BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

6MT - Replacing flywheel - LUK vs OEM?

Hi.

So at some point in time, I will want to replace the clutch on my 07.07 production M3.

I know that around 09.08 BMW changed the design on the flywheel to address some of the noise concerns they were hearing.

So, as well as a new clutch kit, I will need a new flywheel.

I noticed there are a couple of options:

a) OEM
b) LUK ( http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-3-E90-E93...item43cb3bb550 )

Has anyone used the LUK flywheels before? Are the OEM's much better? Or essentially the same?

Anyone done a clutch change on a pre 09.08 and gone with a LUK flywheel instead of the OEM?

The LUK is about 35-40% cheaper BTW, that's why I am asking.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Aren't OEM ones made by Luk?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

07.07! One of the first! I'd figure a way to work that into your license plate.

How many miles on that beauty?

Oh, and

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Use nothing but OEM when it comes to the flywheel. These have to be precision machined, balanced and manufactured. This is a constant velocity part and any deviation from exact specs will likely cause serious damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
anom3
Captain
Rep

this is what i read as well.

but most of the posts talk about older M3's, not the E9X ones. so i am unsure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
Aren't OEM ones made by Luk?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Luk makes oem. On my 99M3, I bought the Luk for 1/2 the price.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt

My only experience with LUK products was in my previous '05 G35 coupe. I changed the clutch(using OEM infiniti clutch) and flywheel(LUK dual mass flywheel). I drove the car for over 5,000 miles before selling it with no issues. The clutch was a little hard the first 2-3k miles but it got softer as it was broken in. I didn't notice any other difference between the stock and LUK flywheel. LUK flywheel's are advertised as OEM replacement and I think they do a good job. Not sure how it would be on your M though. Hope this helps a little.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Keep in mind that just because the OEM maker is LUK doesn’t mean the off shelf replacement is made to the same exact OEM tolerances. This is a labor intensive job. Unless you can confirm (through part numbers) that it is exactly the same as the OEM flywheel I wouldn’t chance using it.

Penny wise, pound foolish.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
anom3
Captain
Rep

everywhere i see the luks come up it always lists both part numbers.

the luk internal one.

and the proper, matching, bmw oem one.

Original Ersatzteil Nr.: (Nur zu Vergleichszwecken)
2 283 820 | 21 21 2 283 820

thats off the ebay listing that caught my eye.

the bmw part number (21 21 ...) is an exact match to whats needed in the vehicle.

to further complicate things, its luk who 'invented' the dual mass fly wheel...

thats why i was hoping on catching someone who actually had one installed and their impression vs the oem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
Keep in mind that just because the OEM maker is LUK doesn’t mean the off shelf replacement is made to the same exact OEM tolerances. This is a labor intensive job. Unless you can confirm (through part numbers) that it is exactly the same as the OEM flywheel I wouldn’t chance using it.

Penny wise, pound foolish.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Use nothing but OEM when it comes to the flywheel. These have to be precision machined, balanced and manufactured. This is a constant velocity part and any deviation from exact specs will likely cause serious damage.
That is a broad statement unless you have some insight on the manufacturing capabilities. There are plenty of places in the world that can hold tolerance very tight. Whether this includes flywheel manufactures and the capabilities of each manufacture, I am unsure. But I doubt only one manufacture can make a flywheel (probably more relates to is there a business case to support providing the flywheel to the market).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
That is a broad statement unless you have some insight on the manufacturing capabilities. There are plenty of places in the world that can hold tolerance very tight. Whether this includes flywheel manufactures and the capabilities of each manufacture, I am unsure. But I doubt only one manufacture can make a flywheel (probably more relates to is there a business case to support providing the flywheel to the market).
If you want to take the chance it’s fine. An ebay listing just copies the OEM information and posts in the ad. If you have ever been involved with a clutch swap on a BMW you know it is very labor intensive. I rather do the job properly with the right parts the first time. If not the correct, at best you would need to swap it out again…at worst serious damage. It’s the OP’s call but I wouldn’t trust to purchase such a critical component off ebay
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I like to do the job right with the right parts too, since I am the one doing the job and don't want to do it twice. But I also don't have money to burn and see no need to pay 50 percent more than is necessary for parts. So I research the part I need and then buy it at a good price.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
If you want to take the chance it’s fine. An ebay listing just copies the OEM information and posts in the ad. If you have ever been involved with a clutch swap on a BMW you know it is very labor intensive. I rather do the job properly with the right parts the first time. If not the correct, at best you would need to swap it out again…at worst serious damage. It’s the OP’s call but I wouldn’t trust to purchase such a critical component off ebay
Don't get me wrong, I am in agreement with you in regards justifying what you are buying off of EBAY and insuring you are buying something suitable for the car. But to say only OEM can build a capable flywheel is where I see a difference. Further investigation is indeed needed by the OP.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Many people with 335's have used the Luk flywheel with success. There is absolutely no reason that you cannot trust the OEM manufacture of a part. Simply because it doesn't come from BMW means little. They are the inventors of the dual mass flywheel and they make all the dual mass flywheels for BMW. Why wouldn't you trust them? I would

Does it make sens that LUK would run two different manufacturing lines? One for BMW and one for private sale?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
xeux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
Many people with 335's have used the Luk flywheel with success. There is absolutely no reason that you cannot trust the OEM manufacture of a part. Simply because it doesn't come from BMW means little. They are the inventors of the dual mass flywheel and they make all the dual mass flywheels for BMW. Why wouldn't you trust them? I would

Does it make sens that LUK would run two different manufacturing lines? One for BMW and one for private sale?
It is possible that BMW only accepts less tolerance, and when LUK manufacture them the ones that don't meet the tighter BMW specs are sold as LUK OEM like replacements.

Not saying that's the case, but food for thought.
Appreciate 0