BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

12-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #67
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrBMW3 View Post
I test drove the F before I did the E92 M3. The mufflers, to me, were tuned to sound like a GT Mustang and the faux quads were not a selling point. When I rev the M3, you hear and feel, M-Power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3twins View Post
I previously owned an '08 ISF and traded up to the ///M3 (e93). After reading this thread and hearing about the new LSD, decided to drive the '10 with my buddy who is a Lexus salesman.

In short, the LSD doesn't make much, if any, difference in the driving or handling characteristics of the car. The F still felt very unsettled in turns, poor steering feedback, way too much understeer, harsh/stiff ride due to suspension settings and the chassis still lacked the refinement and rigidity of the ///M3. In the end it all adds up to a ride that just feels poorly executed and does not instill a feeling of satisfaction and confidence. I state all of this even in comparison to my E93 vert. It just feels so much more balanced and is a much more rewarding driving experience.. And honestly I could really care less how much faster one car or the other could make it around the "Ring".. I want to just enjoy driving the car!!

Finally, someone got back on topic! My opinion, though I've never driven an IS-F, is that an LSD will not be able to knock off enough seconds on a track to get close to an M3. These cars were designed to go around a track FAST. This is what the M division prides themselves on.
      12-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #68
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

So many fanbois on this site.

Let me first state that I think the M3 is an amazing car and that it is class leading in many respects.

But to suggest that the vert will outperform the F is completely laughable.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #69
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Lexus IS-F Gets LSD

Top-of-the-range Lexus gets a limited slip diff, plus other improvements

A series of improvements has been rolled out across the Lexus IS range, and the halo model IS-F gets a Torsen limited slip diff. Despite the fact that the 417bhp 5-litre V8 remains unchanged, the revised car gets around the Fuji International Speedway 2sec a lap quicker than the previous car according to Lexus’s own figures.

Considering that in most comparison tests the M3 is roughly 2~3 seconds quicker on tracks of similar duration this should place the improved IS-F right up there in acceleration. Only it's looks are the sticking point now.
i just am not into the body and the exhaust pipes stacked. nah
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #70
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
And that is completely cool.

We each have our own opinions of what looks good and that is completely subjective. It would be pretty lame if we all liked the same things and had to drive the same cars....lol.

They're still close enough that it's a driver's race....(and even closer with the LSD)....magazine/internet numbers mean nothing out in the real world.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #71
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3twins View Post
I previously owned an '08 ISF and traded up to the ///M3 (e93). After reading this thread and hearing about the new LSD, decided to drive the '10 with my buddy who is a Lexus salesman.

In short, the LSD doesn't make much, if any, difference in the driving or handling characteristics of the car. The F still felt very unsettled in turns, poor steering feedback, way too much understeer, harsh/stiff ride due to suspension settings and the chassis still lacked the refinement and rigidity of the ///M3. In the end it all adds up to a ride that just feels poorly executed and does not instill a feeling of satisfaction and confidence. I state all of this even in comparison to my E93 vert. It just feels so much more balanced and is a much more rewarding driving experience.. And honestly I could really care less how much faster one car or the other could make it around the "Ring".. I want to just enjoy driving the car!!
Cdnrockies I think you missed his point, he doesn't imply at all that it is faster. Re-read his statement. I personally like the IS F, it looks great in white. How does that bad boy drive in Calgary right now? Haha
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #72
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I saw the new '10 IS F when I decided to drive through my local dealer's parking lot, and I think the new wheels look pretty cool.

Owning a Japanese built car is extremely tempting for me. That reason alone made me hesitate on going with the M3.....Yet the M3 convinced me with its unique and special driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #73
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
Cdnrockies I think you missed his point, he doesn't imply at all that it is faster. Re-read his statement. I personally like the IS F, it looks great in white. How does that bad boy drive in Calgary right now? Haha
LOL!

Probably about as good as your M3 does in Etown (where I'm from btw ).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #74
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
LOL!

Probably about as good as your M3 does in Etown (where I'm from btw ).
Hahaha, dude I made the tough decision to park it for the winter , right now that is looking like a good idea! You must be an oilers fan then I hope or you will be banned from the board!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #75
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
Hahaha, dude I made the tough decision to park it for the winter , right now that is looking like a good idea! You must be an oilers fan then I hope or you will be banned from the board!
They're just cars...lol.

And yes, I am an Oil fan....although it's tough in Flames country....and the fact that the Oil has been so bad lately.

With your handle shouldn't you be driving a van?....lol.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #76
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
dude who cares... u know the first mod is a single exhaust with a 25" tip hanging low from either side while the other side has nothing, a gap!

is there news on a 6mt or a 7mt? (since lexus went waaaay overboard with 8 spd transmission)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #77
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

I wonder how reliable that IS-F is. I would gladly own one if it were to be reliable like other Lexi's...When thinking of power, Lexus rarely comes to mind.

In my (inexperienced) opinion:

0. GTR*
1. M3
2. C63
3. RS4
4. IS-F
5. CTS-V

* 0, because It would be under-wraps and babied 350 days of the year.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #78
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post
I wonder how reliable that IS-F is. I would gladly own one if it were to be reliable like other Lexi's...When thinking of power, Lexus rarely comes to mind.

In my (inexperienced) opinion:

0. GTR*
1. M3
2. C63
3. RS4
4. IS-F
5. CTS-V

* 0, because It would be under-wraps and babied 350 days of the year.
The F is very reliable, especially compared to anything else in the class. You see very, very little for issues posted on any of the Lexus forums.

I'm not sure how you're ranking the cars, but it seems like you're listing by performance. The V is faster than anything but the GTR. I could also post multiple videos of the F taking down RS4's....but I won't.

Straight performance wise:

0. GTR*
1. CTS-V
2. M3
3. C63
4. IS-F
5. RS4

2-5 are close enough to be a driver's race on the open road....while 0 and 1 will own the rest stock vs stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #79
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
I'm not sure how you're ranking the cars, but it seems like you're listing by performance. The V is faster than anything but the GTR. I could also post multiple videos of the F taking down RS4's....but I won't.

Personal bias/ownership...i.e Which would I rather own.
Appreciate 0