BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

01-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #23
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 335xiE92

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Wut?

The Corvette is the easier machine to work on at home.
This is not the same as saying that Corvettes are more reliable; I think they're less reliable than Porsche.

Haven't you heard that old saw about Porsche and other higher-end marques?

Audi--repair daily.
Mercedes--boring and repair daily.
Ferrari--comes with its own mechanic.
Porsche--reliable, but you'll need to lift the engine out to change the spark plugs. Bring your bank account with you.
What i meant was that P car would cost a shitload more than Vettes when it comes to repairing it. So newer P car and older vettes will make more sense to me in the future run. But for the budget i would go with the vette thinking the P car will cost alot more.

I never really had a REAL p car but i had a Boxster two cars before my 335 and the tranny went out one day wouldnt shift to last gear and never got back to working propertly even after fixing numerous times and after the warranty was gone it was costing me a ton just because it was a Porsche branded and i had very little knowledge about cars than. And in other hand when i had a GTO w 120k miles and had problems which i never did except for some brake and clutch issues but i could've brought it to any shop and get it fixed for cheap since it wasnt so sensitive and high branded. Just my expeiernce with two brands.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #24
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

based on your posts OP, I would look into a used LS3 vette, you wont be unhappy.
      01-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #25
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

how about a used e46 m3? excellent used example can be had in your price range and I think it looks better than those old 911 or corvette. not too bad maintenance wise and surprising reliable. mine has zero mechanical issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #26
MiscExpense
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez

If you are looking for "Bang for Buck" 07-09 Z06 you won’t be disappointed with performance, but unlike our cars and P cars the interior was designed and built at oh lets say Mattel toys (lol). Had on 07 prior to the E92, I LOVED it, but always felt the need for a little more luxury. P cars are more refined and they put just as much design time in to the steering wheel as they do the brakes. In the end you have two wonderful machines and to each their own. As for me unless it is a 997 turbo coupe I would gladly go back to the Z06 over any of the others, would just have to buy a lot of Alcantara lol.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #27
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

It sounds to me like the OP is shopping for labels. These are two different cars with completely different chassis dynamics. I suggest that the OP tries each one on for size, sits down and contemplates which would works best for whatever the purpose is for buying either one in the first place, and then figure out the economics of ownership. Maybe neither car is suitable in the end.

The P-car (esp the 996 n/a version) might become an economical nightmare, whereas the GM product is a little more livable in terms of maintenance, repair, and mods. Either way, out-of-warranty means having some money in the bank for stormy weather.

When either one becomes no fun anymore, they both fetch about the same in resell relative to what was spent to get them in the first place. But repairs and maintenance costs can never be recouped. The P-car is always the more expensive pet.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #28
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Well any used 'Vette from 2002 will have the 5 year/100K powertrain warranty on it. Though I am sure mods would void that.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #29
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

911. I would choose refinement over the 'vette.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #30
EuRoTUneR
Eurotuner
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
It sounds to me like the OP is shopping for labels. These are two different cars with completely different chassis dynamics. I suggest that the OP tries each one on for size, sits down and contemplates which would works best for whatever the purpose is for buying either one in the first place, and then figure out the economics of ownership. Maybe neither car is suitable in the end.

The P-car (esp the 996 n/a version) might become an economical nightmare, whereas the GM product is a little more livable in terms of maintenance, repair, and mods. Either way, out-of-warranty means having some money in the bank for stormy weather.

When either one becomes no fun anymore, they both fetch about the same in resell relative to what was spent to get them in the first place. But repairs and maintenance costs can never be recouped. The P-car is always the more expensive pet.
You're right. I am not just looking for performance because as some have mentioned I could hop into a new mustang gt 5.0 which I'm sure is a monster. or i could even pick up an old civic and throw in some turbos.

In response to the labels I feel thats the same argument as why we buy BMW's over Hondas. To each his own, but I appreciate everyones input.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #31
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Make no mistake: Corvettes are performance monsters. Their acceleration--ahead and sideways--is phenomenal. Brakes are world-class.

Their only real lack: interior quality and public perception ("oh he must be going through a mid-life crisis", or "he must be one of those gold-chain wearing dudes").

I agree. If you don't care what people think, then definitely go with the vette. It's a great car, and will cost you less in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #32
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuRoTUneR View Post
You're right. I am not just looking for performance because as some have mentioned I could hop into a new mustang gt 5.0 which I'm sure is a monster. or i could even pick up an old civic and throw in some turbos.

In response to the labels I feel thats the same argument as why we buy BMW's over Hondas. To each his own, but I appreciate everyones input.
I personally would buy BMW's because how great they drive. Not because I want the image of being rich and wealthy and be a dick on the road thinking I own it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #33
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:

I guess you missed the point. These cars are way different in chassis dynamics and overall ownership. You're shopping labels and not 100% what the car is all about. They are totally different animals. So it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, that's all.

My point being is maybe neither is a choice and there might be other options for you. But you never said what it is precisely you want from a performance car. And you said "the badge feeds the ego." Also why would you "die for a Porsche?"

So, the question gets raised....

We buy BMWs over Hondas because they're such different cars, it's not about brand (except for some people.) But we cross shop Audi, Merc, and BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I personally would buy BMW's because how great they drive. Not because I want the image of being rich and wealthy and be a dick on the road thinking I own it.
+1

If we could all drive blindfolded, then we'd end up picking the car that we honestly prefer.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #34
EuRoTUneR
Eurotuner
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I had no intention of buying my BMW for the reasons of "image." Nor would I buy any other car for that reason.

The main reason for starting this thread was NOT to find out why I want one of these cars. It was to hear from those who have experiences with them and why they might not buy another, but i suppose after driving both I may not like the way one or the other drives.

We all have different reasons for buying different cars, no reason is right or wrong, in my opinion at least.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #35
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:

The main reason for starting this thread was NOT to find out why I want one of these cars. It was to hear from those who have experiences with them and why they might not buy another, but i suppose after driving both I may not like the way one or the other drives.
Woohoo! +1 gazillion.

You finally hit the right button.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #36
EuRoTUneR
Eurotuner
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
im glad we agree =] now is there any reason that you would think twice before buying another porsche, (in terms of problems that you have had with it)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #37
lesha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335 coupe

if you care what other people think or your image,

corvette = redneck with $
porsche = similar to bmw owners
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #38
EuRoTUneR
Eurotuner
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesha View Post

Agree to disagree haha
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #39
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I would probably go with the Vette, based on the overall cost of ownership and ease of service, but a smoking good deal on either car could swing it to either side.

If you opt for the C6, you want to try to go with an '08+ because they got the LS3 instead of the LS2 (which is good for an extra 30Hp or so) and some improvements to the shifter and steering IIRC. It might be a stretch to find a well optioned one with your budget, but it's certainly worth looking. If it were me, the Z51 suspension and brake package would be a "must have".

I keep saying I'm going to buy a Porsche (because I think every car enthusiast should own at least one in their lifetime) but every time I go car shopping and look at them I'm just can't get past the price/performance ratio when compared to other vehicles. I looked at the Cayman before I bought the 135i (along with the Vette) and the sticker price on them was pushing $60k, and that wasn't even for the S model. That's getting into slightly used Z06 range, and gets you a very well optioned LS3 Vette.

I'll eventually buy one, but probably later on when it's just a toy.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #40
EuRoTUneR
Eurotuner
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I would probably go with the Vette, based on the overall cost of ownership and ease of service, but a smoking good deal on either car could swing it to either side.

If you opt for the C6, you want to try to go with an '08+ because they got the LS3 instead of the LS2 (which is good for an extra 30Hp or so) and some improvements to the shifter and steering IIRC. It might be a stretch to find a well optioned one with your budget, but it's certainly worth looking. If it were me, the Z51 suspension and brake package would be a "must have".

I keep saying I'm going to buy a Porsche (because I think every car enthusiast should own at least one in their lifetime) but every time I go car shopping and look at them I'm just can't get past the price/performance ratio when compared to other vehicles. I looked at the Cayman before I bought the 135i (along with the Vette) and the sticker price on them was pushing $60k, and that wasn't even for the S model. That's getting into slightly used Z06 range, and gets you a very well optioned LS3 Vette.

I'll eventually buy one, but probably later on when it's just a toy.
Great advice. It seem's the Vette might be the better choice for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #41
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Great advice. It seem's the Vette might be the better choice for me.

One nice thing about the LS3 is that it's extremely reliable these days, and a few bolt-ons and a tune will net you good safe power gains. They also get great highway mileage (a lot of owners report 30MPG +), which is a bonus on a car that fast.

GM has also done a nice job of keeping the weight under control on the Vette with this last generation, considering the price point.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #42
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
im glad we agree =] now is there any reason that you would think twice before buying another porsche, (in terms of problems that you have had with it)
A Porsche is not simply a Porsche. There are many different versions of 911s out there. I've had many over the years but I also spent many years learning them, working on them, joining the PCA, etc.. It's a convoluted history of car manufacturing and it takes some time to know what's what.

I would never buy one just for the hell of it. It's an expensive addition. And I'll spend a few years to find the right one. Sit tight and the right one will come along. If you're not patient and don't wait for the right one at the right moment, then you'll be making a compromise of some kind just to get one in your garage. Big mistake.

Would I buy another one? Only if the exact one I'm looking for comes along. But the one I have is a good specimen, so I'm fine where I am right now. I would avoid a 996 unless it was a TT (way more reliable) and I personally don't feel comfortable working on the electronic 997 versions so one of those definitely requires warranty and/or cash for a bad day.

Would I buy a Vette instead? No. But only because I don't know a lot about them. And I don't have the time or inclination to learn about them.

But if I was starting out fresh, I'd learn which one works for me in terms of driving dynamics and ownership enjoyment (history, support, resources, etc..) How the cars behave on the road and the track would be a deciding factor if money absolutely didn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesha View Post

Not only rednecks with money, but rednecks who can out drive you and leave your narrow little butt in the dust.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #43
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

I would go with the 911 Turbo. Maybe an '04.
I did think about all the good deals on the vette, but damn I hate the styling of that car. And it wouldn't match my personality. Not that it is the main reason why I wouldn't buy it. I do like the powerhouse the vette pack.
Also in the long-run your able to do TURBO upgrades to the Porsche, which can easily get it doing 10seconds on the quarter mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 12:35 AM   #44
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

^ and how much more would it cost for installation & price of the turbo upgrade?
Appreciate 0