BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

Tire Wear

How many miles are you guys getting out of a set of tires? I am freaking eating tires.

I have a 2011 E93 M3 with a Dinan stage 2 suspension kit. I went through the OEM Pirelli P-zeros in 6K miles. I replaced those with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. The rears are worn through 50% of the tread depth at ~4K miles. The fronts are at about 40% worn. The wear is even across all tires. Dang!!!
      12-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Thats super quick. I went about 17k on my oem ps2's before i dumped them. I have stock size ad08's on right now and i have about 18k on them with 40% tread left. I commute about 110 miles a day, slide the car often, and drive quite agressively. However, i don't do any burn outs or do any stressful stuff to the car in first.

Are you doing alot of local driving? Maybe your alignment needs to be re-checked.
      12-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Unless you are tracking your car there must be an alignment issue. No way tires will go that fast without either abuse or bad alignment.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Based on what I've seen posted on the forum it appears 12-15k miles is the typical mileage most people get out of a set of stock PS2 and Conti tires. I've also noticed people with the stock P-zero tires complain about more rapid tire wear compared to the PS2 and Contis however I don't think it's as bad as 6k miles!

It does sound like you have an alignment issue of somekind if you haven't been driving aggressively on this set of tires...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Maybe you have a son who enjoys your car when you are sleep
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

My OEM PZeros were wearing very quickly as well before I took them off.
      12-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
Thats super quick. I went about 17k on my oem ps2's before i dumped them. I have stock size ad08's on right now and i have about 18k on them with 40% tread left. I commute about 110 miles a day, slide the car often, and drive quite agressively. However, i don't do any burn outs or do any stressful stuff to the car in first.

Are you doing alot of local driving? Maybe your alignment needs to be re-checked.
That's some pretty good mileage on the tires. I have similar driving habits, with driving aggressively, but not wasting the tires in 1st gear.

I feel DCT helps with this. If I was driving a regular manual, I'd usually get a lot more wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd so as not to wear the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
That's some pretty good mileage on the tires. I have similar driving habits, with driving aggressively, but not wasting the tires in 1st gear.

I feel DCT helps with this. If I was driving a regular manual, I'd usually get a lot more wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd so as not to wear the clutch.
I really think the commute helps with the tires lifespan. I drive against traffic and im usually cruising 97% of my trip. Also, the stock toe and camber on the rear wheels isn't super super agressive where its shaving off the threads.

About 4-5 years back when I was driving only 20-25 miles a day, all local, DD'ing my Cayman S, I only got 5,500 miles on my rear set of ps2's. They were COMPLETELY obliterated.

Harder compounds like the AD08 work pretty darn well on this car. The only bad side is is that the ad08's can get pretty loud. No idea on the RE11's as i'd like to try them next.
      12-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

OEM P-Zeros last about 10k miles. But I had unusual wear on mine due to bad alignment/suspension settings. My tread in the middle wore almost to the cords. But, my edges has about 50% life left on them. PSI is at 34 lbs so I didn't over inflate the tires.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
How many miles are you guys getting out of a set of tires? I am freaking eating tires.

I have a 2011 E93 M3 with a Dinan stage 2 suspension kit. I went through the OEM Pirelli P-zeros in 6K miles. I replaced those with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. The rears are worn through 50% of the tread depth at ~4K miles. The fronts are at about 40% worn. The wear is even across all tires. Dang!!!
That does seem a little fast for the Pirellis, but the rears do tend to go fast on this car. With the PSS 50% gone at 4K, that means they should hit at least 8K before they're totally gone. Something around 10K miles is usually normal for the M3 rears.

Note burrito's experience with the cayman. Lighter car, similar performance, ate the rear PS2 in 5500 miles due to lots of stop and go. Same driver, heavier car, and he's getting triple the mileage due to lots of highway cruising.

Do check your alignment, but it could be that your road composition and daily driving conditions are just hard on tires. With regard to alignment in general, set everything as close to zero as the factory specs allow if you want the best tire wear. Note that this can compromise performance a little. Some camber/toe is usually helpful for performance.
      12-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Tire wear

Quote:

OEM tires are known to be softer than replacements. I usually get 15k out of rears (PS2s & Vreds), much more out of fronts. Just took Vreds that refused to wear out because I want to try PSSs, but I highly recommend the Ultrac Sessantas for performance, price and wear.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:

Heavier car with a lowered suspension..make sense that you go through tires more quickly..fwiw my pirellis on my e92, 8K miles and they are about 30-40%
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

I have a 2012 E92 ZCP with about 7k miles and it's not my daily driver. Michelin PS2s.

Although i never tracked the car, I like to drive the car spiritually at times, especially put it in sport mode and take the corners pretty hard and spirited at times.

In the last two weeks, a couple of the corners that i usually used to take without any issues, I almost had a scare and the car started drifting a little. Lucky I had DSC on and was able to correct the situation without hitting anything, but scared the crap out of me.

Looking at the rear tires, I can feel the outside of the tires loosing thread life.

Does this mean I have to watch the thread life and I am probably due for a new set in the next 3k miles, and no more taking the corners hard?!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:

Well Dave, I can only tell you what my SA told me once "I see you are driving your ///M3 like it should be driven! you need new rear tires"

Little did he knew at the time that my then e46 had 35K KM on the rear wheels, so I told him "A new set is on order from tire rack I'll call you when they arrive by UPS"

As to your case, I don't know how much your mods will influence your tire wear, however, I'm sure you know it does depend a lot on the mods and the way we do drive. I hope you find the cause for your premature tire wear.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonem3 View Post
I have a 2012 E92 ZCP with about 7k miles and it's not my daily driver. Michelin PS2s.

Although i never tracked the car, I like to drive the car spiritually at times, especially put it in sport mode and take the corners pretty hard and spirited at times.

In the last two weeks, a couple of the corners that i usually used to take without any issues, I almost had a scare and the car started drifting a little. Lucky I had DSC on and was able to correct the situation without hitting anything, but scared the crap out of me.

Looking at the rear tires, I can feel the outside of the tires loosing thread life.

Does this mean I have to watch the thread life and I am probably due for a new set in the next 3k miles, and no more taking the corners hard?!
You drive "spiritually" - like it! It's my religion, too! Tread does not give tires grip, except in wet conditions. But tires do harden with age and heat cycling, so you need to be aware of how they are currently behaving and compensate.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0