BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

VMR quality.... AGAIN?

Anyone else have this problem? Received 4 matte black VMR CSL's, in.... two shades of black. First thing I did was check the shipping boxes, yup, all say matte black.

I know, the one on the right looks glossy or even hyperblack, but I assure you it is matte. Looks almost like it was hit with a clearcoat after painting matte, or vmr just has major quality control issues.

They pissed me off because its obviously their fault and instead of stepping up and shipping replacements asap, I will have had to wait two weeks for them to actually ship replacements and have them arrive from CA - These are my snow rims and its snowing today, so for the second time this week, I am stranded at home. Hey VMR, :finger:

I guess you really DO get what you pay for. Lets just hope the ones that arrive aren't a third shade.
      12-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

thread getting moved to vendor feedback in

moved..
      12-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
PrePharm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 White M3 Coupe M-DCT

That blows.. That is a nice set of wheels for winter! How much did you pay and what size, if you don't mind me asking?

G' luck with them!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

VMR quality/shipment problems are well known... and yes you get what you pay for.

also make sure you check for peeled off paint on the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

You have had the worst luck when it comes to wheels. So much for quality control - I don't know how this sh*t can happen, I guess people are just too lazy to look to see what they are shipping. Hope you get this sorted soon - complete bs you have to wait so long. Not sure who you are dealing with but they should correct this ASAP.

Good luck.

I ordered spacers two weeks ago and was told I would have them in 5 days. Vendor responded to my PM's with in minutes when I was buying, havent had a response in 3 days when asking for status of the shipment.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

I just don't like VMR wheels in general. After I bent four of them, never purchased again
You get what you pay for
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

You should look into a set of AluFelgen wheels. The guys on E90Post have a lot of good things to say about them.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi

Sub! Sorry to here about that:-( hope they get them
fixed for you

Last edited by ///V\3Dude; 12-06-2009 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I have dealth with VMR and they have always been pretty good. So why are they making you wait? Maybe you can still mount the snows and then send the off-color ones back for a full refund.

I will agree that the finish is not exactly flawless but...you get what you pay for which is still a pretty decent wheel at a great price.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

M3dude, ya my luck with rims is not good this season - finally got my refund for the first set, and am still waiting on the refund for the mounting. This rim nightmare has been going on for almost two months. So much for early planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I have dealth with VMR and they have always been pretty good. So why are they making you wait? Maybe you can still mount the snows and then send the off-color ones back for a full refund.

I will agree that the finish is not exactly flawless but...you get what you pay for which is still a pretty decent wheel at a great price.
This really isnt about being flawless or not (although one of the rims did come with a couple 3mm chips on the edge), its about being two different finishes and bad quality control. I cant really have two mounted because I am not sure what version of the matte the replacements will be. I need to match them up. Anyway, it wouldnt save any time from a mounting perspective and I'm not going to put just two snows on my car - driving on even 2 ps2's in the snow is not worth the risk.

I actually didnt know about the color difference until I had already brought all 4 rims and tires to the dealer - the dealer called me to make sure that I wanted these two different colors on the car - thank God they did, and it just proves how off the color difference is. He said a few people noticed the difference and commented on them. Previously, I opened one and it looked ok so I left the others in the plastic and brought them down for mounting, so I never noticed - the plastic sheen covered it up.

After waiting a couple days for vmr's initial reply (which IMO should have been an instantaneous "we'll ship out two replacements immediately"), I had to send a picture that showed the difference between two rim colors clearly (see above). Then a day or two later, I was forced to "prove" that two of the rims were bad and not just one (pic showed one - like I was going to lie about it!?). So then I had to go down there again to take a pic with all 4 rims. Then I had to wait 4-5 days over Thanksgiving holiday for a reply. You can imagine how patient my small dealer was during this malarkey.

By this time the tires and rims had been at my dealer for about a week, and they are not a warehouse, so I was concerned I'd have to go pick them all up. I had asked for expedited shipping because I didnt want to have to go and pick the rims and tires up and then later bring them back. As you can imagine this is a HUGE pita for me because I have to borrow a truck to get them all there.

I really didnt think the requested 1 or 2/3 day shipping was unreasonable considering this was a manufacturing defect, required a lot of effort on my part to get pics, talk to my retailer/dealer, and just the mental headache of knowing that if its snowing on a work day I cant get to work. This is a huge problem for me. But in the end companies like vmr will learn what real customer service is, so guess what, enjoy this thread vmr!
      12-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Got it, sounds reasonable. I'm kind of guessing that you would have better customer service going through a dealer vrs direct with VMR.

Once it started snowing, it becomes a catch 22. You can't even drive your car to get the snow tires put on so you can drive your car.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

Oh, I was going through a dealer, but I did not bring them up here - They were ok and wanted to keep them out of it because its not their problem - no point in shooting the messenger, so to speak.

I am going to mount the rims myself, so that part is ok!

Last edited by Subw00er; 12-07-2009 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Hi Doug,

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. There were multiple parties involved with your order and I believe that led to part of the delay and miscommunication regarding the issue you were having.

Just to clear things up a bit, we first found out about the mix up late Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving and were unable to ship out that day. Unfortunately, due to Thanksgiving weekend, we were not able to ship anything out as the shipping company were not picking up or delivering for the holidays.

On Friday we received conflicting information on whether it was one wheel or two wheels from our dealers. Thus, we asked to have a photo sent of all 4 wheels to verify whether it was one or two wheels. After receiving the photo the following Tuesday, we promptly shipped out the correct amount wheels that same day.

We place great importance on our customer service and try to facilitate and solve any problems that customer may have in a timely manner. If you would like to discuss this matter further, I'd be more than happy to speak with you directly.

-Jiin
      12-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

I just bought a set of VB3's myself (winters)...through EAS. I will say EAS was great to work with...but something happenned with your shipping company (or EAS'). This "Ontrac" delivery company is terrible. I received a Ontrac tracking number from EAS the day after I placed my order (last Tues). I went to the Ontrac website to check on an estimated delivery date and it was 12/3 (last Thursday). Well, Thursday came and went and no delivery. I called Ontrac's customer service Thurs night and was promised that they would re-deliver on Friday. By Noon on Friday still no delivery, I called customer service again and had the issue escalated to the GM at the "facility" (local package sorting center) and was "promised" that the wheels would be delivered by COB Friday. . . well, by 8pm Friday, still no delivery. I called customer service again...and all the person could do was send an email out to the supervisor and said he hoped someone would call me back with what happenned...never got a call back...not even Monday (this morning) did I get a phone call...I had to call them back to find out what was going on. Finally, they said the package was on the truck and was to be delivered today...and to my amazement the shipment actually came today!

What is up w/Ontrac? I have had Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc...and those companies rarely ever miss a stated delivery date...if they do miss it's only by a day...but these guys missed it by 4 days (counting the weekend). Find a new delivery company...these guys suck.

Sorry to jack the thread, but VMR/EAS needs to find a new west coast delivery company....as much as you might not want to hear this, the poor shipping service reflects on you.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #15
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

Jiiin, There was never any confusion about how many needed replacing, I was clear about that from the start...and around here, at least, its business as usual on a post Thanksgiving Friday, but that still ignores the fact that you could have shipped it faster. I didn't think it was too much to ask considering the circumstances (that is, not my fault).

So anyway, what happened to the paint?! Did you mix a bad batch or something? Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited by Subw00er; 12-08-2009 at 01:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #16
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

man... do I really have to bring up this thread?! 191 Replies and 13,127 Views.

Also attached is my VMR wheel after two weeks of ownership.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=vmr+quality

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #17
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

And at one point i was thinking about a set of these... Good thing I never took the plunge. Now instead, my lms r part of my winter wheels along with adv1 lol. Good luck buddy getting this sorted out. Hipefully ull b back on the road in no time.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #18
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post

painted vs powder coated?
      12-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #19
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
VMR quality/shipment problems are well known... and yes you get what you pay for.

also make sure you check for peeled off paint on the wheels.
not sure about the "well known" issues. VMR still has a great reputation. i personally never bought from them, but being on car forums for over 6 years i dont think these issues are "well known". You pay what you get for is always a true statement, but VMW is filling for that slice of market, doesnt make them bad guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Hi Doug,

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. There were multiple parties involved with your order and I believe that led to part of the delay and miscommunication regarding the issue you were having.

Just to clear things up a bit, we first found out about the mix up late Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving and were unable to ship out that day. Unfortunately, due to Thanksgiving weekend, we were not able to ship anything out as the shipping company were not picking up or delivering for the holidays.

On Friday we received conflicting information on whether it was one wheel or two wheels from our dealers. Thus, we asked to have a photo sent of all 4 wheels to verify whether it was one or two wheels. After receiving the photo the following Tuesday, we promptly shipped out the correct amount wheels that same day.

We place great importance on our customer service and try to facilitate and solve any problems that customer may have in a timely manner. If you would like to discuss this matter further, I'd be more than happy to speak with you directly.

-Jiin
that's the only way things get done!!!
Quote:

oh wow dude, that's a bit of a low blow. so if you personally had chipped paint on ur $750 set of wheels that makes it "well known issues"? why are you hijacking the thread? you're normally > that.
anyway good luck on your wheel issue.

and for the record, i've had factory powder coated matte black TE37's in the past that chipped like that. do i blame volk? no! it's absolutely our shitty roads and all the things that keep flying left and right. it's like if i blame michelin for the 5 nails i got in my tires this year.

in general, and this isnt specifically about you, but i find complaining about vendors online extremely annoying and immature.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #20
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

I would agree with you, except many times unless it goes public, the vendor doesn't take notice. There is a specific reason people post publicy, it's not to be mean per se. Most of the time, they are trying to get a resolution that has not been satisfactory yet.
      12-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #21
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
I would agree with you, except many times unless it goes public, the vendor doesn't take notice. There is a specific reason people post publicy, it's not to be mean per se. Most of the time, they are trying to get a resolution that has not been satisfactory yet.
the problem is a high percentage of the people who complain are impatient or snobs and they want their shit down ASAP. they'd call the vendor and leave a VM, in 3 hours a flaming thread would be on.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #22
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
the problem is a high percentage of the people who complain are impatient or snobs and they want their shit down ASAP. they'd call the vendor and leave a VM, in 3 hours a flaming thread would be on.
I give you that. People really should exhaust all avenues before they post things. It's seems that the OP did that in this case though.