BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

BPM

10-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #45
E. Honda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Nissan 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Good grief. Some people take this far too seriously. Clearly I was trying to wind people up with my last post.

What I find funny is that this is such an over engineered solution to a problem which doesn't really exist. I have front PDC and it will not pick up kerbs all of the time when I sometimes park nose in. Yet I am just a little bit more careful when I park, or I use the car next to me to see when I should stop moving forward. People survived long before all this technology came along and didn't scratch their cars. Anybody who would install this to avoid scratching the front of their car needs to learn how to park properly.
I'll be honest with you, I do not see your motive to attacking him. Granted, it won't pick up the curb if it came with stock front PDC, but at times it does. But okay, even if Front PDC doesn't pick up the curb, why are you attacking him? It's just an extra precaution. If he wants to waste his time and distract himself, then it's his problem, not yours. I don't mean to attack you, I just find this funny as to why you are attacking him. It's his problem, let him deal with it the way he wants to deal with it. Maybe he's tried to constantly tried to measure his distance carefully and got fed up replacing eight or so bumpers. Maybe he wanted to take a different approach. Now I should advise, that using that shit on the freeway is extra stupid, and I can understand why he should get flamed for that. After taking another look at the video, I was wondering what if there had been a car in front of him, while he was looking at the screen on the freeway? Another thing, had I installed this on my car, which I do drive a Z so it is pretty low, I wouldn't necessarily use it all the time, but I would use it to give me an idea as to how much space I have left. But still, that his decision whether he wants to use it all the time.

Also, I don't know whether or not you are bashing him (however it seems as if you are), and he should have expect some flame. There are always going to be people in this world who are going to disagree with you.

I just don't understand your main incentive to get at him. It's an innovative idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #46
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
I'll be honest with you, I do not see your motive to attacking him.
Who is attacking him? I'm certainly not.

If you read my posts I think you'll find most were made with my tongue firmly in my cheek. It doesn't seriously bother me at all. Of course it doesn't. I just find it curious that somebody has come up with solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. It is not hard to park without scratching your bumper. It really isn't. And if somebody feels the need to go to the effort to install a video camera in the front of their car to avoid it then they shouldn't be on the road.

Quote:
Maybe he's tried to constantly tried to measure his distance carefully and got fed up replacing eight or so bumpers.
I suspect he hasn't done this in reality, but if he has, or anybody else has done that, then what the hell are they doing driving a car, never mind one with 414 horses? Good grief. To scratch it once is careless. To do it a second time is rediculous.

Quote:
Now I should advise, that using that shit on the freeway is extra stupid, and I can understand why he should get flamed for that. After taking another look at the video, I was wondering what if there had been a car in front of him, while he was looking at the screen on the freeway?
I don't think for one second that he would use it on the freeway. Again, I was being deliberately facestious for comic affect.

Quote:
It's an innovative idea.
Is it? It might be, but it's an answer to a problem that nobody has. Is there really an issue with people being unable to park their cars without scratching the front bumper in the U.S? I've used the spaces over there. They're huge!

I know he can do what he likes to his car. My point is that I find it quite funny that the problem was bad enough for the OP to even think of doing this.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
So are you honestly saying that the majority of M3 owners are not able to park their cars without scratching the front bumpers?

What I said IS a fact I'm afraid.

i was addressing the second sentence not the first, sorry i didnt make that clear.

Quote:
I'm not attacking anybody.

I'm just stating an opinion on a public board on which somebody posted their video. The OP doesn't seem to have taken offence and is choosing to ignore me (to some extent), so why are you so bothered?
its not an attack when you just state your opinion, but when you repeatedly tell the guy that his mod is pointless, its stupid, he should just look out the window, etc., thats when it becomes a less of an opinion and more of an attack. like i said before if you don't like just don't post, but if you feel obliged to tell everyone that you don't like it, just post once and move on.

Quote:
Again, who's bashing anybody, and more specifically, who is bashing somebody for "living in a free world"? Eh? I'm merely stating that the vast majority of drivers are able to park their cars without scratching them. Hard to see block or no hard to see block. The alleged "added bonus of being able to see the road at 4 inches" is something which makes me laugh, and also makes my head hurt at the same time.
  1. Quote:
    You're not missing much. Somebody has modified their car so they can drive it without having to look through the windscreen.
  2. Quote:
    "It also gives me a pretty neat view of the road when I'm driving. It only cost like ninety bucks".

Or you could just look out of the windshield. And that came free with the car.

3. Quote:
    So you ticked the "windshield option" when ordering your car?

That's something I constantly wish I had when I'm driving. The ability to see where I'm going, not through my windshield. Oh no. But on a tiny TV screen located by the gear lever.

4. Quote:
    I'm just having a laugh really. Bored before I go to work.

For what it's worth, even if you had front PDC it wouldn't pick up the concrete block in your video.

Would it not be possible for you to judge the distance correctly and not hit the concrete block, like I and 99.9% of other car drivers do? I think of it like a challenge. See if I can park my car without hitting anything.

As for having the bonus of seeing the road at 4 inches?

I truly am not wanting to piss on your bonfire, but where as I fear you are proud of what you've done, I'm just sat here pissing myself laughing at the thought of you speeding along the highway, looking at the road through a tiny 4" monitor by your gear shifter, shouting "whoohooo, hell yeah!", yet missing the tree or oncoming car which is now hurtling towards you at 80 mph.
i dunno im quite lost too with all these smilies

Quote:
Why? I've got an opinion, and a bloody good one at that. I stand by my comments that this is a completely unecessary modification to do to your car.
and im glad for you, if i could i would give you a nice pat on the back and a lovely hug. just dont keep posting to put him down.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #48
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Cool mod man ... I've been thinking about for a while ...

what brand is your camera ? also, what about night time, can you still see something ? and is it water proof ?
pm me if you don't mind
thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #49
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Quote:
After taking another look at the video, I was wondering what if there had been a car in front of him, while he was looking at the screen on the freeway? Another thing, had I installed this on my car, which I do drive a Z so it is pretty low, I wouldn't necessarily use it all the time, but I would use it to give me an idea as to how much space I have left. But still, that his decision whether he wants to use it all the time.
Actually my gf was holding the cam and just reaching over to show the video and it wasn't a free way it was a 40mph road. 2nd of all I don't use it all the time....I turned it on at that specific moment to show that view. I pull up into a spot.....turn it on...inch my way forward and stop an inch away from the concrete block every time and that's the whole purpose of this idea. Not because I can't park...not because I broke it 8 times before.....Hell I'm a regional airline pilot....If i can shoot an ILS down to minimums with a quarter of a dot deviation standard with only one functional engine....I'm sure I can park a car. Ask blakepilot how hard it is to do that. You think I care what some dude from Europe says? lol. I'm just ignoring him because apparently this is making him feel important so whatever.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #50
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Nice mod. I was considering doing a similar thing on my 335 but instead of a camera to use a sensor attached to a speaker that beeps faster as I get closer; that way I don't have to look at a screen.

But yeah...looks nice and is quite utilitarian for parking!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #51
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Pretty cool little mod! I have front PDC though
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #52
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmstyle71 View Post
Hell I'm a regional airline pilot....If i can shoot an ILS down to minimums with a quarter of a dot deviation standard with only one functional engine....I'm sure I can park a car.
You'd think wouldn't you?

Whilst we're waving our cocks around, I'm an air traffic controller and I can park perfectly fine WITHOUT a camera.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #53
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Cool!

Quote:
You'd think wouldn't you?

Whilst we're waving our cocks around, I'm an air traffic controller and I can park perfectly fine WITHOUT a camera.
I like math.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #54
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

cool idea.
Appreciate 0