BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 6MT M3

Clutch issue...

I made a huge mistake and let my friend drive my car to get a free detail and to make it worse he works at AUDI. So I get my car back and it looks great.

Next morning I try to drive my car the the clutch pedal is very soft and you can push it down very easily. It did not have the spring kick back when you are releasing the clutch while the car is on. Almost felt like the clutch needed to be replaced.

So I took my car in to get serviced and they told me the SLAVE CYLINDER is leaking and needs to be replaced. So they fixed that and gave me the car. Still same result even though I let the service adviser feel my clutch vs their M3 on the lot.

They couldnt figure out the problem so they ordered me a new clutch. So the car is driving fine and a few days later there is a little smoke coming from the front passenger side. So im taking it back in for service. Could it be the oils burning from the first leak?

On top of that, coming out of gear and into neutral, when releasing the clutch, (when car is on) I get a clicking sound that I feel on my foot! Really annoying. Anyone have that? Probably not.

Im not a mechanic and don't know much about it. Ive been driving stick since I was 17 and had an e46 m3 before this. NEver had an issue like this. When your car is on...Is the clutch pedal suppose to be hard to push down and other times softer/easier?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
White08M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tma1c View Post
I made a huge mistake and let my friend drive my car to get a free detail and to make it worse he works at AUDI. So I get my car back and it looks great.

Next morning I try to drive my car the the clutch pedal is very soft and you can push it down very easily. It did not have the spring kick back when you are releasing the clutch while the car is on. Almost felt like the clutch needed to be replaced.

So I took my car in to get serviced and they told me the SLAVE CYLINDER is leaking and needs to be replaced. So they fixed that and gave me the car. Still same result even though I let the service adviser feel my clutch vs their M3 on the lot.

They couldnt figure out the problem so they ordered me a new clutch. So the car is driving fine and a few days later there is a little smoke coming from the front passenger side. So im taking it back in for service. Could it be the oils burning from the first leak?

On top of that, coming out of gear and into neutral, when releasing the clutch, (when car is on) I get a clicking sound that I feel on my foot! Really annoying. Anyone have that? Probably not.

Im not a mechanic and don't know much about it. Ive been driving stick since I was 17 and had an e46 m3 before this. NEver had an issue like this. When your car is on...Is the clutch pedal suppose to be hard to push down and other times softer/easier?

yikes i dno man, sounds like ur friend took full advantage of the ride

E92 ///M3/Alpine White/6MT/Tech/VRS Boot Lid/UUC SSK/H&R Sport Drop/Hamann lip/ Remus Race Exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White08M3 View Post
yikes i dno man, sounds like ur friend took full advantage of the ride
I would have to agree, but I'm more fed up with BMWs service!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
ygfamily21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche Cayman S

That sucks man...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

I don't think that your friend can damage it like that. The worst he can do is to burn the clutch. or grind the transmission (which is not the case). Just let the dealer work on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
I don't think that your friend can damage it like that. The worst he can do is to burn the clutch. or grind the transmission (which is not the case). Just let the dealer work on it.
3RD TIME they will be working on it. hopefully they fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

how long have u had the car for?
if its a really recent purchase, i would make a stink.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
how long have u had the car for?
if its a really recent purchase, i would make a stink.
i have 3500 miles on her
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
likestogofast
Old Fart
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT... My Beater

Sounds like you have air in the system... It can be a real pain in the ass to get all the air out... the smell is most likely brake fluid dripping on the exhaust... the sound your hear while in neutral is the throw out bearing, because M's are made light there is less insulation like in other cars. Some M3s' throw out bearings make more noise than others... There are 5 of us friends with 2008 & 2009 M3's, all coupes all MT... They all make noise when in neutral and the clutch is released.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by likestogofast View Post
Sounds like you have air in the system... It can be a real pain in the ass to get all the air out... the smell is most likely brake fluid dripping on the exhaust... the sound your hear while in neutral is the throw out bearing, because M's are made light there is less insulation like in other cars. Some M3s' throw out bearings make more noise than others... There are 5 of us friends with 2008 & 2009 M3's, all coupes all MT... They all make noise when in neutral and the clutch is released.
THANKS FOR THE INFO!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

I'm having similar problems, seems more likely to happen when the car is cold. Anyway, the clutch sticks. When I press it in all the way it fells like there is a bit of sticky gum on the back of the clutch and it feels like it is temporarily sticking to the floor. When the clutch comes back out it is floppy, no/loose feeling in the first couple of inches. Once today the clutch actually stayed in and didn't come out until I tapped it a few times, scary. After the engine warms up the problem seems to go away. I've a service appt scheduled for next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

I'd put more emphasis on coincidence.... if the car can't take a little wear and tear - I'd be surprised.
      03-25-2009, 01:30 AM   #13
Paddy
Captain
Rep

I've been driving MT's for over 26 years, first time I've ever experienced a problem like this. I'll let ye know what the service center find.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 02:02 AM   #14
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Just ask them to remove the MT and put in a DCT. That should take care of it.

But seriously, hope you get it sorted. Sounds scary having the clutch pedal not bounce back.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well I got my car back and the car was leaking because they forgot to put O rings back on when they put the new clutch!!! Everything is fine now.

The only issue i have is the clutch pedal (clicking noise) that vibrates my foot gently but its annoying . It only happens when im releasing clutch and going into neutral at the top of the release.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #16
mxracer
Rep
Drives: White E92 M3

Thats what it sounded like a leak when you explained the smoke. I have a hard time letting friends or even close family drive my cars for this reason. You must be a trusting friend
      03-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #17
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer View Post
Thats what it sounded like a leak when you explained the smoke. I have a hard time letting friends or even close family drive my cars for this reason. You must be a trusting friend
I am, but not anymore I still dont get how he f'd the car up. He only drives stick for like 15 years. Thought Ms can take a beating. My e46 took some beatings. I just hope this was a fluke accident. I didnt buy this car to drive slow.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #18
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=SS14;4775511]Just ask them to remove the MT and put in a DCT. That should take care of it.

I dont want to lose my manhood. MT 4 life!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
I'm having similar problems, seems more likely to happen when the car is cold. Anyway, the clutch sticks. When I press it in all the way it fells like there is a bit of sticky gum on the back of the clutch and it feels like it is temporarily sticking to the floor. When the clutch comes back out it is floppy, no/loose feeling in the first couple of inches. Once today the clutch actually stayed in and didn't come out until I tapped it a few times, scary. After the engine warms up the problem seems to go away. I've a service appt scheduled for next week.
Got a call from the Service Adviser (left the car in yesterday)

Slight leak in Clutch Slave Cylinder, they're replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #20
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Got a call from the Service Adviser (left the car in yesterday)

Slight leak in Clutch Slave Cylinder, they're replacing it.
Make sure it did not f up your clutch. I had them replace my whole clutch.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #21
equ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Croc & toaster

I don't think a person can damage a slave cylinder too easily. Sounds like coincidence to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #22
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I don't think a person can damage a slave cylinder too easily. Sounds like coincidence to me.
They found leaking pipe and seal on slave cylinder, replaced and bled the system. Felt a bit weird when I got the car back, clutch seemed shorter, but I got used to it again on my daily "track" practice. I do loops on the freeway after traffic dies down in the evening, couple of nice 90/270 degree on/off ramps and merges that I can loop easily and practice my heel and toe.

They said it was rare to have leaking slave.
Appreciate 0