BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
screamguitar47
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

nothin' but problems with my CPO 2008 M3...Advice needed

Hi All,
I bought my 2008 CPO M3 within the past couple of months. It only had 27K miles on it and was in great shape.

Noticed pretty quickly that there was something wrong with the manual transmission. At times it would not go into gear, sometimes it would pop out of gear, and every once in a while in second gear it would act like a bucking bronco (almost as if i was taking my foot off and then slamming on the gas repeadedly).

Brought it in for service, and they diagnosed a bad transmission, and replaced it for me. this was about two weeks ago.

The new trans was great for a couple days, however now i am having a really hard time getting into gear again. R, 1-3 are all really resistant and hard to shift into, 4 is fine every time, and 5 and 6 are tough to get to as well (although not as resistant as R, 1-3)

Further, it seems as if the clutch is not totally disengaging...its weird, as I shift i hear a pretty significant clunking sound and can also feel it...a little hard to explain. And yes, the clutch is all the way to the floor when I shift.

Anyway, here are the questions:
1) does anyone know about how lemon law works on a CPO car? Do I have any options here?
2) any ideas as to what could be causing my ongoing transmission woes? Was it a poor install job? Can something in the tranny be adjusted?

Anyway, open to any feedback you might have. thanks for reading.
      06-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
It's under warranty, so just take it back. Not much else you can do. Lemon only applies to new cars afaik.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
screamguitar47
Rep

yup, its back at the shop now. we'll see what they say.

Regarding lemon law...I did some research after I posted, and it looks as if New York State has used car lemon law protection for consumers. Found an arbitration form to fill out and then it gets reviewed and a hearing is held by the NYS attoryney general.

has anyone in NY gone through this process?
      06-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
clutch not totally disengaging...

throwout bearing? cluch master or slave cylinder not disengaging it enough? what did they replace along with the gearbox?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
screamguitar47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
clutch not totally disengaging...

throwout bearing? cluch master or slave cylinder not disengaging it enough? what did they replace along with the gearbox?
just the gearbox, according to the work order and the service advisor. Re-used clutch and all other parts.

Interesting point on throwout bearing and master/slave cylinder...will have to bring that up when I talk to them again...

thank you for the feedback...keep it comin!
      06-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Sounds like a warped flywheel or other clutch friction plate throwout bearing issues. That bucking is usually a direct link to clutch problems, everything else just follows suit.
We did a camaro ss that was the same way, wouldnt stay in gear and you could put it in second, nice and smooth and just roll into the throttle and it would start jerking so bad it felt like it was going to jump off the dyno. Replaced the clutch and all way good. We never put a clutch back in a car without refacing the flywheel surface.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
First mistake, buying a used M3 in Long Island.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
screamguitar47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
First mistake, buying a used M3 in Long Island.

huh?
      06-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Captain45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 - SG

I think hes saying M3's get beat up by Jersey Boys around there
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
screamguitar47
Rep

That's the thing...NJ is this whole other state...

Besides, the salesman said that a little old lady used to drive this back and forth to church every sunday. Seems plausible.

LOL thanks for clarifying.
      06-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

sounds like they need to give you a new transmission. I don't know what they did the first time, there's a chance they may have just replaced some parts, but you need to ask for a completely new transmission this time.

I wouldn't go through lemon process until they've replaced the entire transmission.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
rdollie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Sedan

Yeah, but did she realize it wasn't an automatic Maybe she thought it was a really loud car that didn't have much top end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamguitar47 View Post
That's the thing...NJ is this whole other state...

Besides, the salesman said that a little old lady used to drive this back and forth to church every sunday. Seems plausible.

LOL thanks for clarifying.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
We never put a clutch back in a car without refacing the flywheel surface.
i would personally put the flywheel back in as is unless it showed problems (like cracks from heat, or grooves from a worn clutch) as long as i was putting in the same clutch disk. but i am not pulling a tranny without going all the way. if i am going to all the trouble of pulling a tranny, i am changing the rear main seal, the pilot bearing, the throwout bearing, the pressure plate and disk - and yes resurfacing or replacing the flywheel. sounds like they did none of that on this job and should have. to me, the parts are cheap compared to my time to pull it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
WeathersWe
Rep
Drives: bmw

It's under warranty, so just take it back
      06-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #15
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Bummer, smart move getting CPO. You gotta watch out for those little old lady drivers. They're infamous for doing donuts and burnouts every chance they get. Good thing is when all is said and done, you'll have brand new parts installed. Keep taking it back until it's right. PITA though, feel for you brother man.

What guitar/gear do you play?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
screamguitar47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Bummer, smart move getting CPO. You gotta watch out for those little old lady drivers. They're infamous for doing donuts and burnouts every chance they get. Good thing is when all is said and done, you'll have brand new parts installed. Keep taking it back until it's right. PITA though, feel for you brother man.

What guitar/gear do you play?

Thanks dude and LOL at the old lady comment!!! Frustrating but hope it works out soon. Got a call from the service advisor yesterday...saying they cant find any problems lol. Going to do a ride-along today and show them whats up. Rediculous.

Guitar wise--I mostly play a les paul classic goldtop with piezo pickup system in the bridge, dimarzios, coil tap and buzz feiten tuning system. Also use music man guitars (john petrucci signature and axis super sport), along with a Fender, Babicz, and martin acoustic. I love my guitar collection and am always looking out for more...

Amp wise--well, I gave up my boogie half-stack and boutique pedals for a...line 6 spider valve! LOL. the rooms that I play now are too small for such a LOUD setup, so I needed something that can sound good at low volumes. For a tube snob like I was...it actually isn't half bad.
      06-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
screamguitar47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdollie View Post
Yeah, but did she realize it wasn't an automatic Maybe she thought it was a really loud car that didn't have much top end...
ha!!! that was funny!!!