BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

06-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
ibd2328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Stabbed... a year ago today

Pictures are at the end..

For those of you all who don't personally know me;
I am 25 and teach freshman calculus/ low level math at WVU. I graduated from UVA in 2010, and took a teaching job in Morgantown, WV immediately after graduation. After about three months in Morgantown, I had made alot of friends and was fitting in with the new WV "culture" fairly well, until June 27, 2011.

It was the end of summer-1 and finals week at WVU, so after grading hundreds of exams I ventured out to have some drinks with some departmental members. After watching some college baseball and finishing a few beers, the departmental members and I decided to head back to the office. We then walked out of the sports bar and immediately saw two kids fighting/shoving. Hence, holding our status as "teachers" we felt obligated to break it up. I jump in between the two guys and one scurries away frantically. Next, I proceeded to ask the remaining kid what happened? As soon as I open my mouth, I catch a light shove from the individual.

And I am by no means a small guy, I actually look fairly intimidating. I took light notice of the shove and told the kid just to go home so no police report needs to be filed. The kid proceeded to take one step back (like he is walking away) and then took a swing at me and immediately ran off. Feeling no abrupt hit or pain, I turned around to walk back to the office with the staff. As I turn around I start to feet my shirt becoming wet, and thus sticking to me. I look down and I am standing in nothing but a puddle of red. I was wearing a white shirt, so you can imagine the state of shock I am in when I glace down.

At this point I really didn't feel any pain, but I could notice a very different feel on the left side of my neck. I then reach up to check my neck and my fingers literally feel my carotid artery.

Someone in the bar called 911 and i was rushed to the closest hospital. The individual had caught my throat with a box cutter, when I thought he was trying to punch me. My carotid artery (what takes blood to the brain) had been cut and my jugular had a 1mm gash in it. I was going in and out of consciousnesses while waiting on the ambulance. It was quite obviously I thought I was going to die, but had no control over it so I just continually prayed.

I was rushed to Ruby Memorial Hospital (West VA. University Hospital) where Dr. Lewis performed emergency surgery. It was a miracle... I woke up the next morning alive and well, no paralysis from the blood loss and no life threatening side effects.

Sorry to waste your time, just wanted to let everyone know how fragile life is and to enjoy and cherish ever minute of it.

This picture was before the accident and you can see my Carotid artery sticking out (pretty damn big artery). This was severed and I wont even get into how far blood is gushing/squirting.

That was a year ago, and the scar is barley visible today. The cut was dircetly in the crease of my neck so its hard to even tell I was cut, visually.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Wow. Glad you're ok after all.

What happened to the kid who stabbed you?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

WOW is right, you're lucky you didn't die from blood loss.

Did they catch the motherfucker?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

jeeze, that's horrible man. sorry you had to go through that, and your story makes me cringe. glad you're okay now though
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Wild story man.

I guess I've watched too many movies/believed what i've seen when people are cut in the neck.. I always figured it was incredibly painful/takes you down in a matter of like 10 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

that's fking nuts man, you are one lucky man! Best wishes your physical and mental healthy and recovery. Hard to imagine that happening.
      06-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Glad to hear it worked out.
I sure hope they caught that punk bitch and charged him with attempted murder.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
ibd2328
Private First Class
Rep

They actually caught the guy (a student at WVU), but he was released on bond a few hours after being brought in. We are still waiting on the trial, it is set for October. Just kind of weird to be working in a place where you could see the kid again and not even know it. The police here haven't been all that helpful.

My friend actually owns the bar we were watching the game at, so I got see what happened on his security camera. I had a hard time watching it again, and not to be a *sissy* but it scares to approach people with their hands in their pockets.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
NBK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bazinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
Wild story man.

I guess I've watched too many movies/believed what i've seen when people are cut in the neck.. I always figured it was incredibly painful/takes you down in a matter of like 10 seconds.
what should i have for lunch today?

thinking about going to that place that i got the turkey club from and getting a turkey club again and asking them to toast the bread.

think they will go for it????

op- touching story. glad you are doing well
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
ibd2328
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks to everyone for the condolence! I can also assure everyone, I value life much much more after that incident.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibd2328 View Post
They actually caught the guy (a student at WVU), but he was released on bond a few hours after being brought in. We are still waiting on the trial, it is set for October.
What are they charging him with?

Glad you have the sense to not take the law into your own hands, not so sure I'd be able to show that sort of restraint.

While they're taking him away, make sure to whisper to him that you'll take care of his family. Give him something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
ibd2328
Private First Class
Rep

haha yea, it's nothing like the movies tend to show.

This is literally what it looks like
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
ibd2328
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
What are they charging him with?

Glad you have the sense to not take the law into your own hands, not so sure I'd be able to show that sort of restraint.

While they're taking him away, make sure to whisper to him that you'll take care of his family. Give him something to think about.
They had initial charged him with Malicious Wounding- (WV law is 1-5yrs).
However, I told the prosecutor if the kid agreed to pay for medical bills (~40k), take anger management, and rehabilitation courses, I would not push the sentencing.

I believe in second chances, but only if he is willing to take responsibility and gradually progress towards being more responsible and mature. He will likely spend less than 2 years, assuming he takes the plea.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
However, I told the prosecutor if the kid agreed to pay for medical bills (~40k), take anger management, and rehabilitation courses, I would not push the sentencing.

I believe in second chances, but only if he is willing to take responsibility and gradually progress towards being more responsible and mature. He will likely spend less than 2 years, assuming he takes the plea.
I'm sorry you feel that way. IMHO, second chances are not for violent offenders who have committed the crime that you describe. He was trying to kill you.

Hopefully he doesn't actually kill someone after being given a second chance.

A bullet to the head is the only rehab he needs IMO, but the whole event has nothing to do with me, so my opinion is pretty worthless anyway. Congratulations on being a bigger man about all this; I can't even imagine how hard it must have been and still is.... In the end, you lived and kept the ability to function fully, so I guess that is what's really important.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:

wow glad you're ok man. you are a very forgiving man to be doing that. dont think alot of college kids are built for prison.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
dejansavic
Rep
Drives: E92

crazy! Get well soon pal!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

OMG. Glad your recovery went well.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
ibd2328
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks again, everyone!

I am doing just fine, I was actually back to normal life after about a month, however, psychologically it is hard for me to trust people and I tend to shy away from any type of conflict now.

As you would expect, I can't even look at a utility knife now without cringing or having flashbacks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

This makes me more cautious now. Definitely more cautious. Like you said, approaching people wih their hands in their pocket, might be very dangerous indeed. Wish you the best at a speedy recovery!
      06-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #20
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

something like this happened at a Halloween party a few years ago to my good friend aaron. kids were trying to find a person that was at the party however aaron told them he wasnt there and to please leave... one of the kids took out a box cutter and swung at aarons neck missing his main vein by millimeters thx god. ambulance was called and from what i was told everyone was a mess psychologically (i wasnt at the party i had hockey) glad to see ur ok, ur right life is to short to get caught up in things like this.. take a few self defense classes :P
Upgrades: <Cobb V3, DCI, BMS downpipes, ER charge pipe, Forge DV, bbs ch-r, 30%tint all around, bmw performance exhaust, umnitza V4 angel eyes>.....Next upgrades (I would like):intercooler, BBK, turbo upgrade....etc....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #21
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Thanks again, everyone!

I am doing just fine, I was actually back to normal life after about a month, however, psychologically it is hard for me to trust people and I tend to shy away from any type of conflict now.

As you would expect, I can't even look at a utility knife now without cringing or having flashbacks
happens quite often to people after a traumatic event like that... i've been through something similar and small things tend to set me off as well. hope things get better for you soon man
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #22
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

glad to hear you're doing well. i hope the feller that cut you rots gets what he deserves.
Appreciate 0