BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep
Drives: around aimlessly

anyone ever make an app?

sup guys i registered to be an apple app developer yesterday but have never done anything like this before but i do know computers better then average but my question is have any of you ever made an iphone ipad or itouch app before?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDeJ View Post
sup guys i registered to be an apple app developer yesterday but have never done anything like this before but i do know computers better then average but my question is have any of you ever made an iphone ipad or itouch app before?
i have sir
      07-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

this is something I've wanted to get into as well, curious as to the best starting points. I've been trying but haven't followed through for months now
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
i have sir
was it something you just decided to do or did you have some programing background?

what was the app anyway?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

I believe "knowing computers better than average" won't be enough to develop an app.
      07-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep

well thats what my dilemma is but ive heard of it being done by the average guy. how hard could it be for a simple app but i might be underestimating the scale of this whole thing lol
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
well thats what my dilemma is but ive heard of it being done by the average guy. how hard could it be for a simple app but i might be underestimating the scale of this whole thing lol
I have no experience in it, I was just making an assumption that being an app developer would take more than an "average guy", or everyone would do it.
      07-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
right click, create shortcut. app developer.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
right click, create shortcut. app developer.
brian gimme your gmail addy again
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Doubt it's easy. But if you can make the next Angry birds that'd be something!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
was it something you just decided to do or did you have some programing background?

what was the app anyway?
both, I am a CS major(currently Junior), so i already have a strong background in Java,C++, etc.

App is a game I made called "Don't Fail!"

It really depends what you want to do.
To develop for iPhone you need to know objective C, which is rarely used for anything. That being said, if you know C++ then it is relatively easy to learn.

They sell some great iPhone books now, I got one and it helped me get started, of course I got to skip the first chapters because I already know how to code.

You can also rely to use a engine to making apps as well, and those do not require coding. I made my game for fun while in school and working two jobs, so I did not have time to code, nor did I really want to. I used a game engine called Gamesalad, its a very to use editor, kinda like the editor we use to make post. You click on a smiley, and it will automatically write "smiley", etc.

All I had to do was import the images, and everything else was click and test. No coding required. The downside to that is that you do not have as much freedom since you are limited to what the game engine can do, but it is a good start. Made my app in about 1 month.
      07-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
I've been programming for about 10 years, 6 years professionally, and made 3 apps when the SDK first came out. They have great examples, lots of documentation and Interface Builder makes it very easy to throw an app together, but if you have no programming experience, you probably won't get far.

First off, your app will crash, and you will need to figure out why. The nastier exceptions won't be of much help, and you will just have to dig in and debug it.

Interface Builder only takes you so far. Depending on how complex your app is, you will find that you have to start managing the state and view in code. Unless you are copying an example app, this will become your custom code very quickly, and you will need to know how to write it.

Lastly, you will need to understand some fundamental programming basics. You will have to deal with class structures and different data types. I think there is a mindset that comes with being a developer about being able to just research and read documentation to figure out what you need to do.

If you're passionate and willing to learn, I think you can sit down and do it. You just can't accept defeat after your first issue. As mentioned above, the dev books can be really useful, but most of that info can be found online. I had no experience in Objective-C and made my first two apps without having to write a lot of custom code. During my 3rd one, I decided to step back and read some of the fundamentals and it really changed my approach. I was no longer just following a pattern because it was the way I had always seen it, I was now writing completely from scratch because I knew why it worked that way.

Best bet would be to write down a simple goal, maybe something that uses the UITabBarController and UITableView, and have it switch between a couple different views, or have the table push you into a new view when you click a row.
      07-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Here.. You can watch the entire Stanford offering for iPhone/iOs development for free online. It's good, I watched it and had no problems writing an iPhone app for grins afterwards. TONS of amazing free stuff on iTunesU

http://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/...nt/id384233225

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/c...774?i=90218598
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #14
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Here.. You can watch the entire Stanford offering for iPhone/iOs development for free online. It's good, I watched it and had no problems writing an iPhone app for grins afterwards. TONS of amazing free stuff on iTunesU

http://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/...nt/id384233225

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/c...774?i=90218598
similar to this, Harvard also has a bunch of cs classes available to watch online, as well as all course work for the classes.

I believe the link is cs50.tv. If you want to take time to start from the ground up you can start with the intro to cs course.
      12-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

if any of you programmers are interested in developing some apps specialized for certain industries please pm me.
Appreciate 0