BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

BPM

07-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan Auto

Gaming Laptop Question

Once Windows 7 comes out, I plan on purchasing my first laptop. I've built my last 2 PCs, so I'm not a total idiot when it comes to computers. Thing is, I know plenty about PCs and what I need for gaming, but I'm not extremly knowledged on laptop gaming. Through work, I get a discount on HP computers.

The one I built is a HP dv7t, 64bit, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 4gb ddr2 ram, 512mb ati mobility radeon. Everything there is upgraded to either the best, or second best available options, except for the graphics card. Should I get a 1gb ati card, or is the 512 good enough for the price ($150 less than the 1gb)?

To Do (Cosmetic): Black Line lights, Lux 4.0 Angel Eyes, 19" CSL HyperBlack
To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

What is the screen res? Which games do you plan on playing? Do you have a chill mat?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I have 1GB ATI on my HP. Works great.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
What is the screen res? Which games do you plan on playing? Do you have a chill mat?
17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)

Right now, I'm not playing anything. I'll play Starcraft and Diablo when they come out. I also play games like WoW every once in awhile. So, I would never consider myself a huge gamer, but I do enjoy playing computer games here and there.

And yes, I plan on getting a chill mat. There is one that I can get with my laptop that is about $17 and though a USB connection it powers 2 fans.

To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

OK well since you have a chill mat and plan on keeping up with new titles, I'd say there's no doubt the 1GB card would be worth the increase.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

Maybe I need to look into a chill mat.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
Maybe I need to look into a chill mat.
It's really not a bad idea at all for these higher-spec laptops, or any laptop that is pushed towards its limits really. The cooling in portable computers is horribly inefficient, especially if you look at what is provided in their desktop hardware equivalents. Heat destroys components over time, and degrades performance. There needs to be plenty of air circulation around the computer when pushing it, or you're just looking for problems not too far down the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
It's really not a bad idea at all for these higher-spec laptops, or any laptop that is pushed towards its limits really. The cooling in portable computers is horribly inefficient, especially if you look at what is provided in their desktop hardware equivalents. Heat destroys components over time, and degrades performance. There needs to be plenty of air circulation around the computer when pushing it, or you're just looking for problems not too far down the road.
+1

You dont really need a cooling station if you're just browsing the internet and whatnot, but if you are playing games for hours, its not a bad idea for the price.

I had a crap ton of fans and liquid cooling in my pc.

Thanks for the additional thoughts on graphics card. The computer I built cost just under a grand (after employee discounts). The 1gb graphics card costs an additional $150, and while I'd rather not spend that, I'll do what's necessary.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makushr1 View Post

Thanks for the additional thoughts on graphics card. The computer I built cost just under a grand (after employee discounts). The 1gb graphics card costs an additional $150, and while I'd rather not spend that, I'll do what's necessary.
Honestly, you will not NEED the 1GB chipset, and the 512 will play any game, just on lower settings in some... With that res, you shouldn't run into too many issues, but why risk the "I should have...." regrets down the road when you're already putting down this much for the computer?

Either way, you can't really go wrong here.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll play Starcraft and Diablo when they come out. I also play games like WoW every once in awhile.
If that is all you will be playing, it sounds like someone is in the market for a Macbook Pro.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JME View Post
If that is all you will be playing, it sounds like someone is in the market for a Macbook Pro.
Yeah but he's also getting a mad discount on the HP. A macbook with those specs would cost him at least double what he's paying.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

I have a MBP along with my HP. I don't want to install Windows on my MBP for games.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
All Blizzard games can be played on a mac, that is why I was making the suggestion.

Obviously if you are getting a discount the HP is a better value.

OP: When is the Dialbo III beta happening? I know SC2 is coming out soon, and I can not wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the Mac suggestions, but I need a computer running Windows for work.

JME - No idea when they are coming out, I know rumors for SC2 will be out around holiday time, which leads me to believe D3 not for another year after that, maybe summer 2010 (just my guess).

Ragingclue - My clue is pointing this way...

I just went and checked the pc I built around 5 years ago. I used it for many games, including SC, Diablo 2, WoW, etc. It worked just fine, graphics were great. I assumed it had a 512 graphics card, but it was only 256! So, I think I'll be fine with a 512 and save myself $150. If the price goes down at all in the next few months, I may consider the upgrade, but as of now I'll probably go with the 512, unless someone can give me a great reason why not (or offers to pay for the upgrade )

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

Well you're planning to get a gaming laptop. To my knowledge, you won't be able to easily swap in a 1GB video card on a laptop.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the Mac suggestions, but I need a computer running Windows for work.

JME - No idea when they are coming out, I know rumors for SC2 will be out around holiday time, which leads me to believe D3 not for another year after that, maybe summer 2010 (just my guess).

Ragingclue - My clue is pointing this way...

I just went and checked the pc I built around 5 years ago. I used it for many games, including SC, Diablo 2, WoW, etc. It worked just fine, graphics were great. I assumed it had a 512 graphics card, but it was only 256! So, I think I'll be fine with a 512 and save myself $150. If the price goes down at all in the next few months, I may consider the upgrade, but as of now I'll probably go with the 512, unless someone can give me a great reason why not (or offers to pay for the upgrade )
Just a heads up: Blizzard is notorious for raising the hardware requirements for games at every increment. So much that my current rig played Vanilla WoW exceptionally, but is struggling to provide me the same performance now that the second expansion is out. The demos I played of Diablo III and SC2 don't make me think you will need much more than a 512, but I wouldn't make that assumption when it comes to any game Blizz makes.

Good luck with your purchase!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

WoW, although a senior citizen in video game years, has improved their graphics with each expansion. Try running WotLK on your old computer on the settings you played vanilla WoW on....

Also, was your old computer a laptop or a desktop? Reason I ask is there is a lot more to a video card than just memory. A laptop running a dedicated 512 card still isn't going to be anywhere near on par with a HD4870 512.... What exact graphics chipset is it you are looking at?

Anyway, yeah the 512 should be enough for now, and for the couple of games that you mentioned above. However, expansion packs and new game engines will push that envelope before too long. Your graphics chipset memory won't need to be too much right now, especially at 1600x900, but I personally would eat the $150 difference and get the bigger card, especially if you ever plan on going external with 1920x1080 or more.

But, that being said, there should be virtually no discernable performance disadvantage at this time at that resolution (1600x900).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #18
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

OP, I've owned 3 gaming laptops (paid for one, but got the other 2 as replacements from alienware)

I will never buy a gaming laptop....for reasons listed below:

BULKY
HEAVY
LOW battery life (over time)
INTENSE HEAT
$$$$ to upgrade if you can even upgrade
Out of date too fast.
Costly to buy as well

Goods: Usually 17" + comes with HDMI and a decent desktop replacement...
however, for the price, I can build a kickass desktop that rapes it in performance, and spare change for a cheapo laptop...
Appreciate 0