BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #23
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Quite surprised. I thought going from M3 to Porsche was the natural progression. Congrats and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
I've been considering selling my '11 GT3 w/ less than 4K miles for a E92 M3 w/ Comp pkg, which is why I registered here. Sometimes I feel that the GT3 is too focused to drive on the street with any regularity. Great on backroads but as a DD I've got to think that the M3 would be better.
That's what happened to me. I sold my 2010 gt3 after 2 months and for an r8 v10. You can't drive a gt3 everyday (you could but you won't be happy doing it).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #25
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Op I had no problem dd my 997 carrera s. it was surprisingly practical for such a small car. I enjoyed driving the Porsche a lot more than the m3 in almost every conceivable way. I only liked the dct better than pdk and the idrive and sound system were far better in the m3 but that's it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #26
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
I've been considering selling my '11 GT3 w/ less than 4K miles for a E92 M3 w/ Comp pkg, which is why I registered here. Sometimes I feel that the GT3 is too focused to drive on the street with any regularity. Great on backroads but as a DD I've got to think that the M3 would be better.
Personally, I'd find a way to make the GT3 work. That's a special car.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #27
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
Personally, I'd find a way to make the GT3 work. That's a special car.
I hear ya there. 435 bhp in a 3,100 lb car, Mezger engine, last year of the manual GT3 etc.
      07-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #28
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
I hear ya there. 435 bhp in a 3,100 lb car, Mezger engine, last year of the manual GT3 etc.
You said it. Future classic - I have no doubt about it. Keep it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #29
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
991S 911 > E9x M3 > 997.2S 911.
But from a price perspective, no Porsche can touch the all around awesomeness of the M3.
And as a middle-aged man, I can drive it around town without looking like a mid-life crisis on wheels. Seriously, I am too old to pull off a P-Car anywhere but the track. And the way I drive at the track, I couldn't pull it off there either, come to think of it.

But if I was under 40, or could drive worth a damn - get back!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #30
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantyTracker View Post
And as a middle-aged man, I can drive it around town without looking like a mid-life crisis on wheels. Seriously, I am too old to pull off a P-Car anywhere but the track. And the way I drive at the track, I couldn't pull it off there either, come to think of it.

If your argument is purely a social one then it could be said that a M3 is a car for a younger man, someone say 34 to 40 or so. Most men under 40 cannot afford a 911.

There are too many stereotypes with respect to cars. Drive what you like. Never mind what the person next to you at the stoplight thinks.
      07-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #31
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

I love threads like these. Always great to hear from people who came from the "other side". Welcome, OP
      07-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #32
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Mezger engine just rolls off the tongue. So much history. Gt3. Everything purpose built for one thing.

Go

Fast
      07-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #33
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:

You really care that much about what other random strangers may or may not think about you? If I had the money I'd buy whatever car I wanted.
Except a boxster that really is a midlife crisis on wheels for women!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #34
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

GT3 RS 4.0?
959 ?
GT1?
Gt2 996?
Turbo 991?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #35
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
You really care that much about what other random strangers may or may not think about you? If I had the money I'd buy whatever car I wanted.
Except a boxster that really is a midlife crisis on wheels for women!
Yep, I care. I am what I am, just as much as anybody who says "drive what you want and screw the haters." Part of being what I am means I will make reasonable efforts to avoid coming off like a douchebag, for which I don't apologize. This is a car-conservative community and a guy tooling around town in a 911 looks like he's compensating for some other tool issues. A guy in an M3 looks like just another of the zillion 3 series we have.

If you live in a community where you don't come off like a douchebag, more power to you. I understand they exist. Or if you like being a douchebag, that's a side issue.

At the track here, 911s are totally worshiped, with good reason. And there is a whole set of guys a generation older than me who seems to show up in C5s. But at this point in my training, they would be totally wasted on me. Maybe someday. A guy can dream.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #36
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Yep, I care. I am what I am, just as much as anybody who says "drive what you want and screw the haters." Part of being what I am means I will make reasonable efforts to avoid coming off like a douchebag, for which I don't apologize. This is a car-conservative community and a guy tooling around town in a 911 looks like he's compensating for some other tool issues. A guy in an M3 looks like just another of the zillion 3 series we have.

If you live in a community where you don't come off like a douchebag, more power to you. I understand they exist. Or if you like being a douchebag, that's a side issue.

At the track here, 911s are totally worshiped, with good reason. And there is a whole set of guys a generation older than me who seems to show up in C5s. But at this point in my training, they would be totally wasted on me. Maybe someday. A guy can dream.
I also try not to care what other people think, but if I'm honest, I do care some.

In general, I do my best to be a humble guy. My wife and I have been blessed in life, and make more than most people in both of our families, and in our group of friends. We have a nice house, but it's not extravagant. I'm on the frugal side, so I don't spend a lot on clothes, don't wear a watch, etc.

I guess my greatest concern was whether my family would think it was a wasteful way to spend my money. Anyway, they were all really happy for me, if a bit shocked by it, but since I've had it, I've been able to let my dad and almost all my siblings drive it - sharing the enjoyment I get from it with them has been great. Also, I think taking it to the track and on long road trips makes it pretty clear to them and our friends that this is one of my passions - that it's more about the experience than just having another nice possession.

I'll dream with you about having a Porsche one day (it's in my blood; my dad actually had a 356B Super 90 when he was young and single).
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #37
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
This is a car-conservative community and a guy tooling around town in a 911 looks like he's compensating for some other tool issues.
Wow so basically everyone who drives a 911 is a douchebag.
Is this a common perception in the states?
From the day I got my licence I have bought the fastest "drivers" car I couldn't hardly afford. I've been really lucky to have owned quite a few old school 911s, my favorite being a modified 89 911 5 speed turbo. Never felt like or been called a DB for owning them...always had plenty of positive comments.
If I had the money I'd have a 911 on the drive this instant despite being well past the mid life crisis threshold.
When I see a nice car, I see the car not the person driving it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #38
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Keep the GT3... it will age much better than almost any modern car out there. Way things are going it will really be more special to drive THAT car in 15 years appose to whatever turbo M, AMG, Porsche car is available.

Example: My attainable dream car is a 993 RS with a fully built 3.8L. Not the fastest car out buy a long shot but that's not the point. Like most things in life WHAT your doing is not as important as HOW your doing it... motoring is very included in that statement.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #39
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I don't care what anybody thinks.
So... would you ride this?

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/onc...land-652042728
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #40
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

No guys who drive 911's are not douches....they're dicks lol. When I first took my wife out for a drive I told her that I look like such a dick in my GT3...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
Keep the GT3... it will age much better than almost any modern car out there. Way things are going it will really be more special to drive THAT car in 15 years appose to whatever turbo M, AMG, Porsche car is available.

Example: My attainable dream car is a 993 RS with a fully built 3.8L. Not the fastest car out buy a long shot but that's not the point. Like most things in life WHAT your doing is not as important as HOW your doing it... motoring is very included in that statement.
Porsche has been good with keeping past models relevant for the most part (other than the poor 996) so I tend to agree. I drove a M3 sedan yesterday w/ DCT and comp pkg. It was a nice car but the lower level of driver involvement wasn't what I was expecting. I'm likely jaded now and have a new found appreciation of my GT3.
      07-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #41
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

I don't know if I'd put the Porsche 911 in the same company as a Ferrari in terms of public perceptions. Ferrari is more like Fck you money not I got a good lease on this one.
hahaha
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #42
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm likely jaded now...
I had this same conversation with a friend yesterday. I've driven very few other cars in the past year, other than my own. From what I gather, I'm pretty much ruined on nearly every other car at this point.

I think the only way I could "downgrade" is to go with something lighter, lower, and more visceral (all the time, not just with everything turned up to 11).
Appreciate 0