BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

Taxes Tomorrow. Good Day = F30 soon

Not really anything too profound here, I'm just excited and nervous. I have a lot of write-offs this year, and I refinanced my house and bought the wife a new CR-V in 2012. I'm hoping when my tax lady comes over tomorrow, it winds up being very good news. I have heard varying reports of what to expect back from those two things, but hopefully I'll see what it winds up being.
If I get a good return, I can put in my order for an F30 and try and time it to get it in mid-late April.

Planned build:
328i M Sport
Estoril Blue II
Style 400M with Performance Tires
Black Leatherette
Aluminum Trim with Estoril Accents
Sport Auto w/ Paddles
Tech Package
Lighting Package
Harmon Kardon Sound
Anti-Theft Alarm
M Performance CF Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

I haven't received money back for my taxes in 7 years..
I hate tax time
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ
I haven't received money back for my taxes in 7 years..
I hate tax time
That's good! I'd rather not get anything then let the government have a tax free loan at my expense... Sure beats owing them money!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

why not get the 335? it includes the alarm and lighting package, would cost about 1800 more
      02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Probably should tap the brakes on getting the car if you're relying on a tax refund to finance it. Remember, tax refunds aren't a good thing in most cases...

Also scary you need your "tax lady" to give you the good news and you sound like you have no earthly idea what the number will be.

I pretty much know exactly what I'll owe before I even start.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
why not get the 335? it includes the alarm and lighting package, would cost about 1800 more
Similarly equipped, it's $4350 more.
I don't need the 335i though. Wouldn't mind one, but don't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Probably should tap the brakes on getting the car if you're relying on a tax refund to finance it. Remember, tax refunds aren't a good thing in most cases...

Also scary you need your "tax lady" to give you the good news and you sound like you have no earthly idea what the number will be.

I have never owed. I wind up getting a good refund every year. Everyone I work with is the same way, save a few guys who have jumped tax brackets due to having second jobs.
I know the minimum I'll get, but I don't know what I'll get from the refi and the other car purchase. That's where the uncertainty is. I don't know the first thing about doing taxes since I have a tax lady for that. I always wind up paying out a lot more in taxes throughout the year, and every tax season is like Christmas for us (myself and my coworkers).
I can get the car whenever I want, but a better return means I can get it with a lot lower payment. I want a lower payment, and I'd prefer to not have to wait until summer to get the same payment. My current 2003 Mazda beater car that I intentionally drove into the ground is on it's last leg, and I'm not sure it'll hold out until summer. There are squeaks, rattles and grinding noises that I can't identify, and the car is rusting out at 170k salt-pounded miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

If you have a CPA, and you consistently get a material return, you are being robbed. Does your CPA drive a Ferrari?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep

She does my taxes and she's my wife's second cousin, and we don't pay much for it. The tax setup I have is the exact same as every other person I work with in my same situation (married, no kids, homeowner), and their returns are similar to mine. It's easy, and I honestly don't care about being any more involved than handing her a folder full of receipts and paperwork and waiting 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Hahaha I'm self employed, single, no kids etc... I wish I didn't get a refund and owed nothing.. Hahaha lucky you!
      02-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep

I used to work as a construction sub-contractor in my younger days. Hated dealing with taxes because it was a family business and nothing got taken out. Then and again, I also hated working construction.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #11
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

i haven't gotten a refund in nearly 10 yrs (since i went off w2). though i haven't paid a whole lot either since.

my cpa is a badass
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
wv128bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 space grey on red

I am a financial planner and can not get it through my clients head. A tax return is nothing but their money that the government held all year. Why do people still insist on a refund.

Lets put this as simple as possible. If you are not writing a check on April 15th then you messed up!!!!! ( I have a few clients that have changed - one actually last year came $20 from owing a penalty- my hero).

Op ask your tax lady how to change your with holdings to the correct amount. Then bank the difference every paycheck. At the end of the year you will have your refund PLUS interest BEFORE you do your taxes.
      02-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
Cyrax91
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv128bmw View Post
I am a financial planner and can not get it through my clients head. A tax return is nothing but their money that the government held all year. Why do people still insist on a refund.

Lets put this as simple as possible. If you are not writing a check on April 15th then you messed up!!!!! ( I have a few clients that have changed - one actually last year came $20 from owing a penalty- my hero).

Op ask your tax lady how to change your with holdings to the correct amount. Then bank the difference every paycheck. At the end of the year you will have your refund PLUS interest BEFORE you do your taxes.
Im a CPA and I totally understand your thought process. I do friends tax returns and they enjoy getting a few grand at tax time. Theyve tried it the other way, but put the money away for a bit then end up spending it because the difference is so minor month to month. Its obvious that if you can be responsible and put the money away the benefit is in withholding less and trying to minimize tax paid/refund at year-end. But if you enjoy spending money and cant get the benefit of the interest etc then it doesnt make a difference what you do ha. All depends on spending it over time or taking the bigger refund and throwing it all on BLACK !
      02-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

i hate all you jerks getting refunds......

do me a favor and eat anthrax....

thanks.....
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
i hate all you jerks getting refunds......

do me a favor and eat anthrax....

thanks.....
This!!

Every year I owe money to the government!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:

I'm going to put this as simple as possible.... MOST people don't live on a budget. Money left over (if any) after paying the bills is spent as discretionary income. If there is none left over, they will use CCs as their discretionary income.
      02-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
goalieman24
Rep
Drives: S4, 335i shopping

Quote:

I am as well, and completely agree.

Change the tax withholding around so that more is coming in every paycheck instead of getting that lump sum many months later. Having more every paycheck will more likely get used for things with a purpose, like making bigger payments towards outstanding debts. But instead, people get that refund check and have the mentality that it wasn't theirs to begin with and go out and buy that big screen TV or some other unnecessary splurge... while still paying 10+ percent on that credit card balance.

After all, one of the most basic principles of finance is 'money received now is worth more than money later'.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #18
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedo302 View Post
Not really anything too profound here, I'm just excited and nervous. I have a lot of write-offs this year, and I refinanced my house...
If you refinanced with lower %, your deduction will be lower, so if anything it reduces your refund... unless you paid points, of course.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
If you refinanced with lower %, your deduction will be lower, so if anything it reduces your refund... unless you paid points, of course.
Yep. Re fiance means your refund will be lower unless u paid points. What kind of write off's? Are you W-2 or business? W-2 write off's are limited if you don't know.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post

That's because maybe you are an accountant? Most of the common people have little to no idea when it comes to tax time.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #21
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman24 View Post
I am as well, and completely agree.

Change the tax withholding around so that more is coming in every paycheck instead of getting that lump sum many months later. Having more every paycheck will more likely get used for things with a purpose, like making bigger payments towards outstanding debts. But instead, people get that refund check and have the mentality that it wasn't theirs to begin with and go out and buy that big screen TV or some other unnecessary splurge... while still paying 10+ percent on that credit card balance.

After all, one of the most basic principles of finance is 'money received now is worth more than money later'.
Good/Bad advice. If you have a bigger paycheck, you will spend more. If you get a nice refund around tax time, you can use it towards much better things (unless how suggested by you, if you have credit card debt, bigger paycheck is better). However, my own pay stub is perfectly executed so I owe nothing and get nothing during tax time. You can do this but if you can't control your monthly expenses, do 0 exemptions so have something coming back!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #22
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep

BTW - Good luck on the car
Appreciate 0