BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

09-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Exclamation Radar Detectors

I've never owned one and wondered if anyone can recommend the best makes/models on the market?

I also (ideally) would like one that can be discreetly installed in the car and not stuck on the windscreen like an aftermarket sat nav - pictures would be appreciated if you have done this.

I regularly get updated fixed speed camera locations on my nav disc so its more protection against mobile radar detectors I'm looking for.

Any thoughts, views, or recommendations would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
MagicMtnDan
E92 wiithout iDrive (excellent)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Silverstone/blk

www.valentine1.com

2008 E92 M3 Silverstone II
2006 MB G500 Gelandewagen Irridium Silver
2006 MB SL500 Irridium Silver (wife's)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

I was always curious if cops only pull you over only if they are actually camping with a radar, or do they also pull you over even if your going 80 and they are already driving on the high way ( obviously if your driving 120 they would pull you over camping or on road lol ).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

They'll pull you over by pacing you, as well, yes.

Edit: You just get lucky that most of the time they are on the road, they are on their way somewhere else, and don't really care.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking

You need a V1 and they make the Euro Version to since you are in the UK this oversea's company should be able to hook you up. www.delonixradar.com This site also have laser jammers to you can buy good luck.

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,

Last edited by SHADY1; 09-02-2008 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

You need to understand how cops in your area target speeders.

I live in an area where there are a mix of methods:

1. VASCAR - Two white lines painted on the road a specified distance apart. A police officer manually turns on and off a timer that automatically calculates your speed (distance over the time it took from line to line). This usually is off a bit due to reaction time, etc. Easiest way to avoid this is to learn where these spots are, and if you catch yourself going over the first line too quickly, brake hard and go over the 2nd line at less than the speed limit to balance out your avg. speed.

2. ENRADD - Enradd is where there are 2 black boxes a set distance apart from eachother (usually very close) with lasers pointed across the street. This is very precise and impossible to detect. The only offering I can tell you here as far as a tip is concerned is be aware when cops are doing speeding and aggressive driving campaigns, as the officers in my area don't bust this technology out unless its "Smooth Operator" days or other speed enforcement program days (these are usually published, buried in news print about a week or 2 in advance).

3. Pacing - Pacing happens when you are speeding on the highway and a cop comes behind you and maintains your speed for a set distance (usually 0.2 miles is a standard). Although, if you are really hauling ass, they can simply accellerate up to your speed and nail you anyway. Only way to prevent against this is watch your 6 or get a detector that shows you directionally where a radar signal is coming from (valentine1)

4. Laser - Laser is instant on, highly accurate, and you can only defend against it with a jammer or blocker. High end radar detectors will detect it but by then you are already too late.

5. Radar - Radar works by detecting radar frequencies (bands) bouncing off cars ahead of you, to the side of you, or behind you.

That being said, think about what your needs are before getting anything. I roll around with a Valentine1 because there's radar on highways where I live and radar everywhere in NJ. If you're just putting around back roads, there's a chance they are using other means to catch you.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
I use Passport SOLO. I picked this because it is not hardwired into your car and runs on batteries. i hate to cluster my interior with cables... you know, iPod and all. Plus in states that it in illegal, you can just remove it and throw it under your seat at a moment's notice. It's also great when you have multiple cars.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
You need to understand how cops in your area target speeders.

I live in an area where there are a mix of methods:

1. VASCAR - Two white lines painted on the road a specified distance apart. A police officer manually turns on and off a timer that automatically calculates your speed (distance over the time it took from line to line). This usually is off a bit due to reaction time, etc. Easiest way to avoid this is to learn where these spots are, and if you catch yourself going over the first line too quickly, brake hard and go over the 2nd line at less than the speed limit to balance out your avg. speed.

2. ENRADD - Enradd is where there are 2 black boxes a set distance apart from eachother (usually very close) with lasers pointed across the street. This is very precise and impossible to detect. The only offering I can tell you here as far as a tip is concerned is be aware when cops are doing speeding and aggressive driving campaigns, as the officers in my area don't bust this technology out unless its "Smooth Operator" days or other speed enforcement program days (these are usually published, buried in news print about a week or 2 in advance).

3. Pacing - Pacing happens when you are speeding on the highway and a cop comes behind you and maintains your speed for a set distance (usually 0.2 miles is a standard). Although, if you are really hauling ass, they can simply accellerate up to your speed and nail you anyway. Only way to prevent against this is watch your 6 or get a detector that shows you directionally where a radar signal is coming from (valentine1)

4. Laser - Laser is instant on, highly accurate, and you can only defend against it with a jammer or blocker. High end radar detectors will detect it but by then you are already too late.

5. Radar - Radar works by detecting radar frequencies (bands) bouncing off cars ahead of you, to the side of you, or behind you.

That being said, think about what your needs are before getting anything. I roll around with a Valentine1 because there's radar on highways where I live and radar everywhere in NJ. If you're just putting around back roads, there's a chance they are using other means to catch you.
My needs I thought were clear - mobile lasers and radar used by police on highways
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Passport 9500i
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan View Post
+1

For the longest time I had never used a Radar Detector. I just kept my head up and stayed attentive. Now that I have one though? Wow. I feel as if I have a 3rd eye, my Valentine1. Don't get me wrong, I'm still attentive and I still have my head up. You absolutely can't solely rely on a radar detector to catch everything. But, I'm picking up radar signals from much farther away and am able to actually track a police car's position using the directional arrows. I appreciate this additional information much much more.

I also have a nice story that happened to me a few weeks ago after I had my V1 for about a month:

I was coming home from work on a Wednesday, around 5:05 PM. I drive down my street and pass by a pick-up truck that is running, with someone in the driver seat, but idling. I noticed it because it was out of the ordinary for the time, but disregarded it as random occurance. When I pulled up to my house and just before I motioned to turn into my garage, my v1 went off. Near full power radar hit, and the arrow is pointing behind me to where that truck was. So I stop immediately, and don't hit my garage door button for fear someone may be trying to track the number. The radar ceased and my v1 calmed. So I hit the button and went on in. Mind you, at this point I just chalk it up to a random radar hit that may be bouncing off some of the houses, or a transmission of some type. The next day, Thursday, at the same time as I'm coming home from work at 5:10ish I see the truck there again. I drive past him and approach my garage, BANG! I get hit with radar again. I wait until the signal ends, then I make a U turn and drive back past the truck to try to see if there is really is a guy in there. As I pass by, not only is there a guy in the truck but he is grill'n me hard! Like full out stare. I give him a bit of a glare back as I pass by and keep on driving and run to the store for a bit. When I returned home that evening the truck was no longer there so I just went on home. Now the last day of this incident, Friday. Again, I come home at 5:10 PM. The truck isn't there this time, so I run down and pick my mail up. (We have community mailboxes in my neighborhood.) When I get to the mailbox, I look up and see a truck ahead of me. It was a different truck from before, but it had a guy sitting in it just chilling. Well, I grab my mail, hop back into my car, and then turn around and head home. As I approach my garage, BANG! I get hit by a radar again. At this point, the source is obvious. So I throw it into reverse, and head back down to the guy. Wary not to speed because he is hitting me with radar after all. I pull my car up to him on the other side of the street, stop, get out and approach his window. He sees me and rolls his window down and I ask him, "Hey do you have a radar gun, I keep getting hit by a signal?" I see his lap...(radar gun, clip board, pen) he replies, "Yes I do." So I'm thinking 'this bastard... it was him all along.' I say, "Hey man, your freaking me out because you keep hitting me RIGHT before I turn into my garage. I'm worried your trying to steal my garage door signal or something. Mind telling me why you are pegging me?" His reply was," There were complaints of speeding in the area so we are conducting a survey here." A survey? Is he for real? He then says, "You shouldn't of been able to detect it though." I just smile and say, "Well I absolutely did. May I see a badge?" He shows me some kind of cheap ass nametag with his name and picture on it. At this point, I really don't want to talk to him anymore. I really wanted to be able to walk away from the conversation if he had malicious intentions. So I ask him to stop tagging me right before I turn into my house, and I get back in my car and go home.

The guy in question hasn't been around since, and its been a few weeks now. So I'm not too worried, I still need to call the PD here and check the guys name out though. However, this was a HUGE testiment to my V1. Not only did it alert me to when someone was, nearest makes no difference, stalking me in my neighborhood. But it also helped me to zero in on the location of the source and bust the dude completely. The arrows are amazing! This is in the running for the ABSOLUTE BEST $400 I have ever spent. I couldn't speak any higher for the V1.

A quick reminder when you get a radar detector, you can not stop looking out for cops. A detecter is not absolute protection, it is a aid. As long as you use it as a tool and not a crutch, you'll be ticket free.
      09-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #11
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Wow... that is quite bizarre. I would of called the cops on him the 2nd time I found him stalking my neighborhood, radar blast or not. His story smells pretty fishy... I wonder what he was really up to. Some kind of nutter.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
+1

For the longest time I had never used a Radar Detector. I just kept my head up and stayed attentive. Now that I have one though? Wow. I feel as if I have a 3rd eye, my Valentine1. Don't get me wrong, I'm still attentive and I still have my head up. You absolutely can't solely rely on a radar detector to catch everything. But, I'm picking up radar signals from much farther away and am able to actually track a police car's position using the directional arrows. I appreciate this additional information much much more.

I also have a nice story that happened to me a few weeks ago after I had my V1 for about a month:

I was coming home from work on a Wednesday, around 5:05 PM. I drive down my street and pass by a pick-up truck that is running, with someone in the driver seat, but idling. I noticed it because it was out of the ordinary for the time, but disregarded it as random occurance. When I pulled up to my house and just before I motioned to turn into my garage, my v1 went off. Near full power radar hit, and the arrow is pointing behind me to where that truck was. So I stop immediately, and don't hit my garage door button for fear someone may be trying to track the number. The radar ceased and my v1 calmed. So I hit the button and went on in. Mind you, at this point I just chalk it up to a random radar hit that may be bouncing off some of the houses, or a transmission of some type. The next day, Thursday, at the same time as I'm coming home from work at 5:10ish I see the truck there again. I drive past him and approach my garage, BANG! I get hit with radar again. I wait until the signal ends, then I make a U turn and drive back past the truck to try to see if there is really is a guy in there. As I pass by, not only is there a guy in the truck but he is grill'n me hard! Like full out stare. I give him a bit of a glare back as I pass by and keep on driving and run to the store for a bit. When I returned home that evening the truck was no longer there so I just went on home. Now the last day of this incident, Friday. Again, I come home at 5:10 PM. The truck isn't there this time, so I run down and pick my mail up. (We have community mailboxes in my neighborhood.) When I get to the mailbox, I look up and see a truck ahead of me. It was a different truck from before, but it had a guy sitting in it just chilling. Well, I grab my mail, hop back into my car, and then turn around and head home. As I approach my garage, BANG! I get hit by a radar again. At this point, the source is obvious. So I throw it into reverse, and head back down to the guy. Wary not to speed because he is hitting me with radar after all. I pull my car up to him on the other side of the street, stop, get out and approach his window. He sees me and rolls his window down and I ask him, "Hey do you have a radar gun, I keep getting hit by a signal?" I see his lap...(radar gun, clip board, pen) he replies, "Yes I do." So I'm thinking 'this bastard... it was him all along.' I say, "Hey man, your freaking me out because you keep hitting me RIGHT before I turn into my garage. I'm worried your trying to steal my garage door signal or something. Mind telling me why you are pegging me?" His reply was," There were complaints of speeding in the area so we are conducting a survey here." A survey? Is he for real? He then says, "You shouldn't of been able to detect it though." I just smile and say, "Well I absolutely did. May I see a badge?" He shows me some kind of cheap ass nametag with his name and picture on it. At this point, I really don't want to talk to him anymore. I really wanted to be able to walk away from the conversation if he had malicious intentions. So I ask him to stop tagging me right before I turn into my house, and I get back in my car and go home.

The guy in question hasn't been around since, and its been a few weeks now. So I'm not too worried, I still need to call the PD here and check the guys name out though. However, this was a HUGE testiment to my V1. Not only did it alert me to when someone was, nearest makes no difference, stalking me in my neighborhood. But it also helped me to zero in on the location of the source and bust the dude completely. The arrows are amazing! This is in the running for the ABSOLUTE BEST $400 I have ever spent. I couldn't speak any higher for the V1.

A quick reminder when you get a radar detector, you can not stop looking out for cops. A detecter is not absolute protection, it is a aid. As long as you use it as a tool and not a crutch, you'll be ticket free.
+1 on your V1 mine have saved me plenty of times, and most of the State Troopers in Texas like to use instant on or pop radar and you have to stay alert. (I always stay behind the rabbit and let them get tagged, V1 saved me last week the rabbit got the ticket poor chick )

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
gasman mike
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Jerez black

rabbit got away

Was driving to Wilmington NC at 9:30 pm in 70mph interstate doing about 80 when nissan passed me going at least 110. I decided to follow thinking the cop would get them. Unh unh. That nissan sped by the cop and woke him up I guess cuz he came out of nowhere and zapped me from behind with instant on and that was that. Dang nissan just kept going. I was pissed. Upside is it only cost me $75 to make it "go away" in that county.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #14
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

I have been very happy with my V1.....cannot comment on other brands as once I found the V1, I never considered anything else.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

I just got saved by my V1 yesterday. Was cruising a little over the limit up a curved hill and I got the laser warning. Sure enough there the cop was as i passed him. Saw him turn his lights on and pull someone else over
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
What bands do they use in the UK? I know europe uses some Ku band that isn't used in the US, so our detectors are worthless against it. V1 is known to be great, but also have a lot of false alarms and can be detected by Spectors (RDDs). 9500xi is great b/c of the lack of falses but doesn't have a rear antenna and is also visable to RDDs. Bel STi has great detection and can't be detected, but no rear antenna and no GPS (but still falses less than V1).

The best is the Escort 9500ci, but at 4 times the price can be hard to justify. I has the best range (yes, from what I hear better than V1), has the GPS to eliminate falses, is built in (discreet), and has a ZR4 laser jammer integrated into the system. $$$$

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #17
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDHNTR View Post
What bands do they use in the UK? I know europe uses some Ku band that isn't used in the US, so our detectors are worthless against it. V1 is known to be great, but also have a lot of false alarms and can be detected by Spectors (RDDs). 9500xi is great b/c of the lack of falses but doesn't have a rear antenna and is also visable to RDDs. Bel STi has great detection and can't be detected, but no rear antenna and no GPS (but still falses less than V1).

The best is the Escort 9500ci, but at 4 times the price can be hard to justify. I has the best range (yes, from what I hear better than V1), has the GPS to eliminate falses, is built in (discreet), and has a ZR4 laser jammer integrated into the system. $$$$
I was looking at the website for the new Beltronics radar detector... Looked pretty nice to me. $450 or so and had GPS. I posted a bulletin on here about it trying to find out if anyone has used it yet but haven't gotten any responses. Looked kinda nice though. I like my V1 but the damn thing is always making noise.
      10-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #18
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
I use Passport SOLO. I picked this because it is not hardwired into your car and runs on batteries. i hate to cluster my interior with cables... you know, iPod and all. Plus in states that it in illegal, you can just remove it and throw it under your seat at a moment's notice. It's also great when you have multiple cars.
I have one too....not the best of them but better than nothing especially when you have multiple cars like you said that you use and need radar to use in between them all.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0