BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

09-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Axxis ULT fitment problem?

So I picked up a set of Axxis ULT pads for my '08 E90, as I got tired of using the RS19's all the time and listening to them go squeeeeeeee everywhere. Started on the rears, and I've already run into a problem...

There's a groove on the pad backing (the metal part), a small U-shaped one, that the pad wear sensor pops into. On my RS19's, the groove is thinned a bit, to allow the sensor to fit in. However, while the groove is there on the ULTs, it no thinner there than anywhere else, which means the wear sensor won't fit.

It could be that only set of pads has the thinner groove - on the RS19s both do, and it didn't occur to me to check. I did the non-sensored side first, so it's possible (although unlikely) that the pad on that side has the thinner groove, and only the one I'm trying doesn't. I was curious if anyone else has tried to install these before, and if so, if they ran into a similar problem? I'm stopping for the night and will try pulling off the non-sensored side pads tomorrow to see if they're different.
      09-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

Wow, was I feeling dumb last night. Entirely forgot I had the front pad set I could check, and sure enough, only one set has the groove channeled to fit the wear sensor. So for anyone else doing their pads, remember that you need to put the right set on the right side.
      09-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrouble View Post
Wow, was I feeling dumb last night. Entirely forgot I had the front pad set I could check, and sure enough, only one set has the groove channeled to fit the wear sensor. So for anyone else doing their pads, remember that you need to put the right set on the right side.
OK - I'm officially baffled. The E9x M3 has brake wear sensors on both front wheels, so it doesn't matter which side you put the pads on.

Are you sure that it wasn't just a manufacturing defect on the ULT's? It sounds like one backing plate wasn't properly made.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
OK - I'm officially baffled. The E9x M3 has brake wear sensors on both front wheels, so it doesn't matter which side you put the pads on.

Are you sure that it wasn't just a manufacturing defect on the ULT's? It sounds like one backing plate wasn't properly made.
This is the rear. The E9x has 3 sensors, one on each front and one on the passenger side rear. The OEM pads and the Pagid pads both have slots for the sensor on all 4 pad sets; the Axxis only has them on 3. On the front this obviously doesn't matter, on the rear it does.

Your confusion is warranted though. I only checked one pair of the front pads then whacked out my mea culpa above. In truth BOTH sets of front pads have the slot (as you say), just only one set in the rear.

Why they would do that I don't know, by the way. Seems like it'd be cheaper to just put the slot on all of them rather than worry about getting the pairings on the box right, but eh.
      09-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrouble View Post
This is the rear. The E9x has 3 sensors, one on each front and one on the passenger side rear. The OEM pads and the Pagid pads both have slots for the sensor on all 4 pad sets; the Axxis only has them on 3. On the front this obviously doesn't matter, on the rear it does.

Your confusion is warranted though. I only checked one pair of the front pads then whacked out my mea culpa above. In truth BOTH sets of front pads have the slot (as you say), just only one set in the rear.

Why they would do that I don't know, by the way. Seems like it'd be cheaper to just put the slot on all of them rather than worry about getting the pairings on the box right, but eh.
Ahhh! Now I get it!

I'm with you on the notching of the backing plate - why wouldn't they just notch them both? I guess it's more expensive to make an extra cut on the machine than to maintain separate part numbers inside the factory for left and right rear pads.
Appreciate 0