Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

05-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #1
taylorsjt
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black e92

grettings

Hi All,

New to the forum. Been following for some time, started researching whilst deciding which way to go, RS4, M3 or AMG. The M3 won out (as I suspected it would), I picked up a used Jerez Black e92 from a main dealer.

Been a BMW person for a long while and have had the pleasure of having many "e numbers"

My last car was an e61 M5. Awesome car but ferociously expensive to run....the M3 (albeit never likely to be cheap to run) has so far proved to be much more justifiable / acceptable.

Having used both car's to their fullest extent, the M3 is by far and away the better drivers car, the manual transmission is simply the best gearbox I have ever used - it beats the SMG of the 5 hands down. The M5 is a stunning piece of engineering and devastatingly quick but the M3 mile for mile is a much more entertaining drive (imho)

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by taylorsjt; 05-27-2010 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Dakar Edition

Welcome to the fourm Steve, did you try the DCT box? it's a stunnign bit of kit, I find BME manual gearboxes to be some of the worst out there for feel and slickness. honda manuals are leagues ahead...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
taylorsjt
United Kingdom
Rep

Not driven honda's so can't quote. Friends have been v positive though; the BMW box is rough as a badgers backside until it is properly warmed up, it is then sweet as a nut. Did a cross country run yesterday across Cotswolds, North Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire, didn't miss a beat.

I tried the DCT, excellent box, I wanted though to get my hands dirty (so to speak) after the SMG of the M5; which incidentally is brutal if shifting without lifting off giving it full beans. To drive was awesome, to be a passenger was whiplash inducing. Even if you never own one, everyone should have a drive of the e6xx 5 Series..........a brutal car, no other word for it, owners affectionately call it a beast for a very good reason. Here is hoping the eurocratic police don't elicit a watered down f10 M5.

Last edited by taylorsjt; 05-27-2010 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
taylorsjt
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorsjt View Post
N the BMW box is rough as a badgers backside until it is properly warmed up,
When I say warm, I mean roasting! Once you have the car up to speed and have done a good few rev limiter shifts with the car fizzing the box then truly comes into its own.

I had forgotten the pleasures of achieving sweet shifting with a slick manual box. I was on the fence for the first few weeks at to the decision I had made....not any more.