BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

...And 10 *More* Things I did not know about my M3...

...and here are 10 more things I wasn't aware of before I bought the car.

Ten years of bimmers, I'm on my sixth roundel-equipped car, but first M-vehicle. I'm sure you guys know this, but despite all the research I did, I still didn't know all this stuff:

11 The hood on an M3 is very light. I was checking the PS reservoir and water during the weekly wash, and didn't allow the hood to shut firmly. Got on I-75 N here in Atlanta and the hood was vibrating because it was not secure. Yikes! Latch the hood securely.

12 The front end scrapes. Well, yeah, but I've had to change my commute due to a sharp bend/dip on a local road. Ouch!

13 The under glove box outlet is not connected, at least on my 09. My '11 E90 has a functional glove box outlet, but peering under the dash, I can see the plastic core molded as part of the fitment, but no wires or feed to this area. I guess it was part of the transition process in '10? It's very useful on my '11, I plug the phone in there on long trips. Be nice to get that working at some point.

14 The parked car ventilation feature. That looks useful, I wasn't aware it could do that. Lesson:

15 No spare/M mobility kit. Ok, well, obviously, but it's a little startling to realize that that little compressor and can of sealant is about all that stands between the side of the road and you moving forward. I'll have to try the compressor some time to make sure it works.

16 The redline function of temp. This is very neat, allows the redline to rise as the oil temperature goes up.

17 Car has an oil temperature gauge. Yess!! Just like the old days.

18 Car is noisy, noisier than my ZHP M54 with 100K miles/worn VANOS. This bothered me a little at first, but I just enjoy it now. Besides, if I rev it more, I can't hear the valve train lol.

19 There are no fog lights, either front or rear. Guess this is a weight saving measure? I have always found it odd Bimmers do not have rear fog lights, but got used to it. The fronts are somewhat useful on my E90, but I don't miss them a whole lot, I guess.

20 The visibility in the coupe is excellent. I mean, really excellent. I was a little surprised how easy it is to see out of, compared to the sedan (been driving sedans for years.) Even as low as the car is compared to the typical Trucks and SUVs I end up parking/driving near, it still is easy to see out of.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
#19 we do have rear fog lights, check the DIY section for the mod.....

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
#19 we do have rear fog lights, check the DIY section for the mod.....
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531296
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuespeedgti View Post
That's awesome, thanks.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
13 The under glove box outlet is not connected, at least on my 09. My '11 E90 has a functional glove box outlet, but peering under the dash, I can see the plastic core molded as part of the fitment, but no wires or feed to this area. I guess it was part of the transition process in '10? It's very useful on my '11, I plug the phone in there on long trips. Be nice to get that working at some point.
This works in my car, and I have an '09...

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
tico1028
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 - MG

Quote:
20 The visibility in the coupe is excellent. I mean, really excellent. I was a little surprised how easy it is to see out of, compared to the sedan (been driving sedans for years.) Even as low as the car is compared to the typical Trucks and SUVs I end up parking/driving near, it still is easy to see out of.
So true. I was impressed with visibility when I first got my E92 as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
No cig lighter under my glove box, only the hole for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I M STIG View Post
This works in my car, and I have an '09...
Does not work on mine (2012). But it was one device I tried, and it might be that the length of the lighter-cylinder on the radar detector is too short...seems to just catch the corner of the under-glove-box edge. I don't have anything else that uses a cigarette lighter plug, but you might want to try something with a longer cylinder and see if that makes a difference.

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

# 21 - makes my peepee hard at WOT
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
SGMe90
tuningtechfs tuned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SGM e90 M3, 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman
+1
      05-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
gross.. its much more romantic than that
      05-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Yellow/Red gauge on Tac which changes as car warms up is pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
BeamingE39
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slower than I'd like

I would've thought for sure the e90 would have much better visibility, another reason to get e92!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 / '11 X5d

#22 you can send sat nav destinations to your car from your PC via Google/BMW Connected Drive (not M3 specific, but still, pretty cool...)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
Does not work on mine (2012). But it was one device I tried, and it might be that the length of the lighter-cylinder on the radar detector is too short...seems to just catch the corner of the under-glove-box edge. I don't have anything else that uses a cigarette lighter plug, but you might want to try something with a longer cylinder and see if that makes a difference.

Woops... I'm thinking of the the USB port IN the glovebox. I use it to plug my iPhone in to whenever it's low on battery. I thought that's what he was talking about at first.

Edit: I just checked my car... Where is this mysterious extra unit? I couldn't fit it in or under my glovebox.

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com

Last edited by I M STIG; 05-22-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I M STIG View Post
Edit: I just checked my car... Where is this mysterious extra unit? I couldn't fit it in or under my glovebox.
On my 11 E90, it's just left/inboard of the glove box, tucked underneath. Very easy to miss.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJA///M3 View Post
#22 you can send sat nav destinations to your car from your PC via Google/BMW Connected Drive (not M3 specific, but still, pretty cool...)
Not only that, you can also custom map your preferred route and send it to your vehicle. Great for driving holidays where the route is just as important as the destination.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
electronspeeder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 BMW M3

#23 - If you have DCT, it can automatically kick down to the lowest possible gear if you hold the downshift paddle and press the gas pedal all the way down past the detent. Great for skipping gears to downshift for passing on the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronspeeder View Post
#23 - If you have DCT, it can automatically kick down to the lowest possible gear if you hold the downshift paddle and press the gas pedal all the way down past the detent. Great for skipping gears to downshift for passing on the freeway.
Actually the correct sequence is to be in sequential mode, depress kick-down and then pull the downshift pedal.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
RoyBratten
Rep
Drives: volvo

I would've thought for sure the e90 would have much better visibility
      05-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #21
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
...and here are 10 more things I wasn't aware of before I bought the car.

Ten years of bimmers, I'm on my sixth roundel-equipped car, but first M-vehicle. I'm sure you guys know this, but despite all the research I did, I still didn't know all this stuff:

11 The hood on an M3 is very light. I was checking the PS reservoir and water during the weekly wash, and didn't allow the hood to shut firmly. Got on I-75 N here in Atlanta and the hood was vibrating because it was not secure. Yikes! Latch the hood securely.

12 The front end scrapes. Well, yeah, but I've had to change my commute due to a sharp bend/dip on a local road. Ouch!

14 The parked car ventilation feature. That looks useful, I wasn't aware it could do that. Lesson:

15 No spare/M mobility kit. Ok, well, obviously, but it's a little startling to realize that that little compressor and can of sealant is about all that stands between the side of the road and you moving forward. I'll have to try the compressor some time to make sure it works.

16 The redline function of temp. This is very neat, allows the redline to rise as the oil temperature goes up.

17 Car has an oil temperature gauge. Yess!! Just like the old days.

18 Car is noisy, noisier than my ZHP M54 with 100K miles/worn VANOS. This bothered me a little at first, but I just enjoy it now. Besides, if I rev it more, I can't hear the valve train lol.

19 There are no fog lights, either front or rear. Guess this is a weight saving measure? I have always found it odd Bimmers do not have rear fog lights, but got used to it. The fronts are somewhat useful on my E90, but I don't miss them a whole lot, I guess.

19 - the reason no front "fog" lights because the area where they are found on series production cars must be open for ducting on the driver side for intake of air. Our cars eat an ungodly amount of air at higher rpms.

The lack of fog lights on the front is very funtional, and is this way for all current ///M models.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #22
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Actually the correct sequence is to be in sequential mode, depress kick-down and then pull the downshift pedal.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0