BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #23
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
The rattles in my car have become extremely noticeable after I returned my exhaust back to stock (previously was running a full catless setup that was extremely loud so I could never really hear any of these subtle sounds inside the cabin). I never really noticed any noises until now, and my patience is growing really thin to say the least. I have a TERRIBLE rattle coming from directly in front of me, it almost sounds as if the winshield/dashboard is rattling (it is progressively getting worse). I also have another rattle coming from my rear seats at times. I do not know what to do because its the little things like this that is making me grow to hate the car - do you think the dealer would take a look at this, or probably simply dismiss it? I need to get this fixed I want to pull my hair out everytime I hear my dashboard/winshield creak - its intolerable

I'm with you. Thats why I want to fix these things, or learn how to fix them. I've had the car for 4 years. I've taken great care of it, I'll keep it for another few years if I can fix these few nuances that bother me.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #24
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW M5

For the rattle that sounded as though it were in front of the driver, I had the dealer replace the turn stalk as they said the button at the end of the stalk was loose and it was a semi-common problem. The next time you hear the rattle/buzzing, hold the end of the signal stalk to see if that is the culprit. They also replaced a rotor shield that you could hear buzzing when the windows were down.

For the backseat rattles, I've attributed one of them to the covers that protect the child seat latches, I opened the covers and the sound went away.

Also had a rattle that sounded as though it was coming from the glove box, but found it to be a cupholder issue. A rubber nipple on a mounting point on the cupholder that goes into the glove box was missing, put some electrical tape around it and that seemed to fix it.

Still have a backseat rattle that sounds as though its coming from the passenger side and an occasional drivers side B pillar rattle that I can't isolate.

Rattles drive me crazy!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
MIC328i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

This is just to chime in to this rattle topic, I am surprised to hear so many fellow members having rattle problems on their M3. I came from a E92 335i and there were 0 rattles what so ever during my ownership of the car. That car was also modded too with race suspension and such. Although I'm glad that I haven't find any serious rattle on my E90 M3 yet. But this gets me thinking why would the M3 being a more expensive and solid car is having more of these "Quality" related problem than a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
The most annoying one i have seems to be coming from the passenger dash area inside the vents...sounds like a metallic rattle/buzzing...i took it to the dealer to see what they can find but they blamed the noise on my full akra exhaust...they told me to remove me exhaust then have them fix it...im still learning to live with it.

I also have a rattling that sounds like the windshield is loose...on cold mornings and bumpy roads i hear some kind of creaking noise from the center in front of the nav hump

the other rattles ive tried to fix with felt tape lining and stuff but really no luck...i hear the back seats rattle, rear deck...sucks...my e92 328i is dead quiet
I have the same rattles you mentioned, and also have the Akra Evo exhaust. It comes and goes however with changes in temp. Rear deck mostly rattles on start up (I kept cold-start with tune). I have learned to live with it, I think?

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #27
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
The dealer will look at it under warranty but the techs are only allotted x amount of time to find and solve the rattle. If they can't, they'll just leave it there and write cant duplicate since they aren't going to get paid for their time they just stop and hopefully your car gets reassigned to someone else the next time it's in
I take if you've done this before
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #28
CarbonFoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
Now, are we removing panels and stuff to get to the rattle?

Is that where you're applying the foam backed tape?
I had a couple of locations in the dash that were rattling and both were around the nav unit. At first I pulled the nav unit completly out and tested drove it, which is how I discovered where the second rattle was coming from. I pulled the center dash trim and padded it along with the nav unit and cabling, which deadened the vibrations and rattles for me.

I've also had rattles in the rear deck and the headliner that were isolated with the help of a friend that put his hands all over the place trying to affect the loose and vibrating parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Am I the only one here that just turns up the stereo?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthai View Post
Am I the only one here that just turns up the stereo?
Nope! But with the rattle only one foot in front of your face you have to turn the stereo up pretty loud to drown it out. That's fine when you're alone but when you have others in the car, that's generally a no go...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #31
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIC328i
This is just to chime in to this rattle topic, I am surprised to hear so many fellow members having rattle problems on their M3. I came from a E92 335i and there were 0 rattles what so ever during my ownership of the car. That car was also modded too with race suspension and such. Although I'm glad that I haven't find any serious rattle on my E90 M3 yet. But this gets me thinking why would the M3 being a more expensive and solid car is having more of these "Quality" related problem than a 335i.
Even though it costs more, the added cost doesn't go into the interior. The m3 has the exact same interior trim panels as any other 3 series. Take that and add a much stiffer suspension, 19s, and a heavier engine but no extra sound dampening and younger your rattles.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #32
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Even though it costs more, the added cost doesn't go into the interior. The m3 has the exact same interior trim panels as any other 3 series. Take that and add a much stiffer suspension, 19s, and a heavier engine but no extra sound dampening and younger your rattles.
+1 to exact same interior (other than extended leather ones) - makes no difference which one though..

I get rid of the rattles with this

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0