BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

213E OEM software: The best NA mod...

...for older cars that haven't been updated!

EDIT: It's 231E, not 213E. Sorry about that.

A $95 flash to the newest completely OEM software version netted me 22 HP!

The long story is that I took my '08 to Tom at EAS to get the Evolve tune. He read my software and sent if to Sal. The next week, I came back to have it uploaded and to get a before and after dyno. The before dyno put down a disappointing 349.74 WHP. I have a filter, pulley, and "full exhaust" with HFC. The Evolve tune based on my files showed good gains of more than 18 HP but I was still disappointed with 368.34 WHP with my mods and a tune.

Tom suggested that I may have old software but he couldn't see what version I had. By pulling my service history, we discovered that there was no sign of an update. For $95, Tom flashed my car from the old software (100E IIRC) with Evolve tune to a completely stock version of the latest software (231E). The car put down 372.12 WHP with the new stock software! Nothing was changed besides the software, the conditions were the same, it was flashed with the car strapped to the dyno.

Tom re-read the new software and sent it to Sal at Evolve to be re-tuned. I'm hoping for ~390 WHP with the new software!

The moral of this story is, make sure you have the latest software before you get a tune! Especially if your '08 has never been updated!

Last edited by M3PO; 04-17-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Interesting. Why would BMW switch the tune unless internals changed? We aren't talking slight tweaks but a significant change. Thanks for posting.
      04-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

How can I find out what software I have? Can I buy the software and have it flashed by EAS for 95?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
How can I find out what software I have? Can I buy the software and have it flashed by EAS for 95?
Like I said, it's difficult to tell what you have. The tuners can tell once it's been read and to them using the cable that comes with the tune. The best way IMO is to have the dealership pull your service records. BMW will only update it if there is an issue so if you didn't have a software related engine issue, there's a good chance that you have old software.

Anyone who is not local to a tuner will have to pay a BMW dealer to update the software, I think. They may charge more than $95.
      04-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Interesting. Why would BMW switch the tune unless internals changed? We aren't talking slight tweaks but a significant change. Thanks for posting.
I don't have a good answer to this. I cant think of a good reason to bother tweaking the software unless there was a driveability issue. There haven't been any as far as I know. Although, IIRC the DME software was updated as part of the solution to the DCT lagging issue.

I would consider these to be slight weaks though. The car is making 5% more power, not a huge amount but definitely noticeable. The software is the reason IMO that people generally believe the later cars to be stronger.
      04-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Forgive my ignorance but I'm a little lost. Why does it matter what version of software your car has if it's going to be tuned by an aftermarket company? I thought once a car was being tuned the tuner was able to do whatever he pleased to the computer
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Very interesting. This would prove very beneficial to my piggy-back ECU which uses the OEM DME. Why does tomorrow have to be Sunday?
      04-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Forgive my ignorance but I'm a little lost. Why does it matter what version of software your car has if it's going to be tuned by an aftermarket company? I thought once a car was being tuned the tuner was able to do whatever he pleased to the computer
This is also something that I was curious about.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

I am so hoping this is the issue with my 08. I believe tuners like Evolve and ESS offer remote tuning so if you are up for buying the cable you can get them to update it remotely.
      04-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes
I am so hoping this is the issue with my 08. I believe tuners like Evolve and ESS offer remote tuning so if you are up for buying the cable you can get them to update it remotely.
But if I am understanding this correctly you would first have to get the newest software from BMW and then have a tuner "tune" on top of that correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Where would one get the cable and how much is an updated oem tune from our vendors? I'd love to check my software version as well.
      04-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

+3. Why do you need the latest OEM file when you're paying for the tune?
      04-15-2012, 03:05 AM   #13
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I believe that BMW made tweaks in places that the tuners don't. The tuners are still able to make similar gains with the new software. This is the software that comes stock on the newer cars and it's still worthwhile to tune them. I will update this next week when I have the tuned version of the new software uploaded and the car re-dynoed.

Quote:
But if I am understanding this correctly you would first have to get the newest software from BMW and then have a tuner "tune" on top of that correct?
Correct. You want the newest software as the basis of the tune. The dealer can upgrade the software. You may also be able to have it done remotely, not sure there. I don't think so though, because when Tom did mine, he uploaded the tune from a regular PC but used a different device (I forget the name, Auto Logic maybe) to update the software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
Where would one get the cable and how much is an updated oem tune from our vendors? I'd love to check my software version as well.
All of the big tuners (Evolve, ESS, etc) use the same cable to upload their tune. So to get the cable, you would need to purchase a tune. Apparently, you can't tell which version of the software you have just from reading it with the cable. Tom was not able to tell during the reading process. We were able to determine that it hadnt based on my service records though. Also, I'm sure the tuners can tell once you send them your files.

EAS charges $95 to update the software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draff1 View Post
+3. Why do you need the latest OEM file when you're paying for the tune?
The tune is based off of your particular software on the your particular DME. If you have the old software, your tune will be a modified version of that. From what I can tell, the new software produces gains via tweaks in areas that the tuners don't modify. So you want the new version AND the tuners modifications to make the most power.
      04-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

I wish the tuners would chime in. Also, I currently have the delete R... would I need to remove it to get my software updated?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3/09 e90 335d/13 f10M5

Would this void a CPO warranty? I have an 08 and I'm not sure of the software.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Jamie430
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: honda

I would consider these to be slight weaks though. The car is making 5% more power, not a huge amount but definitely noticeable. The software is the reason IMO that people generally believe the later cars to be stronger.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
Yamdan
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

My car is heading in for the latest Bmw software the 24th and then Ill have the Evolve stage 1 waiting :-)

My car is a late 2008 with the 2009 spec
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
Can the dealer print out service records for free ? I bought my car used and I am curious if it's been updated or not...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

What could I tell the dealer to have them feel obligated to update the DME?

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

They won't update it unless there is an identifiable issue (some sort of CODE, CEL, misfire, etc.) You can pay them to do it though.
      04-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
I wish the tuners would chime in. Also, I currently have the delete R... would I need to remove it to get my software updated?
Yes, flashing to the new software will overwrite your Evolve tune. You will need to re-read the new files and send them to Sal to retune it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Sweat View Post
Would this void a CPO warranty? I have an 08 and I'm not sure of the software.
Flashing to the newest, completely stock software should not void the warranty. Adding a tune may be different, not sure there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikdasneak View Post
Can the dealer print out service records for free ? I bought my car used and I am curious if it's been updated or not...
I believe they can. Tom printed mine by logging into the dealer system. It has a nice break down of all service work, packages, options, MSRP, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
What could I tell the dealer to have them feel obligated to update the DME?

- KJ
I'm not sure on this one. You'd need to have some sort of software related driveability issue to make them feel obligated. If you ask nicely and have a good relationship with them, it's not inconceivable for them to do it for free as a courtesy.

While this software doesn't fix any major driveability issues (AFAIK) the car does seem to run much better. It starts better, idles better, etc. That could be placebo though lol!
      04-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep

I feel like that's kinda crap that BMW doesn't just let all M owners have the newest software for free. I would think they would want each and every M car out there to be running at its best. It's probably unlikely that every owner would even take advantage of the update but to those that would like it, why not make it free?
Appreciate 0