BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Rough Idle

hey guys so you know when you turn your car on from a cold start how the engine idles rough while its in open loop? and then after maybe a couple mins the idle drops down to under 1k? Well today i turned my car on and i wouldn't say it was necessarily "cold" because 4 hours prior i finished driving it 50 miles. but any how, when it fired up, the idle was rough, as usual since it was kinda "cold" well i thought id give it a little gas and bring the idle to 2k to just get it warmed up faster before i took off, well when i did it almost sounded like i has an exhaust leak. it sounded terrible. Then when i let off the gas the idle dropped to under 1k and it began to surge as if it wanted to die. After about 10 seconds of it surging it went to normal.

i drove it on the freeway, did a couple hard pulls, no lack of power, no check engine lights, no nothing...

sorry for the long story here, but is this something i should be concerned about????
      05-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

no, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Too many people concerned about everything ruins the fun. Wait until it stops running, then fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92
hey guys so you know when you turn your car on from a cold start how the engine idles rough while its in open loop? and then after maybe a couple mins the idle drops down to under 1k? Well today i turned my car on and i wouldn't say it was necessarily "cold" because 4 hours prior i finished driving it 50 miles. but any how, when it fired up, the idle was rough, as usual since it was kinda "cold" well i thought id give it a little gas and bring the idle to 2k to just get it warmed up faster before i took off, well when i did it almost sounded like i has an exhaust leak. it sounded terrible. Then when i let off the gas the idle dropped to under 1k and it began to surge as if it wanted to die. After about 10 seconds of it surging it went to normal.

i drove it on the freeway, did a couple hard pulls, no lack of power, no check engine lights, no nothing...

sorry for the long story here, but is this something i should be concerned about????
No big deal fairly common with the m3 to have noises when cold or cool.

What year is your car ?

Also idle fluctuations can be caused by a bunch if stuff ie: cooling fans coming on or a large draw on power. Happens in most cars, get your battery and alternator checked Just in case
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I see... Yeah the car runs fine.

My car is an 09 with 19k miles. I'll put a volt meter to the car and just see what it's charging at.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
      05-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

I was seeing the exact same behavior a few days ago. I dropped it off at the dealer and they found a code for some solenoid which they said would cause a rough idle.

They swapped it out and it's been running great ever since.
      05-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbm3
I was seeing the exact same behavior a few days ago. I dropped it off at the dealer and they found a code for some solenoid which they said would cause a rough idle.

They swapped it out and it's been running great ever since.
Oh ok cool. I was hoping I wasn't the only one. I guess it won't hurt to drop it off at the dealer to see what they say.

Thanks for lookin out !