BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

01-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
mattk543
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Hello,

This is basically my first post here. I just recently purchased a 2008 M3 Sedan, Manual in Jerez Black, on black with only 34k Miles on it from a private party. I used to detail 5-6 years ago, so this was my first project in a while. My previous car was an M235i lease.

Being that I own this car I wanted to bring back this car as best as I could in 1 day. I was not going for a show car complete correction because after all it is 9 years old and my daily driver.

To be honest I was on a mission since I was using my dealerships (where I work) storage space. Sorry I didn't get side by side correction shots during the process. I will try to find some before pictures if I have any.

My tools.
- Flex XC3401 with hydro tech pads
- Pinnacle ultra poly clay
- Wolfgang Uber Compound 3.0
- Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
- Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
- Wolfgang Detail spray
- Variety of high quality microfiber from auto geek

My Process is simple but effective for a mini correction

-Wash
-Clay bar
-Wipe down
-Tape off all sensitive trim and rubber
- Compound
- Wipe down
- Polish
- Clean panels with isopropyl
- Apply Sealant and let set
- Remove Sealant
- Wipe car down with detail spray x2

I also carefully compound + polished the black center window trim which had scratches from the previous owner. And removed the rear license plate frame and Bracket to polish underneath there too.

I did not attack the front bumper besides a coat of sealant because it's being taken off to be repainted sometime soon to have the license plate removed and side markers done.

Time spent was about 6 hours.

I am pretty happy with the results. I will apply another coat of sealant soon. Love the Wolfgang product line, very easy to use.

I did not post front shots because of the front bumper needing to be done.

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

That looks great!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
I have a 2008 Jerez black coupe and wonder if you anticipate using the touch-up paint? This is a challenging color but despite the 85,000 original miles and lack of consistent care it looks good. You've inspired me to take it to a pro for some real care, though it has some tiny chips of paint needing repair--I've been leary of this part....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
mattk543
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

wanesso

I do recommend having a process similar to this done. You will be happier with your car no doubt. I would make sure they use a similar tool like the flex or rupes which is not a rotary polisher that leaves hologram swirls.

There are a few major chips around the car on the door, rockers and hood that I plan on attacking. Front bumper is beyond repair with a polisher so I will have it repainted not a big deal.
Appreciate 0