BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

06-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
Feel_So_EmThree
Rep
Drives: Car

Engine Whine?

Hello everybody

Can anybody tell me what this whine is and if I should be concerned?

Also, on a separate note, I may have another unrelated problem. My engine stalled at the light. Was idling lower than 1k and maybe fluctuated a bit lower up and down and then shut off. It's a 2008 6 speed with BE rod bearings done. I had just filled up gas and pulled out when this happened.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Whine starts at 7 seconds.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
donnyblaze1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel_So_EmThree View Post
Hello everybody

Can anybody tell me what this whine is and if I should be concerned?

Also, on a separate note, I may have another unrelated problem. My engine stalled at the light. Was idling lower than 1k and maybe fluctuated a bit lower up and down and then shut off. It's a 2008 6 speed with BE rod bearings done. I had just filled up gas and pulled out when this happened.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Whine starts at 7 seconds.

In regards to the stall, sounds like a fuel tank breather valve. Check out DIY: Replace Fuel Tank Breather Valve (Fix for bouncing idle at fuel station) https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1273927
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:16 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

I'd give it a proper search OP. You'll find you're far from alone with a whine, some coming from plenum leak. I believe specially when whissling rather than whining.

Last edited by Helmsman; 06-27-2019 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F82

Can you take a video acceleration? mine sound also…

install new steering pump and reservoir but nothing..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
Feel_So_EmThree
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyblaze1 View Post
In regards to the stall, sounds like a fuel tank breather valve. Check out DIY: Replace Fuel Tank Breather Valve (Fix for bouncing idle at fuel station) https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1273927
That could be it for the stall. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
I'd give it a proper search OP. You'll find you're far from alone with a whine, some coming from plenum leak. I believe specially when whissling rather than whining.
Yes I guess it is more of a whistle. Doing a search pulls up possible problems with the idle control valve? Which could explain the stall as well LOL.

But ALCOBENDAS, your video to me doesn't show the same whistle/whine? I don't hear the same whistle that I have but I mean you would notice a change in sound.

I'll be going to the shop today to see if they have any idea...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

When the breather valve is on the way out, it only stalls after a fill up. If it happens when you have less gas it maybe something else. The part isn't that pricey and the DIY isn't that hard. The main hiccup seems to be the hose on the back of the unit, but if you disconnect it you can have better access.

It will give you practice pulling off the plenum.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
Feel_So_EmThree
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
When the breather valve is on the way out, it only stalls after a fill up. If it happens when you have less gas it maybe something else. The part isn't that pricey and the DIY isn't that hard. The main hiccup seems to be the hose on the back of the unit, but if you disconnect it you can have better access.

It will give you practice pulling off the plenum.
The car did stall right after I filled up a bit of gas. I was close to empty. This could be it as well for the stalling lol. Thanks for the useful info.

As for the whistling, it turns out it was a vacuum leak from a valvetronic install. The car whisperer would put his finger to plug a small line and the whistling disappeared. Let go and the whistling came back.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 05:40 AM   #8
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel_So_EmThree View Post
That could be it for the stall. Thank you.

Yes I guess it is more of a whistle. Doing a search pulls up possible problems with the idle control valve? Which could explain the stall as well LOL.

But ALCOBENDAS, your video to me doesn't show the same whistle/whine? I don't hear the same whistle that I have but I mean you would notice a change in sound.

I'll be going to the shop today to see if they have any idea...
Mine at idle sound +/- for center and passenger side.. this week remove plenum to see all and take a video

Please can you explain what valvetronic line for search this.. thanks
Appreciate 0