BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

12-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Exterior Car Care Products List, Opinions Needed

I would like to know the basic products I should have to maintain the exterior of my car between details.

Conditions
*I will not buy an orbital, and will do everything by hand
*I plan to clean my car with the two bucket system but at a self wash place
*I will not clay the car because I do not trust my skills to do so
*I will have someone professionally detail it every 12 months

My planned products which I'm open to suggestions on if A) Missing something basic B) Different product for better value / cost efficiency. I'm not a nutter for perfection, I'd prefer products that do a "good" job in as little time possible. No fuss.

List

• Car Wash Soap - 1Z Einzslett W99
  • Decontamination - ??? IronX? Wolf Decon Gel? Not sure really.
  • Quick Polish Between Details - Auto Finisse Triple ? I don't like the idea of fillers, but no clue on other ones. I thought Mezerna, but looks like you need an orbital to apply correctly.
  • Paint Sealant and Wax (once every 3 months)- Einzslett Glanz
  • Wheel Cleaner - Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
  • Wheel Sealant - Armor All Wheel Sealant
      12-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Why no orbital?

Can't really hurt the car with claying and will help the results of your polishing.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Why no orbital?

Can't really hurt the car with claying and will help the results of your polishing.
re orbital don't want to take the time nor deal with the hassle. I also don't want to take the time to clay a car. It takes a long time to do a good job and do it right, no heart for it.
      12-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Makes sense if you're going to pay for a detail, but hand polishing is a whole lot of work.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Definitely take a look at the Auto Finesse line and Chemical Guys. They make great products.

Some of my favorites
Wash: Sonax gloss shampoo, wool wash mitt
Decontamination: iron-x, Auto Finesse citrus
Polish: AF Tripple
Sealant: AF Tough coat
Wheel cleaner: Sonax Full effect
Glass cleaner: Sprayaway glass cleaner (very cheap and works really well and leaves no streaks)
Tire shine: AF satin
Wax: Pinnacle Souveran or AF Desire

I usually order between Autogeek and Detailer Domain. They always have really good deals especially now with the holidays. Just a tip: sign up for their emailing lists, they usually give coupons and merchandise credit for new members
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR M3 View Post
Definitely take a look at the Auto Finesse line and Chemical Guys. They make great products.

Some of my favorites
Wash: Sonax gloss shampoo, wool wash mitt
Decontamination: iron-x, Auto Finesse citrus
Polish: AF Tripple
Sealant: AF Tough coat
Wheel cleaner: Sonax Full effect
Glass cleaner: Sprayaway glass cleaner (very cheap and works really well and leaves no streaks)
Tire shine: AF satin
Wax: Pinnacle Souveran or AF Desire

I usually order between Autogeek and Detailer Domain. They always have really good deals especially now with the holidays. Just a tip: sign up for their emailing lists, they usually give coupons and merchandise credit for new members

Thanks for the useful info. and tips, just what I was looking for. Would you mind telling me how often you use the products above? i.e. wash, polish products every week and then sealant and wax only every 6 months, etc. Just curious how often I really should be doing any of this stuff. I don't want to over do it.
      12-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

For "no fuss" hard to beat Klasse AIO. I've done the various products over the years, but recently tried this; am very happy with it, considering how little time I spent on detailing these days. But I think you have a good list there; probably can't go wrong.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
Thanks for the useful info. and tips, just what I was looking for. Would you mind telling me how often you use the products above? i.e. wash, polish products every week and then sealant and wax only every 6 months, etc. Just curious how often I really should be doing any of this stuff. I don't want to over do it.
No problem

I usually wash my car once or twice a week using the 2 bucket method. Start by cleaning your wheels first. Then start from the roof and rinse your mitt in the clean bucket after every panel. Wash your car off, and dry it with a microfiber towel.

For a quick polish, I use AF tripple or AF rejuvenate. It fills in alot of the little swirl marks and actually has a caranauba wax in it. After that, I usually put a sealant or wax. The quality of the wax you buy will basically determine how often you would have to wax your car. With pinnacle souveran i usually do it every few months.

Here is a good reference for proper methods on how to wash, polish, wax, etc.. : http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
For "no fuss" hard to beat Klasse AIO. I've done the various products over the years, but recently tried this; am very happy with it, considering how little time I spent on detailing these days. But I think you have a good list there; probably can't go wrong.
Cool, Klasse AIO looks to be a sealant wax solution you apply twice a year. Did it really repel dirt and bead water for 6 months like it says?

Also, if Klasse is the sealant used every 6 months, what do you use in between for quick polishing after a good car wash and some decon?
      12-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Cool, Klasse AIO looks to be a sealant wax solution you apply twice a year. Did it really repel dirt and bead water for 6 months like it says?

Also, if Klasse is the sealant used every 6 months, what do you use in between for quick polishing after a good car wash and some decon?
So far, so good. I've done it once, a couple months ago. In between I just wash it with Griots's car wash soap. I travel a lot so the car does not spend a huge amount of time out.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR M3 View Post
No problem

I usually wash my car once or twice a week using the 2 bucket method. Start by cleaning your wheels first. Then start from the roof and rinse your mitt in the clean bucket after every panel. Wash your car off, and dry it with a microfiber towel.

For a quick polish, I use AF tripple or AF rejuvenate. It fills in alot of the little swirl marks and actually has a caranauba wax in it. After that, I usually put a sealant or wax. The quality of the wax you buy will basically determine how often you would have to wax your car. With pinnacle souveran i usually do it every few months.

Here is a good reference for proper methods on how to wash, polish, wax, etc.. : http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
So far, so good. I've done it once, a couple months ago. In between I just wash it with Griots's car wash soap. I travel a lot so the car does not spend a huge amount of time out.
Thanks! Good tips.
      12-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
If you don't care about perfection and will have it professionally done every year, then all you need is to maintenance wash it and maybe apply a new coat of wax if needed (with maybe a decon before applying the wax).

Two bucket method with grit guards for washing, dry with a leaf blower (or get fancy with one of those master blasters), and a decent wax is all you need. This will probably give you the best look, lowest cost, and least amount of swirls added to the paint in between detailings.

You seem to have the basics covered with some extras for extra steps (decon, etc).

For what it's worth, I would only wash every week or two as needed. If it's your daily, you'll need to wash it more often. Polishing with AF Tripple (or any polish really) should be minimized to when the paint really needs the correction. I would only do full details once a year on mine, with another minor detailing sometime during the year. The full detail would cover correction to the paint as needed. The minor detail is more of a cover/filler (with something like Tripple), and some wax/sealant. Depending on the time of year, like if it's winter prep I am doing, I'll use a good sealant since I likely won't be touching it much until spring. A good sealant will last much longer than a cheaper wax typically (although some cheaper waxes out there are fantastic). I use AF Tough Coat for a sealant. I last did my truck about 5-6 months ago and it's still beading when it gets wet.

Last edited by Templar; 12-13-2012 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
If you don't care about perfection and will have it professionally done every year, then all you need is to maintenance wash it and maybe apply a new coat of wax if needed (with maybe a decon before applying the wax).

Two bucket method with grit guards for washing, dry with a leaf blower (or get fancy with one of those master blasters), and a decent wax is all you need. This will probably give you the best look, lowest cost, and least amount of swirls added to the paint in between detailings.

You seem to have the basics covered with some extras for extra steps (decon, etc).

For what it's worth, I would only wash every week or two as needed. If it's your daily, you'll need to wash it more often. Polishing with AF Tripple (or any polish really) should be minimized to when the paint really needs the correction. I would only do full details once a year on mine, with another minor detailing sometime during the year. The full detail would cover correction to the paint as needed. The minor detail is more of a cover/filler (with something like Tripple), and some wax/sealant. Depending on the time of year, like if it's winter prep I am doing, I'll use a good sealant since I likely won't be touching it much until spring. A good sealant will last much longer than a cheaper wax typically (although some cheaper waxes out there are fantastic). I use AF Tough Coat for a sealant. I last did my truck about 5-6 months ago and it's still beading when it gets wet.
Thanks!

While I'm sure not the best color depth and shine, I went with something easy to use and proven over many years it seems (Klasse All-In-One), wax and sealant. Supposed to be great for 6 months and easy to apply. Have you heard of this product and do you have any thoughts?

Also with a brand new car, do you think it's already been sealed? or is it all cheap wax?
      12-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks!

While I'm sure not the best color depth and shine, I went with something easy to use and proven over many years it seems (Klasse All-In-One), wax and sealant. Supposed to be great for 6 months and easy to apply. Have you heard of this product and do you have any thoughts?

Also with a brand new car, do you think it's already been sealed? or is it all cheap wax?
Brand new cars are usually treated like crap at the dealerships. They come out full of swirls and contamination. Some places might do a decent job, but they usually get wiped down with a few dirty rags and get some paint damage. It's definitely not sealed with a good sealant, might have a cheap spray on wax applied but that's probably it.
      12-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Brand new cars are usually treated like crap at the dealerships. They come out full of swirls and contamination. Some places might do a decent job, but they usually get wiped down with a few dirty rags and get some paint damage. It's definitely not sealed with a good sealant, might have a cheap spray on wax applied but that's probably it.
Ok, that means I would have to get to work on it
      01-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
F85_RN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

best option would be to take your car to the detail shop
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 S4

I'm using the Adam's Detail Spray that I spray on the car after washing but while its still wet. Use the Uber Super Drying Towel for the drying process. The spray is awesome for preventing water spots, smells great, and helps prep for your wax/sealant process. And the towel is amazing! I can dry my entire car with one towel and love it. Reach out to Phil at DetailersDomain.com for the stuff and use coupon code BMW for 10% off.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Quote:
Thanks!

Can't go wrong with Klasse. It works very well. However, every good detailer tells me, "find a product you like and use it often." Although Klasse may last for 6 months, I would recommend you seal every 2-3 months. You can even put a coat of wax on top of the sealant to bring more depth in your paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJunkins View Post
I'm using the Adam's Detail Spray that I spray on the car after washing but while its still wet. Use the Uber Super Drying Towel for the drying process. The spray is awesome for preventing water spots, smells great, and helps prep for your wax/sealant process. And the towel is amazing! I can dry my entire car with one towel and love it. Reach out to Phil at DetailersDomain.com for the stuff and use coupon code BMW for 10% off.
I do the exact same thing! The detail spray definitely helps keep the paint safe during drying.

and DD sells a bunch of great products with plenty of threads on this board to show how well they work.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post
Can't go wrong with Klasse. It works very well. However, every good detailer tells me, "find a product you like and use it often." Although Klasse may last for 6 months, I would recommend you seal every 2-3 months. You can even put a coat of wax on top of the sealant to bring more depth in your paint.

I do the exact same thing! The detail spray definitely helps keep the paint safe during drying.

and DD sells a bunch of great products with plenty of threads on this board to show how well they work.
Same here, detail spray on damp MF works well for initial drying. But to truly stop any scratching I use a leaf blower, plus blot out water drops.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #20
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The label may say that Klasse AIO last 6 months, but if you check user reviews on detailing forums, many say that it lasts about a month on it's own. You'd need to top it off with something like Klasse SG to get something close to 6 months.
Appreciate 0