BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #23
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
wow, that's got to be scary.
Once, I was driving on the FWY, there was a guy in an E36 driving 2 lanes away from me. Heard a loud pop. Looked over, the poor guy was so terrified, he had that death look on his face.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Wow, that is scary. Glad you're ok.
      10-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

It was just reminding you to have it replaced
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #26
canadian stig
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Damn, that is scary!!!!! Good for the OP maintaining his cool and avoiding a serious accident! BMW should absolutely be held liable for this. Airbags are not supposed to go off by themselves and i can't believe there is no recall for the problem if it's really that common on the e46. And I really can't see how hitting a pothole or lowering the suspension should trigger the airbag. I thought they only activate via impact sensors, so they only come off if the car's chassis begins to buckle in a collision.

And regarding the issue of the car being old, is there anything in the owner's manual that says airbags and sensors should be inspected or replaced after a certain period? As far as I know no manufacturer asks for inspections or replacement of airbag components as part of routine maintenance. Logically that implies that the airbags are expected to last the life of the vehicle, which is usually more than 11 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #27
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian stig View Post
Damn, that is scary!!!!! Good for the OP maintaining his cool and avoiding a serious accident! BMW should absolutely be held liable for this. Airbags are not supposed to go off by themselves and i can't believe there is no recall for the problem if it's really that common on the e46. And I really can't see how hitting a pothole or lowering the suspension should trigger the airbag. I thought they only activate via impact sensors, so they only come off if the car's chassis begins to buckle in a collision.

And regarding the issue of the car being old, is there anything in the owner's manual that says airbags and sensors should be inspected or replaced after a certain period? As far as I know no manufacturer asks for inspections or replacement of airbag components as part of routine maintenance. Logically that implies that the airbags are expected to last the life of the vehicle, which is usually more than 11 years.

yeah I don't know what the other guy was saying but airbags should last indefinitely. You're right that the bags are triggered via impact sensors but many of these newer sensors operate based on g force. Many are gyroscopic sensors using angular velocity. Some little sensors have a little device inside fluid and any real abrupt force can deploy the bag. Granted this should never happen, esp to newer more tech savy cars as the SRS systems are worlds better than when introduced.
Appreciate 0