BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The perished heroes of F1 (warning: graphic)

GORE WARNING! THIS VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES, BUT IT'S MAINLY A TRIBUTE TO HONOR THOSE THAT DIED TO PAVE THE PATH OF F1 TO WHAT IT IS TODAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
At the end of lap 21 of the Grand Prix at Kyalami, South Africa, on March 5, 1977, Renzo Zorzi retired his Shadow with a split fuel pipe which had caused a small, but harmless fire. Zorzi's car was parked in a blind brow but two marshalls stationed on the opposite side of the track decided to cross to tackle the fire. At that moment, cars driven by Pryce and Hans-Joachim Stuck suddenly appeared, nearly side-by-side. Stuck's car passed behind the first marshall and ahead of the second marshall, 19 year old Jansen Van Vuuren. Pryce however could not avoid Van Vuuren, hitting him at high speed and killing the marshall instantly. The impact seemed to have only minimum influence on Pryce's car, only slightly damaging its front wing. However, the fire extinguisher Van Vuuren was carrying struck Pryce on the head, killing Pryce instantly. Pryce's car continued down the straight track, gradually slowing down and verging to the right. Jacques Laffite, who was unsure what was going on, moved alongside as the two cars approached Crowthorne, at that point Pryce's car skidded off the barriers, back on the track again, where it hit Laffite's Ligier, taking Laffite out of the race but not injuring him.

As to Van Vuuren, the injuries to his body were extremely severe. His body was split in half and dismembered. It was identified only by exclusion, after the race director gathered all of his colleagues.

(The Impact was so severe it ripped Pryce's helmet off)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Pryce

Last edited by Xens; 06-25-2006 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Wow, that was an amazing video. It makes me think about Ralf Schumachers crash in Indy and the fact he's still alive. You realize how brave the drivers of the past were, and how much the sport as a whole has improved safety. There are some very graphic scenes in the movie btw, so beware.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 01:47 AM   #3
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 TRD Off Road 4r - 2018 M3

and also how much safety has improved to protect these drivers.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

Great video... fitting that they ended with Senna, but there have been deaths since.
      06-25-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 TRD Off Road 4r - 2018 M3

Has there? I dont recall any further deaths since Senna...
Appreciate 0