BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

NEW M5 crash!!

guess its on the home page too

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679088
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Front page of Bimmerpost yesterday morning at 9:35 a.m.

Pretty friggin' crazy!!!

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post

Front page of Bimmerpost yesterday morning at 9:35 a.m.

Pretty friggin' crazy!!!

- KJ

Guess I should go to the home page more often... Can't believe him and the dogs are alive!
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
Guess I should go to the home page more often... Can't believe him and the dogs are alive!
Yeah, I'm really amazed. It shows how safe the M5 is because a 300 km/h crash is NO JOKE!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

bmw to the rescue. good to be alive id say.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Pretty horrific!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Yeah, I'm really amazed. It shows how safe the M5 is because a 300 km/h crash is NO JOKE!!!
This shows how safe the M5 is,are you serious? Thr passengers sustained serious injurious

This is your typical fanboyism,like if a guy survives an accident in an M3. Quickly the consensus is how safe these cars are.
When they split in half, and there are fatalities. Usually nobody mentions how well built those cars are.

A good example, john force survived an accident in a top fuel dragsterthat reach speeds in excess of 300 mph ( 500km/h) and Earnhardt wasnt so lucky in what seemed not to be a bad crash.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

What I'm thinking is that most have been an horrific experience for his kids seeing that. Cant imagine it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
1) This is already reported on bimmerpost, on the front page.

2) I read the Fox News article in the link your provided. I find it funny how they go thier news from bimmerpost instead from German news sources.

Quote:
According to a news summary picked up by BimmerPost, the crash occurred late on Tuesday.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
tico1028
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 - MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3
Quote:
This shows how safe the M5 is,are you serious? Thr passengers sustained serious injurious

This is your typical fanboyism,like if a guy survives an accident in an M3. Quickly the consensus is how safe these cars are.
When they split in half, and there are fatalities. Usually nobody mentions how well built those cars are.

A good example, john force survived an accident in a top fuel dragsterthat reach speeds in excess of 300 mph ( 500km/h) and Earnhardt wasnt so lucky in what seemed not to be a bad crash.

Regardless of what you want to say about supposed "fanboyism", the fact that the car looked like it only rolled over in a typical 60mph crash speaks very highly of the vehicle.

Your comparison of drag cars and NASCAR vehicles is not proper. It's like apples and oranges. Street legal vehicles have very strict safety requirements that can usually take a pass on a race car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
HK8888
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [10.00]
Crash test passed.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
DaYuuuuum, that is serious! Very luck to be alive, and the driver that fled is an A$$HOLE!

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico1028 View Post
Regardless of what you want to say about supposed "fanboyism", the fact that the car looked like it only rolled over in a typical 60mph crash speaks very highly of the vehicle.

Your comparison of drag cars and NASCAR vehicles is not proper. It's like apples and oranges. Street legal vehicles have very strict safety requirements that can usually take a pass on a race car.
Really? In a funny car,you're sitting pretty much in the engine bay in a tubular frame,no Airbags, strengthen chassis etc. and you think they're built following very strick safety requirements.

My point is there a lot of variables than just the speed they're travelling at...this doesnt prove how safe the new M5 is. People survive in most rollover accidents.

This crash happens at 315mph, i guess it proves how safe those funny cars are.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
tico1028
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 - MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3
Quote:

Really? In a funny car,you're sitting pretty much in the engine bay in a tubular frame,no Airbags, strengthen chassis etc. and you think they're built following very strick safety requirements.

My point is there a lot of variables than just the speed they're travelling at...this doesnt prove how safe the new M5 is. People survive in most rollover accidents.

This crash happens at 315mph, i guess it proves how safe those funny cars are.

I meant that your comparison of NASCAR and Drag cars to regular automobiles is like apples and oranges.

I agree with you that "race cars" are not entirely safe, as is evidenced by the complete obliteration of everything but the driver's area in a small collision.

I agree that a lot of people may cite BMW's "awesomeness" purely from a fanboy view, but I do think that this crash does speak well to the design of the M5 from an objective point of view.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

I find it amazing how little life is lost in modern racing myself. Has anyone died in F1 since Senna? Even Senna was reportedly in good shape all around except for the obvious exception which was a piece of bad luck. But then no one can outrun the proverbial hand of God. I don't know what the safety rules are in the various upper echelon racing series but they have to be there and significantly effect the outcome because there have been many high speed wrecks but comparatively few deaths over the last several decades.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I meant that your comparison of NASCAR and Drag cars to regular automobiles is like apples and oranges.

I agree with you that "race cars" are not entirely safe, as is evidenced by the complete obliteration of everything but the driver's area in a small collision.

I agree that a lot of people may cite BMW's "awesomeness" purely from a fanboy view, but I do think that this crash does speak well to the design of the M5 from an objective point of view.
I've seen at least two crashes on bimmerpost where an M3,a 335i split in half. What does it say of the design of those cars?
We dont know how much the driver slowed down,it's not like he hit the car that pulled in front of him. People survive in most rollover accidents.
We dont even know the severity of the injuries to the victims....

this crash speaks well to the design of the Pontiac Firebird,unlike the new 5,the teen actually hit head on before getting airborne...at 100mph. The Firechicken must be safer than the e92 M3,335i...

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
I've seen at least two crashes on bimmerpost where an M3,a 335i split in half. What does it say of the design of those cars?
We dont know how much the driver slowed down,it's not like he hit the car that pulled in front of him. People survive in most rollover accidents.
We dont even know the severity of the injuries to the victims....

this crash speaks well to the design of the Pontiac Firebird,unlike the new 5,the teen actually hit head on before getting airborne...at 100mph. The Firechicken must be safer than the e92 M3.

That firebird accident happened right here in Cincinnati I believe...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
I find it amazing how little life is lost in modern racing myself. Has anyone died in F1 since Senna? Even Senna was reportedly in good shape all around except for the obvious exception which was a piece of bad luck. But then no one can outrun the proverbial hand of God. I don't know what the safety rules are in the various upper echelon racing series but they have to be there and significantly effect the outcome because there have been many high speed wrecks but comparatively few deaths over the last several decades.
At least in Formula ones case
There have been no deaths BECAUSE of Sennas tragic accident
Safety is much better now
Ironically, Senna was a strong supporter of increased safety in his final year
      04-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Me too, they're professionals. Also Nowadays they build racetracks with safety in mind. Some IRL drivers hate certain tracks hey dont consider safe and race with that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
oemparts
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325d coupe

truely shocking!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
this crash speaks well to the design of the Pontiac Firebird,unlike the new 5,the teen actually hit head on before getting airborne...at 100mph. The Firechicken must be safer than the e92 M3,335i...

100 MPH vs 186 MPH is a HUGE difference.

The force of impact becomes exponentially greater at 186 MPH.

Surviving a 300 km/h crash definitely shows a car is safe.

I'm far from a fanboy as I've owned cars of all luxury brands over the years. I'm not a "bimmer for life" guy.

Remember the Enzo that got cut in half?

The driver survived and took off before the cops came. That also showed that thr Enzo was safe (even though the car sheared in half).

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just because they "survived" the crash doesn't mean they will live. Sometimes instant death in the crash is better than the slow death that happens in the ICU over the next weeks or months, or the life of a quadriplegic or similar fate. Hopefully they all make a full or near full recovery.
Appreciate 0