BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

09-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Wheel Alignment on E90 M3

I recently hit a pot-hole hard enough to require a wheel alignment for my 08 M3 Sedan. The BMW shop used generic specs for a 3 series to complete the alignment (attached). If there is an expert out there who can comment on whether this is appropriate, or if different "M3" specs should be used, I would appreciate the help. I have read conflicting comments on-line. (the handwritten notes on the left). The car is essentially for street use, so specific track specs are not necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2008 E90 M3 Sedan_Alignment Nos.PDF (51.2 KB, 677 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

I would think that M's would have a special alignment due to all of the neg. camber.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Wheel_Alignment_US.pdf
This is the USA spec for the E46 M3....probably not much use except for giving an idea of the general alignment for this type of sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Looks like the specs that you got are pretty good; little toe, even caster, even camber. Should be great for street driving... you have a touch of negative camber in the front (good) and a little more than that in the rear (also good). If you start adding extreme negative camber, you can wear your tires out faster and have suboptimal grip under braking.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 04:26 AM   #5
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Instead I would suggest that the car a little needs more front negative camber....I'm betting that the proper specs for his car would show something similar to the E46 M3 spec...gives better turn in and better grip under heavy cornering load at the front with no downside under braking once the tyres have worn in to the new alignment.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Instead I would suggest that the car a little needs more front negative camber....I'm betting that the proper specs for his car would show something similar to the E46 M3 spec...gives better turn in and better grip under heavy cornering load at the front with no downside under braking once the tyres have worn in to the new alignment.
True. However, the difference between -.7º and -1.0º or even -1.2º static camber is negligible on the street and probably also pretty hard to detect at a casual track day. It's certainly not worth another trip back to the alignment shop in my opinion. I think the most important thing is that the car is aligns evenly and well within spec after hitting that pothole.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
True. However, the difference between -.7º and -1.0º or even -1.2º static camber is negligible on the street and probably also pretty hard to detect at a casual track day.
I think for this particular car thats fair comment, but there are cars that do react noticibly to quite small changes in front camber and toe. Nevertheless its still worth having the correct alignment specs rather than the specs from a different car even if the differences may not noticible in the short term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
It's certainly not worth another trip back to the alignment shop in my opinion. I think the most important thing is that the car is aligns evenly and well within spec after hitting that pothole.
I guess so...myself I would make the trip back once the dealer has the correct M3 alignment spec if it varied significantly from the generic 3 series spec they used.
Appreciate 0