BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

TOYO Proxes 1

I am considering these tires Vredestein and possibly PS2s agian for my other set of rims. Have you guys heard much of the Toyos. I was told really good things about them today by my tire installer. He is also an authorized Vredestein dealer. Regarding V-reds he claims that since they are now own by Russia they are harder to acquire certian sizes for. Any creedence to his claims? He suggested the Toyo as a superior replacement to and for the PS2s.
      11-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Toyo's always made a good tire, but I can't comment on the newest Proxes. I have had the older versions and thought they were very good.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
erics02wrx
?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai357sig View Post
Any creedence to his claims? He suggested the Toyo as a superior replacement to and for the PS2s.
I ran a set of the Toyo T1R tires and have to say they are really good tires. I would not say that they are better than the PS2,s but at least on par with them. The PS2's have a better turn in feel were as the T1R's feel a little soft, a little more roll at turn in. However, the T1R's are way better in the rain and have a little better traction when the temperature drops a bit.
      12-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

My T1RS were complete garbage when I had them on my sti. Why no RE11's?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
e46zcp
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 Comp M3

Proxes 1

AudiS5, its no wonder you were disappointed in the T1R's on your STi, who would recommend you remove a RE70 Max Summer tire and replace it with anything less? You are comparing apples to oranges right off the bat...140 tread-wear to 280 for the Toyo isn't even a fair fight. Now if you compare the Toyo R1R we are talking a more accurate comparison. I seem to recall the Toyo's sweeping the podium of the SCCA National Autocross runoffs for 2 years in a row now. But to the Proxes 1's a guy at the Porsche DE event had a set and said they were noticeably better than his PS2's in every category. The PS2 has been around for almost 7 years now...it isn't that inconceivable that a reputable manufacturer isn't able to produce a superior product. Look at our own beloved ///M Division
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
e46zcp
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 Comp M3

Seems like some of the Porsche folks have had some more seat time the Proxes 1, here is what they had to say based on a comparison to R-Compound MPSC's.

"Overall, I put about 1200 miles on the tires and they have really good qualities. Road noise is lowered significantly, ride is significantly smoother compared to MPSCs, probably in-line to PS2s as I remember from few years ago that I used them last. The wet handling is really good, almost impressive (I say "almost" because I only driven them on two rainy days, so not enough time yet). In the wet, the straight line tracking is perfect, corners very well and braking is on par, at least, to many A/S tires. Tramlining is nearly non-existent in the dry or wet.

When they were put on (MPSCs were taken out) and I left the dealership, I immediately noticed 3 things:

* Turn in was noticeably less sharper compared to MPSCs
* There is also less road noise coming into the cabin
* Ride is significantly smoother

I have been driving the car in frigid dry, wet, snow flurry conditions on back roads, interstates and what ever I can find, the tires are gripping very well, especially in the wet. Under DD conditions, I cannot find a fault with the tires thus far compared to the MPSCs or the Bridgy 050As (I haven't tried RE-11s).

I am especially pleased with the cold weather grip (most days have been right around 32 deg or below) as most max perf summer tires won't do too well in these conditions; however, these tires are doing very well.

During off/on interstate ramps, the initial turn-in is not as sharp as I mentioned, but as soon as the car settles on the outside, the tires do grip very well under power; I haven't tried to approach the limits yet under the slippery conditions of course on the street. Also, quick lane changes right/left/right are without drama thus far."
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
49ER ROLL
///Mmm
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 SG

Love Toyos...have am on all 4 of our cars. From the STS to T1Rs...Haven't used any other brand since 1998.
Appreciate 0