BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

So.. I just got my car back from the software update, I was driving on the 241 roll road in oc, I looked around, didn't see anyone, and I floored it, I looked at my speedo and I was going 90mph, any how I got pulled over by chp a he claimed to have clocked me at 105mph which I think is ridiculous considering I let off the throttle at 90mph..

So I asked him to show me his radar and he said "for what?" And I said because I want to see the 105mph he clocked me at.. And he said no because it doesn't show and it doesn't store the information etc...

Is this weird? And how can I fight this to at least get off on just speeding?

Needless to say, my car didn't get towed and I'm home now..

Insights welcome..
Thank u
      03-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

I'm pretty sure it does store the speed but maybe different models have different settings. You could probably testify to the effect that the radar unit was either not in use, calibrated properly, or the officer did not actually know your speed and decided you were just going fast. Either way just say you were going at a safe speed for given conditions and no where near the 105 mph marker.

I'm sure there are more technicalities you can use but thats my very limited knowledge lol. Others please chime in.
      03-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
he claimed to have clocked me at 10mph
That's a pretty compelling argument right there. He should have given you a ticket for driving too slow.
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
Is this weird? And how can I fight this to at least get off on just speeding?
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
druheezy
Peon and General Shoveabout
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Contest via written declaration. I got out of my ticket using this method. I signed up with www.ticketassassin.com probably 10 years ago and it paid off (68 in a 50). It tells you counter arguments and strategies. GL.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
cambit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 COUPE

100mph? I don't think ticketassassin will help you here. Might want to call Johnnie Cochran on this one. If the glove don't fit, acquit!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
IIRC, when they use the radar to ticket you they normally leave the reading on until after the stop. Not 100% sure though.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

With the technology available to us today (iphone..etc..etc..), I'd be courteous to the office, and cordially ask him to show me the radar detector, and ask him if I can take a picture of it with my iphone, and if he refuses, then at least have a fighting chance he didn't even clock you.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

You are pretty much screwed. It's his word against yours...and his word always wins, even when caught in a contradictory statement or outright lie. You have 3 options here:

1. Trial by written declaration, and hope he is to lazy to respond (only way to win one of those in my opinion). Get ticket assassin for the examples...

2. Go in front of the Judge and try to plead it down to a 1 pointer with traffic school.

3. Get a traffic lawyer. Guilty or not, Judges extend "professional" courtesies to attorneys and reduce or dismiss charges on the spot before it ever hits trial. Getting representation is really the only way to get your case heard fairly in my opinion...representing yourself your only real hope is the cop does not show.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray/MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Was is a radar or was is the Laser? Radar and Laser devices are calibrated. Highly unlikely the Chippy would be using an uncalibrated device. They always bring the calibration paperwork to court and submit it as evidence of the current calibration. Officers are not required to show the device to you. That means allowing you out of your vehicle and come within close proximity of them and their patrol car. Compromises officer safety (not saying you would do anything stupid but officers have died from situations like this). The officer has to visually estimate your speed then verify with the radar device. Officers are tested yearly estimating speed and have to pass. Their certificate of passing is also introduced into court. Essentially they could stop you off their visual estimation (no device required).

Just my insight. Good luck to you. Best thing just go to court and request a reduction in the fine. A $400 + ticket may be dropped down to $280 or so depending on you past driving record.

Does your ticket stated 105mph or 90+? Anything over 100mph can be an automatic license suspension. If he wrote you for 90 and not 105 then you should personally thank the officer. He cut you a huge break.
      03-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep

...forgot to add, you have to realize this is about extorting revenue out of you. Your guilt or innocence is irrelevant.

If traffic tickets were truly about public safety, the fine would be minimal, traffic school would be mandatory if you want to avoid a license suspension, and the points would show up on your record period. The way things are set up, the government takes big money from you to hide the infraction from your insurance company who would undoubtedly raise your rates. The insurance industry knows this, and therefore adjusts their risk accordingly...and you end up paying twice anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Nardo E92 '15 Fashion F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
I would listen to SDPRT! I have a feeling he is the most knowledgeable. Just my guess...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
...forgot to add, you have to realize this is about extorting revenue out of you. Your guilt or innocence is irrelevant.

If traffic tickets were truly about public safety, the fine would be minimal, traffic school would be mandatory if you want to avoid a license suspension, and the points would show up on your record period. The way things are set up, the government takes big money from you to hide the infraction from your insurance company who would undoubtedly raise your rates. The insurance industry knows this, and therefore adjusts their risk accordingly...and you end up paying twice anyway.
You have proof? This would be news worthy if you did.
      03-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep

SDPRT,

What part are you asking for proof on?

...the fact that traffic tickets are about revenue first, and public safety second...or the Insurance premium part?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu
SDPRT,

What part are you asking for proof on?

...the fact that traffic tickets are about revenue first, and public safety second...or the Insurance premium part?
Yes....all three parts. What type of punishment do you suggest if there was no financial punishment involved? I believe you would suggest lesser fines. Apparently they aren't high enough because motorists continue to violate traffic laws. Can you believe a cell phone ticket is about $180. Lets ask all the motorists out there who use them if they are deterred because they aren't.

I agree with you about insurance premiums. I hate paying them but with a clean driving record and multi car discount my rates are pretty reasonable.
      03-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep

SDPRT, where to start...

I have previously posted links to articles that had talked about ticket quotas...and that municipalities explicitly pressure their police departments to write more tickets for revenue purposes. I believe Palmdale got caught red handed in federal court over this 10 years ago. They were threatening the LA County Sheriff's policing contract for the city as leverage...the substation ended up having a lazy motorcycle deputy who sued & nailed his superiors over an illegal quota, and everything came out in the public domain. LAPD had a similar stink a few years back. Strangely, this stuff never makes mainstream news.

...charging exorbitant fines is just a revenue grab in my opinion. Here is a document on where the money actually goes http://www.occourts.org/media/pdf/SB1407.pdf

The practice of hiding points from your insurance companies leads to higher premiums for everyone. The conviction rates which are public record vs. points on DMV driving records are an easily correlated statistic. I can assure you the points DMV is not showing vs conviction rates are accounted for and factored into the risk analysis model used to underwrite your policy & determine rates. In simple terms, everyone who has insurance is paying for this discrepancy. Eliminate the ability for traffic school to keep the points of your record would result in slightly lower rates for the majority with clean records, and an increased rate for those with a 1 point ticket. The the government gets to pocket the extra fees for traffic school at the expense of every single insured driver.

I may be cynical talking about the whole subject and I recognize that...I see government spending & taxation as out of control in California with traffic fines being just another avenue to gouge. I got a ticket for 95mph in Texas on the I-10...it was $135, In California that's $550+ land as the OP is unfortunately going to find out when he goes to court.

My belief is that unfortunately traffic fines are seen as a revenue source first, safety second. Red light cameras managed by private companies on contract are probably the most blatant example of this.

Last edited by bubu; 03-05-2013 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep

SDPRT,

...not sure if you know this, but cellphone tickets are not a moving violation under the California vehicle code so no points for texting or yapping away while driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Since this conversation has shifted a bit, here's a good article on Red Light cameras in SD: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...-filner-halts/
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #19
meez
Sloppy Seconds Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: uhhh wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post

Preach, brethren.
100% True.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #20
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
bubu,
Great points there but I'm not sold on your theory. Officers are not forced to write more tickets to generate revenue for their city and CA. As there was proof 10 years ago whats in place now are performance standards. For example a police officer works 10 hours. If that officer has 10 hours of non activity such as no citizen contacts, no reports, no arrests and yes... no traffic citations then the officer will be under review if its a pattern. Revenue is generated from each crime/charge and if convicted have to pay fines, pay court fees, pay back restitution and in some instances serve a jail term. Revenue is generated from taxes. Revenue can be generated from those who continue to violate the vehicle code. I do believe that red light cameras are ways of cheating. I don't believe in them.
      03-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #21
ScreaM
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

You were doing 90 and you are wondering how you can get beat it

I dont think that's likely to happen
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #22
AV9
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

OP, I could be totally wrong...

but didn't you say you had a radar detector at some point?