BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

03-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #265
likestogofast
Old Fart
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT... My Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Do you really believe that? I could have driven when I was 8, it is not complex or too difficult for the brain to handle, the issue is the maturity in driving responsibly. There are kids in karts who can out drive most adults.

Why does every person under 21 here think they are a great driver? Anyone read the story of the kid on M5board who said he was a great driver? What happened? Ended up flying his dads M5 off a runway and killing 3 of his friends along with himself.
Operating the controls of an automobile to make it move was not the point. You could train a chimpanze to do that. Driving around a controlled environment with a group of individuals who all have the same goal was not the point either.

The point is... take your everyday driving situation. 1) you have to operate the car (easy), 2) you have to navigate (easy), 3) obeythe rules of the road, within reason (easy)... now take an unlimited number of every changing varibles and throw them at the driver. On a normal day this is not a problem for anyone, including a 16 year old. But throw in a non-normal event, there is a chain reaction of events that are all unknown. They add up fast and the human brain can only handle so many task before it shuts down, call this a dumb attack or a brain fart. This happens so much easier and with less tasks in a brain that is under 20 years of age, than one thats older.

Your average person can process about 7 events at one givin moment. Back in the 70's when fighter jets were fast and not to controlled by computers, the F4 Phantom for example. A pilot traveling at 1800 mph, thats moving across the ground at about 1/2 a mile a second. He had to fly, navigate, track targets, evade attacks, and launch weapons... to stay alive the pilot had to perfom 8 plus brain events. It took many months of training to get a pilot up to par, and this was after a very selective process to weed out the normal people.

I dont know if my above statement has any impact here, but people who are alot smarter in these matters than most of us have figured this out many years ago.

One more point, if you think you are a better driver then your fellow drivers on the road, then most likely your brain is to full of itself to be able to handle all of those unknowns mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #266
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Your welcome.

Quote:
Do you really believe that? I could have driven when I was 8, it is not complex or too difficult for the brain to handle, the issue is the maturity in driving responsibly. There are kids in karts who can out drive most adults.

Why does every person under 21 here think they are a great driver? Anyone read the story of the kid on M5board who said he was a great driver? What happened? Ended up flying his dads M5 off a runway and killing 4 of his friends along with himself.
Fixed.

And I couldn't agree more with your comments.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #267
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

VEry nice congrats,and happy birthday.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #268
maaicher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:

Why does every person under 21 here think they are a great driver? Anyone read the story of the kid on M5board who said he was a great driver? What happened? Ended up flying his dads M5 off a runway and killing 3 of his friends along with himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
I was always under the assumption (and looking back, seems like truth) that its not that a 16 y/o cant go through the motions, but can't accurately assess and comprehend risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by likestogofast View Post
Operating the controls of an automobile to make it move was not the point. You could train a chimpanze to do that. Driving around a controlled environment with a group of individuals who all have the same goal was not the point either.

The point is... take your everyday driving situation. 1) you have to operate the car (easy), 2) you have to navigate (easy), 3) obeythe rules of the road, within reason (easy)... now take an unlimited number of every changing varibles and throw them at the driver. On a normal day this is not a problem for anyone, including a 16 year old. But throw in a non-normal event, there is a chain reaction of events that are all unknown. They add up fast and the human brain can only handle so many task before it shuts down, call this a dumb attack or a brain fart. This happens so much easier and with less tasks in a brain that is under 20 years of age, than one thats older.

Your average person can process about 7 events at one givin moment. Back in the 70's when fighter jets were fast and not to controlled by computers, the F4 Phantom for example. A pilot traveling at 1800 mph, thats moving across the ground at about 1/2 a mile a second. He had to fly, navigate, track targets, evade attacks, and launch weapons... to stay alive the pilot had to perfom 8 plus brain events. It took many months of training to get a pilot up to par, and this was after a very selective process to weed out the normal people.

I dont know if my above statement has any impact here, but people who are alot smarter in these matters than most of us have figured this out many years ago.

One more point, if you think you are a better driver then your fellow drivers on the road, then most likely your brain is to full of itself to be able to handle all of those unknowns mentioned above.
Please do not generalize like this you guys. yes there are younger guys that are full of it and think they are the shit and the best driver in the world, but there are other younger guys who arent those normal cocky bastards. I myself am a younger guy, i dont even think i should have an m3 at my age. Giving a young kid a sports car is like throwing gas in a fire. And the comment about the lack of reflex and ability to asses risk is pretty bogus. I started racing motocross at a young age and this takes alot of awareness and ability to assess situations while your flying through the air at the same time inches away from another flying 230lbs machine. Some of us younger guys have actually zare very capable, not saying we are the best, i beleive that there is always room for improvement in everyones skill even if your a top pro driver. Yes i am rambling right now and yes what i am saying may not make sense im just typing the first thoughts that come into my head. if you read the first sentence of this post you actually got the whole point of this post...lol...dont generalize there are exceptions. and for those of you who actually read my whole post i pity your for having to sit through my senseless ramble...haha

in conclusion...

generalization = bad
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #269
NugeMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E90)

Young or old, just don't be a douche about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #270
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Be ready for haterz galore

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #271
Splinter4784
414 little horsies
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

wow, seriously

he got an M, be happy for him
      03-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #272
Labrada_Exoticz
Subscribed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter4784 View Post
wow, seriously

he got an M, be happy for him
+10
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #273
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by knext21 View Post
+10

I think the consensus is, dude, that's awesome.
Now, don't go and die in it, or worse, kill someone else with it.

It's a part of getting older I guess. Now everyone who's 25 and under I pretty much consider a child. There are always exceptions. Isn't that the rule? Or does it prove the rule?

Last edited by farbarg; 03-05-2009 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #274
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
This thread is still alive? MODs lock this thread before it gets even more lame.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #275
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
This thread is still alive? MODs lock this thread before it gets even more lame.
+1. I feel sorry for this forum when I see one of these threads.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #276
codykerst
The New Guy!
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Space Grey on Black

Congrats man!!!
09 White on Black Bugatti Veyron - Next in Line!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #277
VoiceOfReason
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Congrats on the car. It certainly beats the car I got when I was 16 (and considered myself incredibly lucky just to have my parents be able to give me a car).

Can't at all blame you for wanting an M3, we obviously are all fans and owners of the car here.

I can however say that I think your parents have shown a rank amount of irresponsibility in actually purchasing it for you. They really should know better and if anything should happen to you or others as a result of your actions I think they should be held accountable.

Your age has nothing to do with it. The fact that you are an inexperienced driver does.

Lets face it, the current World Champion Formula 1 driver is in his very early twenties and was driving at the top of his class long before that. So obviously younger drivers are just as capable. The difference is that they've been in a car since they were 9. It sounds like you haven't and I think that's what has some people so wound up.

If they're wound up about anything else it's probably jealousy because, after all, no one likes to see stuff just handed to people (even if they're of means themselves).

I'm sure your responsible and hope that you continue to be with your new car. Enjoy it, but please be careful and focus on your skills as a new driver.

Drive safe!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #278
CSL-Fanatik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e46 M3 CSL

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm just gonna tag along....

I got my first motorcycle at 16, a 125 cc Yahama. One year later, it was followed by a 600 cc. When I was 16, I started driving an e46 M3 (although not my onw), at 18, I drove first supercars; Noble M400... Now, I'm in my 20s and own my own e92 M3, and I am happy to report, not a single accident, and only stupid tickets (rolling through stop-signs, not using blinker...).

Not all teenagers who have access to sports cars go crazy and drive outrageous. Some people also manage to stay humble, and don't show off. And beyond all of this, I have driven many years in Germany (where I got my driver's license), and was already 150 mph at 18.

Don't flame this guy. Be happy for him, he's part of the ///M family. Only judge, if you will, after the fact. Unless he does 60 mph in a school zone, why not just be happy for him?

Best regards,

CSL
      03-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #279
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
It just did!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #280
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

Dude you better be getting laid.. Man if I had that in high school I would be in the back seat between classes.

Let your friends drive it. They will love it.
      03-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #281
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
Dude you better be getting laid.. Man if I had that in high school I would be in the back seat between classes.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #282
Jared@ACGsandiego
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

i cant blame the kid. i asked for a sweet car when i was 16. i didnt get it but i definately asked for a nice car. thats cool that you got it, like everyone said, just be safe!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #283
RCKe90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 (soon)

Has the OP replied even once to this thread?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #284
BMWxM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 AW/BB DCT '10

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKe90 View Post
Has the OP replied even once to this thread?
haha sorry.. i thought this thread was done like 2 weeks ago..but i guess not!

Guys thanks for all the comments, and i know not to be a prick about having the car..no worries there. The past coule weeks i have spent just about every moment i can in the car! haah.. i even studied for a test in it! i still really cant believe that i got the car haha. Anyway i know i have to be safe..and i promised i wont drive reclously. I think i got that out of my system with dirtbikes and quads. So i do have some experience with motor skills, not saying im experienced with cars.

But anyway, thanks for everything...and we only have 4.5 minutes between classes

(washed and waxed the car today..figred id put up a few pics)
Attached Images

----2008 SSII e90 M3 6MT-----GONE
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #285
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
niicee
hows ur insurance?
man i get so much shit for getting a 335 as my 16th bday present and as a first car..
if i got an m3 someone would probably try to kill me or something
      03-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #286
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Time to switch out the orange reflectors.