BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

03-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #45
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrhaapi View Post
A GT3 Cup Car is a race car. So are the R Hybrid and the RSR.

Suspension engine and brakes on any non-GT 911 are definitely a far cry from their race equivalents.

I haven't driven a GT3. It's a great car, I really love them. A GT3 is not a base 911. It's definitely much closer to the whole race car thing than a C2S or a C4.

Even the GT3 RS 4.0 would get it's ass handed to it by a Cup Car or RSR on a track, so what chance does a base C2 have? Not a race car.
and a cup car will get its ass handed to it by an F1 car. oh no, cup car isn't a race car following your logic.
you realize there are different categories of race cars. Rally, GT, Formula, etc...
      03-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #46
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrhaapi View Post
A GT3 Cup Car is a race car. So are the R Hybrid and the RSR.

Suspension engine and brakes on any non-GT 911 are definitely a far cry from their race equivalents.

I haven't driven a GT3. It's a great car, I really love them. A GT3 is not a base 911. It's definitely much closer to the whole race car thing than a C2S or a C4.

Even the GT3 RS 4.0 would get it's ass handed to it by a Cup Car or RSR on a track, so what chance does a base C2 have? Not a race car.
and a cup car will get its ass handed to it by an F1 car. oh no, cup car isn't a race car following your logic.
you realize there are different categories of race cars. Rally, GT, Formula, etc...
2 days in your P-car and you've turned into the biggest P-douche. Well done.

OP... Good luck with your build
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #47
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

the way I look at it these days is, if someone didn't turn 'it' into a hotrod/custom 'it' probably would have ended up in the junk yard, what is worse?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #48
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Dear Lord, we're talking about a 964, not a 993 or a 959 people. Do what you want with it, it will be no worse than a 964.
My thoughts exactly. Purists with low standards I guess?
      03-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #49
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I never took away from the ambition or skill. From that PoV it is awesome.
It is to me (and most porsche drivers) a mockery of the car. As if someone would put an AMG engine into an 3series and then badge it "A //M G". I'd love to see the shit storm that would brew around here. Hell, false badging any car here gets tons of hate, but gutting out the heart of a porsche for some american big block?

A 911 is a street legal race car. GT3 Cups are not street legal.

It is a track day car that you can use to drop off the kids and do the groceries with. I daily drove mine for 3 years.

A 911 is not a luxury sports car. It is a street legal race car. If you choose to option it out as a luxury car, that's your prerogative.

Sports chrono pack will give you datalogging. Suspension, engine and brakes are a far cry from race cars? LOL, you've never driven a Porsche have you? Let alone a GT3 RS.
HAHAHAHAHA that must be a fucking JOKE. A car that is moderately quick and nimble is by no means a "race car."

Do you see a cage? -No.
Do you see slicks? -No.
Do you see a bucket and harness? -No.
Do you see creature comforts? -Yes.

Wow, a base model 911 sure looks like a race car to me

If you want to see a street-legal race car, you don't even have to look at a different make. The GT3RS is about as close as you're going to get to a street legal race car. Get off your high horse and let the man enjoy his Porsche that he's actually building and putting hard time and labor into himself instead of paying a lot of money for. Looks like he's the true Porsche purist here, if you look at Ferdinand Porsche's quote at the beginning of this thread.
      03-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #50
Don Nguyen
Banned
Rep
Drives: '99 M3 Vert, '95 M3 Coupe, 964

Did not really get any further progress on the Porsche this weekend. Instead, I chose to autocross my E70 X5 with the BMW CCA group. Gotta make sure all of the tools in the shed are sharp. There were a total of 13 cars in my class, I came in 5th. Got beat by three turbo charged 135//335s by about a second and lost out to first place (2013 335i) by 3.5 seconds on a ~60-65 seconds length course.

Here's a video of my run. The video was kind of quickly put together. It's been a long while since I last did any sort of video editing. It was also my first time using my new gopro hero 3s to shoot video with.

That's not to say I don't have any pictures of my Porsche that I can't share with you guys though. Nothing special, but at least it gives you something to look at.

This picture is from at least 4 years ago when I was first test fitting wheels on my widebody E36 M3 and for fun I put the wheel next to my Porsche to see what it would look like.

Here's a more recent picture of a different, but similarly sized wheel on my Porsche, to gauge roughly how far out my flares are going to have to be.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #51
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

good luck with the build
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #52
triggrhaapi
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post

Dude. A "race car" is any car that is built specifically to compete in a racing series and is not street legal. The cup, RSR and R hybrid fit that description, your GT3 does not. It has aircon and a nice stereo and nav and all sorts of luxury bits.

It's a great car as I have previously stated, but it is a far cry from the greatest thing ever made (nobody will ever agree on what the "greatest car ever" is, but they will unanimously agree that the GT3 is not it) and owning one doesn't give you license to be quite possibly the largest douchebag I have ever encountered on an internet forum.

I also would venture to guess that with a lighter chassis and significantly more power available, Don's project car might give you a serious run for your money on a track. And in my experience following his build threads, he does amazing work.

Silly man.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #53
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
The GT3RS is about as close as you're going to get to a street legal race car.
Having sampled both a GT3RS and a Lotus Exige, I'd say the latter is a LOT closer to a "street legal race car", at least as it comes from the showroom. Sure the Porsche is faster, but raw speed alone does not a racecar make. (there are a variety of purpose built non-street-legal racecars that would have their asses handed to them on a wide open track by a ZR1 vette)

When I first folded my rickety old self into the Exige, with acres of bare metal exposed in the interior (car did not have the touring package, owner was super hard core), no creature comforts, no glovebox, manual steering, honestly, it made the GT3RS interior seem like a plush luxobarge in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #54
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Having sampled both a GT3RS and a Lotus Exige, I'd say the latter is a LOT closer to a "street legal race car", at least as it comes from the showroom. Sure the Porsche is faster, but raw speed alone does not a racecar make. (there are a variety of purpose built non-street-legal racecars that would have their asses handed to them on a wide open track by a ZR1 vette)

When I first folded my rickety old self into the Exige, with acres of bare metal exposed in the interior (car did not have the touring package, owner was super hard core), no creature comforts, no glovebox, manual steering, honestly, it made the GT3RS interior seem like a plush luxobarge in comparison.
I forgot about the Lotus. I was thinking more about mainstream makes, hence why I didn't mention Caterham, Ariel, etc. I was thinking more about cars with roll cars/harnesses off the top of my head for a quick reply.
      03-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #55
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

a lot of psn folks itt. how about guitar hero?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #56
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloziROTHTOR
a lot of psn folks itt. how about guitar hero?
Lay off the crack already
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #57
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Lay off the crack already
i don't do crack, just grape juice. you know, vino or vin in hebrew, which also happens to be the gematraic equivalent of truth.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #58
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

If you want a Porsche with a V-8, buy a 928!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #59
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
If you want a Porsche with a V-8, buy a 928!
Win.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #60
Don Nguyen
Banned
Rep

Not really an update on my Porsche, but I have had a lot of requests for pictures of my widebody E36 M3, so instead of PMing everyone back individually, here are the pictures of it.

This is basically a recap of the past 4 years in 3 pictures, with the red black and white being the oldest and the car in black being the most recent.

I do automotive vinyl wrapping professionally, so changing the color of the car is easy for me. The original colors of red/black/white were painted. However, the matte white and matte black are vinyl wraps. Had the matte white for a month before going matte black. Just felt right. May just get the car painted gloss black later on, or if I feel ballsy enough, I'll redo the red/black/white theme again.

If you really want to follow more oft the progress on my other builds (my widebody M3, motorcycles, etc.), pretty much all of my pictures and updates on those will be posted through instagram, since I don't really feel like they deserve their own threads.

Instagram: @don__nguyen (double underscores in between the name).

Direct link: http://instagr.am/p/WgKZ5DBLgd/

-Don
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #61
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

SUP GURL lol priceless!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #62
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Neat stuff. Good luck with the build. I'm slowly getting more and more involved with my car builds. Like has been said, a V8 is not that heavy nor have a terribly high center of gravity if you have an all aluminum pushrod smallblock.

Comet, you are being a huge douchebag.
      03-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #63
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92oholic View Post
SUP GURL lol priceless!
and "Hows my driving text something something"
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #64
Don Nguyen
Banned
Rep

Good eyes. I wasn't sure if anyone would be able to make that out.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #65
tommy94gt
Captain
Rep
Drives: SMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHire99 View Post
Why so much hate? It's not like he's putting Lambo doors or spinners on the damn thing.

Who wait a minute, whats wrong with spinners????

Best part about this whole thread is the fact that OP completely tunes all the negative posts out! Never once responds to any of the posts discussing the whole "race car - not a race car" argument or goes anywhere near the "it's a Porsche, it is sacred!" issue. Love it, more power to you OP!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #66
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
nice build!

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0