BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

03-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

After Much Search, Found Ultimate Hose

I couldn't find much info. on hoses and reels, so I figured I'd share my findings. I'm sure there are some others out there that are ridiculous like me and willing to pay for "professional grade."

I just bought and moved into a new home, so I decided I needed to get rid of the Home Depot hose & reel and find a better combination. I wanted a reel that is well designed, a hose that is bulletproof , a few spray nozzles that are heavy-duty, and I didn't want any leaks.

I made a few mistakes. I couldn't find a well designed, heavy-duty reel, so I decided to attempt to adapt a quality air hose reel. I bought this Reel Craft hand crank reel and decided I would try and use a few adapters to make it work for a 5/8" hose. They only make it in 1/2" size.

http://reelcraft.thomasnet.com/viewi...ls-series-c-2?

I underestimated the difference in size between a 3/4" or 5/8" hose and the 1/2" designed reel. I wanted a 100ft. hose, so this didn't work. Oh well, I now have a nice air hose reel. That was a $135 mistake.

I had already found the hose I wanted:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-810-a...wash-hose.aspx

This is a Good Year Rubber hose that has 3/4" hose and 5/8" fittings that swivel to help with kinks. This hose is uber expensive at $130 plus shipping, but I'm guessing I'll have this thing for the rest of my life. It is one serious hose. I would highly recommend spending the extra money. I would caution you that it is heavy when filled with water. You better be working out if you want to move this thing around.

I was super frustrated as I got the hose first and then the Reel Craft reel. I took one look at the hose and then put the reel next the hose. I said to my wife, "I screwed this up." There is no way this monster hose was going to fit on this reel. I thought I was going to have to go buy another crappy Home Depot reel and just replace it every few years like I have been. I just didn't think I would find anything to handle this serious hose.

So I get back online and stumbled on the Rapid Reel. I don't know why I didn't find this thing earlier. I saw it on Griots Garage's website, but I hadn't had any success buying gadgets from Griot. They typically end up in the trash. I then found Elay's website. I was sold.

http://www.reelquick.com/product/wal...den-hose-reel/

This thing is perfect! I wish I found this thing a years ago. Just be ready to pony up $140 plus shipping.

Add on an Adam's shut-off valve at $20:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-563-a...off-valve.aspx

Adam's Fire Hose Nozzle at $60:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-562-a...sh-nozzle.aspx

Elay's Pistol Grip Nozzle Set at $60. This thing is heavy duty. I bought a couple of Gilmour nozzles and they are junk. I would highly recommend this as I don't like using the fire hose nozzle when cleaning the wheels:

http://www.reelquick.com/product/pis...ay-nozzle-set/

You could also package the reel and pistol grip nozzle to save a few bucks and get a hose, fire-hose nozzle, quick connector, and shut-off valve package through Adam's.

So all in total cost excluding my mistakes was about $450, but I think it will be worth the investment. I hope this helps some others that might be looking as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
1SIKM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Thanks for sharing... Great info...
Mod List: | ESS VT2-625 | Velos Designwerks Tune | HRE P40S | Brembo 380mm BBK | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | KW V3 Coilovers | Vorsteiner GTS3 Front Bumper | Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser 2 | BMW Blue PSW | BMW Performance Spoiler | BMW GTS Door Sills | BMW Performance High Gloss Black Grills & Gills | TiKORE Industries Titanium Lug Bolts | STRI Gauges |
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
nice find but the adam's shut off valve is a pure rip off. no way a shut off valve should cost $20 lol
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

wasnt sure what to expect with the hose search title

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 08-24-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
nice find but the adam's shut off valve is a pure rip off. no way a shut off valve should cost $20 lol

The Adam's is made by Dramm. You can buy for about $4 cheaper elsewhere. I figure why not support a quality company. Also Gilmour's valve isn't as nice and is about the same price.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
The Adam's is made by Dramm. You can buy for about $4 cheaper elsewhere. I figure why not support a quality company. Also Gilmour's valve isn't as nice and is about the same price.
gilmour's is $6
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Nuke818
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Pressure washer + foam cannon still the best combo. I've used hoses like this before you can also find them at stores that sell irrigation products.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
D_Nyholm
Rep
Drives: 996TT

I've had really good luck with the black rubber hoses from sears. Had 2 of them for about 10 years now and I don't take them in for the freezing winters. They still look new and are much cheaper than the hose you linked. Plus they have the sears lifetime warranty in case something does happen. They are the real deal, not some gimmick!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
arnoldous
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Same here, I recently bought a rubber hose, which is very flexible and good in quality. I paid reasonable for it and happy with my buy.
      08-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe DCT

Let's see a full picture of the set-up!
Appreciate 0