BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
snobrdr37
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

2008 M3 electrical Problem

Hey 2008 M3 owners, tell me if this has happened to you. As I was driving home on Fri, I get a warning about how the device control system; ABS; passenger restraint system; EDC was malfunctioning. All this occured all at once. Also, the speedomoter was not working, there was a warning anout increased emissions, the windshield wipers would not turn off, and also the navi was not working. I towed it to the dealer and they are still working on the issue. They think it was a short in one of the consoles. The car only has 6K miles on it an I am worried that this problem will continue to happen over and over again. What should I do. Has this happened to anyone else. Any help would be aprreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdr37 View Post
Hey 2008 M3 owners, tell me if this has happened to you. As I was driving home on Fri, I get a warning about how the device control system; ABS; passenger restraint system; EDC was malfunctioning. All this occured all at once. Also, the speedomoter was not working, there was a warning anout increased emissions, the windshield wipers would not turn off, and also the navi was not working. I towed it to the dealer and they are still working on the issue. They think it was a short in one of the consoles. The car only has 6K miles on it an I am worried that this problem will continue to happen over and over again. What should I do. Has this happened to anyone else. Any help would be aprreciated.
Did you even check the M3 forum? I'm not an M3 owner, and I know that's an issue. There's lots of information there.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

I've had my iDrive reboot a few times since I've owned the car -- usually while listening to an iPod playlist. That's about all I've experienced from an electrical failure perspective. And... of course... it corrected itself by rebooting, so no complaints here.

You should take your car in to see if any faults were recorded. They'll be able to retrieve those from your key.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Happened to me exactly the way you described it when I installed the BMW performance wheel. During the installation I didn't properly attach a wire. After I had fixed it, the problems just as you described had disappeared. If you were to remove the passenger side dash panel, there is a blue connector that holds all the wiring from the electronics in the cabin. If one of the connections is loose, then as I had realized, the whole thing goes haywire where everything you described happens. I don't think it's a major problem as it may be a loose wire/connector/short etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
safecents
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330i sport

2006 electrical problem wipers radio

I have the same problem and it is getting worse, now the headlights flash on and off at night and the motor has cut out several times on the freeway...if anyone can let me know what was wrong on their car I would appreciate it.
email me..

safecents@aol.com

2008 M3 electrical Problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appreciate 0