BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #89
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoc11 View Post
Do you have a number we can relate to? you know how it is at some dealers
+1, my appointment is tomorrow. I really want to update because it helps. It will also help having your "ducks in a row". Thanks again BMWM.D.!
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 03:35 AM   #90
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Many

Updated SI B 28 07 08

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B12 55 06 dated January 2009.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
M3 with M DCT - Complaint of Delayed Throttle Response

MODEL
E90, E92, E93 with S65 and M DCT transmission up to 04/09 production

SITUATION
The customer may complain about delayed throttle response when reaccelerating after a series of downshifts during heavy deceleration (hard braking). This condition is experienced when the transmission is in D or S mode, with the Drivelogic program selected to three or less bars.

No acceleration delay is experienced when the vehicle is driven in the M manual mode.

INFORMATION
During a "rolling stop" situation, which is followed by heavy acceleration demand, the transmission goes through the series of downshifts in order to match the appropriate gear with the high load signal.

The short time period necessary to perform the multiple downshifts may create the perception of "throttle delay". In reality, it is a design characteristic and normal behavior for the M DCT transmission when operated in D or S mode, rather then a malfunction or deficiency.

Due to the ongoing quality optimization process, the newest version of the M DCT software provides additional improvements to the transmission drivability, resulting in further reduction of shifting time and engine torque application.

To significantly improve the throttle response (or to reduce "throttle lag"), reprogram the vehicle with the current ISTA/P version (target integration E089-09-03-510 or higher, introduced in ISTA/P 2.33.1).

In order to completely eliminate the delay sensation, as described above, the customer needs to operate the M DCT in the manual mode (paddle or gear lever manual shifting).

Explain the M DCT's operating behavior, as described above, to the customer.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Certified Pre-Owned Program.

Funny how we now have a D,S and Manual Mode in our cars. Do we have to pay for the extra feature or is that complimentary?

"This condition is experienced when the transmission is in D or S"

"No acceleration delay is experienced when the vehicle is driven in the M manual mode"
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 05:04 AM   #91
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

i definately experience lag in the D mode when slowing down into a turn and then accelerating out of it onto a straight away. my other problem is at a start in Dmode with the power button on the car starts jerking back and forth like someone whos never shifted before. it appears it cant handle the power. when i want a fast start of the line its better to be in paddle mode with the power button on the car handles much better. i dont know if there is a software solution for this.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #92
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

I have the lag regardless of the mode I'm in and it happens at every intersection unless I either come to a complete stop for a sec or so or downshift to first 2-3 secs before I want to go again. Major PITA - so I'm looking forward to this update. Thanks to all for running this to ground!

BC
      07-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #93
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

Does anybody know when this new software was released?

My car was built late April 2009 so it is fairly new.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #94
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin316 View Post
According to the bulletin only cars built 4/09 and earlier need the update. So you should not require it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #95
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Does anybody know when this new software was released?

Does your car have the Lag?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #96
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramsen View Post
Does your car have the Lag?
car is still breaking in so I have been gentle with the transmission.... no hard stops and getting on the gas right after so far. Maybe i'll test it out first then.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #97
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
car is still breaking in so I have been gentle with the transmission.... no hard stops and getting on the gas right after so far. Maybe i'll test it out first then.
Forget the hard breaking that is just BMW BS. The lag is normally experienced when rolling for a stop or a slow down like going into a roundabout or exiting one.

What you will feel(With software newer then 2.32.1) if you have the lag is that you apply throttle,the RPMs spins up(2300-2900RPMs) but the car does not move until it suddenly jumps forward and in most cases only when turning. Pre 2.33.1 the lag is different but since your car is from may it should have at least 2.33.2 and fit the above description if everything else is the same hardware wise.

Did you ever experience something similar to this description?

I would say based on my experience with 2.33.1 and a 06/08 car that you should experience the lag more often during break-in then after.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #98
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramsen View Post
Forget the hard breaking that is just BMW BS. The lag is normally experienced when rolling for a stop or a slow down like going into a roundabout or exiting one.

What you will feel(With software newer then 2.32.1) if you have the lag is that you apply throttle,the RPMs spins up(2300-2900RPMs) but does not move until it suddenly jumps forward. Pre 2.33.1 the lag is different but since your car is from may it should have at least 2.33.2 and fit the above description if everything else is the same hardware wise.

Did you ever experience something similar to this description?
The first one you described is the closest to what i've felt in the car.... the RPM does spin up before the car moves again... i wouldn't describe it as a jump though.

Oh well, i'll play more with the car today and i'll have BMW check to see if I have the newest software when I get the 1200 mile service.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #99
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

My car is at BMWM.D.s dealeship as we speak getting updated. He will be doing the work himself. I will report back tonight after a little driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #100
carri0n m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5M

how do you figure out when your car was produced? I picked mine up in Munich on May 13, 2009
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #101
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShErM m3 View Post
how do you figure out when your car was produced? I picked mine up in Munich on May 13, 2009
Just look at the sticker in the door jamb! It provides your cars Birthday.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #102
05SCM33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Or go here and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN in the first box and hit search . . . .

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #103
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Have an appt on Friday for the update.

One question though - does using S6 reduce or eliminate the lag? I tried it for a little bit on the way home and it seemed better.

Thanks!
BC
      07-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #104
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

swamp, did you get the update installed? If so, what are your observations?

Ditto that for Adonislike.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #105
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Updated Software by BMWM.D. Today at SB BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

Ditto that for Adonislike.
I went to the Santa Barbara dealership today and it turned out to be an entire re-programming, which took about 4 hours or so. My lag was getting progressively worse, the last 2 weeks especially bad.

I drove it home, which is about 30 miles, and noticed LITTLE TO NO LAG in the downshifts. I drove it in both D Mode as well as M Drive. I drove it hard and tried to replicate it multiple times in different scenarios and could not. I really could tell the difference between when I took it in to when I brought it home. I will give it another week or so of driving to determine if it was truly fixed, but so far so good.

I did not have the hose replaced as swamp and others discussed in another thread. That isnt to say that I wont, it just may be that I do not need too. We shall see.

Last edited by Adonislike; 07-02-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #106
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonislike View Post
I went to the Santa Barbara dealership today and it turned out to be an entire re-programming, which took about 4 hours or so. My lag was getting progressively worse, the last 2 weeks especially bad.

I drove it home, which is about 30 miles, and noticed LITTLE TO NO LAG in the downshifts. I drove it in both D Mode as well as M Drive I drove it hard and tried to replicate it multiple times in different scenarios and could not. I really could tell the difference between when I took it in to when I brought it home. I will give it another week or so of driving to determine if it was truly fixed, but so far so good.

I did not have the hose replaced as swamp and others discussed in another thread. That isnt to say that I wont, it just may be that I do not need too. We shall see.
Good to hear. Did you get the hose done too?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #107
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

lol, aus, read his last paragraph

Thanks for the report, Ad. Hopefully the lag is truly gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #108
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Ugh, car has now been in for over 24 hours. The upload failed part way through last night. They restarted it today. The shop foreman is working on it. I think I'll get the car back at the end of the day. If it ain't one thing it's another. At least I have a really sweet Ford Focus in the mean time...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #109
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Ugh, car has now been in for over 24 hours. The upload failed part way through last night. They restarted it today. The shop foreman is working on it. I think I'll get the car back at the end of the day. If it ain't one thing it's another. At least I have a really sweet Ford Focus in the mean time...
Ford Focus
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #110
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6Rman View Post
I called my BMW dealer today again asking to update my car to the latest software and I was told again, "If there is no error code we will not update the car's software. If you want to pay for it we can do it" what BS!. I think I paid enough for the car to get service when I decide I need it and when it is available.

I want my car - like my computers - to be updated to the latest software when available.

I have no idea what to do. I am just upset now.
What dealer? I think you need to go in and show them the paperowork.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0