BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Pilot super sports camber range

So I am about to get a new alignment for my E92 M3 with GC Camber plates. I run PSS on the street and conti slicks on the track. I am not wanting to have to adjust my camber plates at the track. So I have been running f:-2.5 and r:-2, I am thinking I need more camber for my slicks but I am worried that running f:-3 r:-2~-2.5 that the PSS will wear to quickly on the street. Thoughts?

Adam
      10-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
So I am about to get a new alignment for my E92 M3 with GC Camber plates. I run PSS on the street and conti slicks on the track. I am not wanting to have to adjust my camber plates at the track. So I have been running f:-2.5 and r:-2, I am thinking I need more camber for my slicks but I am worried that running f:-3 r:-2~-2.5 that the PSS will wear to quickly on the street. Thoughts?

Adam
-3 and -2.5 are both too high for the street as far as wear goes. I've ran -3 on the front with AD08 for awhile and the fronts aren't doing so well on the insides. -2.5R is too high even on track for street tires, you would overheat the insides.

-2.5/-2.0 is a closer compromise setup than -3/-2.5. And I'm surprised the slicks need more than -2 rear camber, I ran -2.2 on a racecar in the rear with slicks and it worked well.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile
Quote:

Adam
-3 and -2.5 are both too high for the street as far as wear goes. I've ran -3 on the front with AD08 for awhile and the fronts aren't doing so well on the insides. -2.5R is too high even on track for street tires, you would overheat the insides.

-2.5/-2.0 is a closer compromise setup than -3/-2.5. And I'm surprised the slicks need more than -2 rear camber, I ran -2.2 on a racecar in the rear with slicks and it worked well.
The reason I am even thinking about changing to f:-3 is that these contis were made by Hoosier for the grand am series and they are expose to be close to the R6's which have a recommended camber of f:-3. The rears I believe are going to be be fine at -2.
      10-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

-3 would be more ideal for the track, but will definitely give you premature wear on the inside shoulders during street use unless you're really cornering like a madman on the street.

So which do you want to compromise? Wear on your street tires, performance of your track tires, or convenience?
      10-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack
-3 would be more ideal for the track, but will definitely give you premature wear on the inside shoulders during street use unless you're really cornering like a madman on the street.

So which do you want to compromise? Wear on your street tires, performance of your track tires, or convenience?
Well I might just have them do two alignments, one for track and one of or street. The car goes on a lift anyway for the tire change wouldn't be to hard to adjust the camber. What is the ideal camber for the PSS's on the street?
      10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Well I might just have them do two alignments, one for track and one of or street. The car goes on a lift anyway for the tire change wouldn't be to hard to adjust the camber. What is the ideal camber for the PSS's on the street?
The PSS being a street tire, they do not have specific camber settings published that I know of. They would probably advise you to use the settings recommended for the M3.

The harder you drive on the street, the more negative camber you should dial in. If your street driving is mostly just relaxed cruising, then you would want minimal camber.
      10-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Shosholoza
Shosholoza
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have the GC adjustable camber plates and run -1.5f for the street and -2.3f for the track.
Adjusting at the track takes 5 minutes per wheel. I had -1.5, -2.3, and -3.0 marked on the camber plates when the shop did the alignment.

The more negative the camber, the more toe out is. Its neutral at -1.5. Even at -3 its not enough to create any straight line instability, but it does wear the inside of the tires more. Turn in is great! Thats why i use -2.3 great turn in and less inside wear. outside wear is no longer an issue.
      10-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
grussell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SG E92 M3

I have 18" PSS for the street and I run 2.2 and 1.8. I am very pleased with this setup.

You need more negative camber for R Comps or slicks so I would advise 2 different setups.
Appreciate 0