BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

12-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Smile KW Sleeve Over Springs Review

I have wanted to get rid of the front wheel gap on my E92 since about the 7th day I had it. I was back and forth on what springs to get, and after a lot of research and persuaded by a good deal, I picked up a set of KW sleeves.

I planned on doing the install myself (I installed springs on my E46 M3), but due to the fact that I don't have much free time anymore, this is my daily driver, and I didn't have an assistant, I opted out and got my local BMW shop to throw them on (thanks to a hook up).

What attracted me to this set was the fact that it was adjustable, works with EDC, and from what people have said, has a similar to stock feel. I told the mechanic to put them on max low and ill work them up when I take it back home to get it to my desired height.

On max low it is pretty damn low. I'm tucking all 4 tires with stock 220M wheels and no spacers. Due to the wide fenders, I don't like that "tucked" look so im going to be ordering spacers soon. Adjustability is very easy on the front; I haven't tried to adjust the rear, but I imagine its just as easy. I did take off the wheel to get to the front adjustment point just to see how it works. I'm going to ride around on max low for a while and see if I need to raise her up. After looking at a BUNCH of pictures, I feel these give one of the lowest drops on max low you can get from just springs (proof in the pics below).

The ride, as stated by other members, is very close to stock. Matter of fact, on the initial drive, if I wouldn't have seen the tucked tire, I would have thought it was still stock. It took me some time to hit some familiar bumps and drive my everyday roads to really tell a difference, and its not much of a difference at that.

The handling with these have definitely improved. Enough to where I can feel the difference around turns and bring it up in this review. The steering is also a bit more firm (I don't know why really) but it is, and I love it. I'm REALLY impressed on the handling of the car after just these springs.

Bottom line: If you have the little extra money to put toward the KW sleeve over kit vs. other lowering springs; DO IT. Especially if you have similar wants as I did (low drop, better handling, similar to stock ride, etc...).

Below are some quick shots I took after I drove her home, this is max low all 4 corners, no spacers:

STOCK vs. KW Sleeve Over Springs (max low)

Ill take some better pics after I give her a good wash and get some good sunlight!

Thanks for reading! Hope this helps future buyers...

2023 BG G80 ///M3 COMP XDRIVE
Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12

Last edited by to///m; 12-16-2013 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Looks great! Lovin your color.

FYI! The rear adjustment won't be as easy as you may think. The spring collar will spin as you turn your spanner wrench for adjustment. What you need is a 3" C Clamp to clamp on the collar(not on the threads) to prevent it from spinning. This is one way!

The other way is to undo 2 bolts to drop the spring then adjust.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post

FYI! The rear adjustment won't be as easy as you may think. The spring collar will spin as you turn your spanner wrench for adjustment. What you need is a 3" C Clamp to clamp on the collar(not on the threads) to prevent it from spinning. This is one way!

Thanks man.

I know exactly what you mean on the rear, thanks for the info

Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:

I just used vise grips (upside down) and pinched the round top edge of the perch. It sticks out past the cars body enough to get a small grab at it. IT will turn to the body and hold still while you crank on the lower adjustment.

The c clip works too, but its harder to setup (time wise) and most people dont have one laying round.
      12-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Probably riding on the bumpstops no...? I'd be scared to hit a big bump mid corner if I were you. Slamming the car on OEM struts isn't the greatest recipe for handling on these cars...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

As long as you keep the stock dampers sleeve over kit = springs.

With either setup, i would recommend dinan or MRF milled strut mounts to increase travel.

I actually prefer springs because sleeve kits can really fk up the ride if you drop it too low. However, sleeve kits do allow corner balancing but I would think that anyone willing to pay for a corner balance would just pay up for a real coilover setup.

I am biased. I prefer performance over looks.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post

With either setup, i would recommend dinan or MRF milled strut mounts to increase travel.

I actually prefer springs because sleeve kits can really fk up the ride if you drop it too low. However, sleeve kits do allow corner balancing but I would think that anyone willing to pay for a corner balance would just pay up for a real coilover setup.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
Probably riding on the bumpstops no...? I'd be scared to hit a big bump mid corner if I were you. Slamming the car on OEM struts isn't the greatest recipe for handling on these cars...
i dont know how to tell if im riding on bumpstops... if riding on bumpstops feels similar to stock suspension, then yes, im riding on bumpstops.

im going to lift it up a bit, but the handling is definitely improved from stock

Last edited by to///m; 12-18-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Quote:

i dont understand what you mean in the bold above. If the sleeve kit is the same as springs (which i agree), then how do you prefer springs over a sleeve kit?

A sleeve kit is everything a spring is and some... it would be user error, like myself, if the ride is fked up by being on max low correct?

Last edited by to///m; 12-18-2013 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by to///m View Post
i dont understand what you mean in the bold above. If the sleeve kit is the same as springs (which i agree), then how do you prefer springs over a sleeve kit?

A sleeve kit is everything a spring is and some... it would be user error, like myself, if the ride is fked up by being on max low correct?
Correct.

Some springs drop the car just as low or dam near as close as the KWs on max low. So that statement about sleeve overs fucking your shit up makes zero sense to me too.

However, I would not run your car at max low. I would suggest 3 to 3.25 gap front and back from fender edge to top of rim. You will have a nice clean drop and some suspension travel to keep things somewhat safe.I noticed a huge increase in ride comfort going from 3" to 3.25" gap. I mean it was THAT much of a difference and hardly any difference in looks.

Being that low is just going to prematurely end your struts life (some have reported 6 month max low blew stock struts out). But whatever makes you happy is the way to go!

Im glad you like the kit!
      12-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:

Let me correct this by saying I like Eibach springs better than s/o's. Even good coilovers have a limited range of adjustment. When you put s/o's on you are already messing up travel unless you keep it the drop minimal. The difference is peanuts. S/o's or springs do the same thing. But if you buy s/o's for max drop then your upset your stock damper capability.

From my personal experience, Eibachs with milled strut guides ride like OEM.

However, I do think your car looks great! Add some spacers to fill in the gaps.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:

I need to lower my car now hahah.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
I need to lower my car now hahah.
Haha. Do it when you come over for your spacer install.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Correct.

Some springs drop the car just as low or dam near as close as the KWs on max low. So that statement about sleeve overs fucking your shit up makes zero sense to me too.

However, I would not run your car at max low. I would suggest 3 to 3.25 gap front and back from fender edge to top of rim. You will have a nice clean drop and some suspension travel to keep things somewhat safe.I noticed a huge increase in ride comfort going from 3" to 3.25" gap. I mean it was THAT much of a difference and hardly any difference in looks.

Being that low is just going to prematurely end your struts life (some have reported 6 month max low blew stock struts out). But whatever makes you happy is the way to go!

I agree. Im going to do this when i get home today!

Thanks again man. Im going to go figure out how to leave you feedback now! lol

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Quote:
Let me correct this by saying I like Eibach springs better than s/o's. Even good coilovers have a limited range of adjustment. When you put s/o's on you are already messing up travel unless you keep it the drop minimal. The difference is peanuts. S/o's or springs do the same thing. But if you buy s/o's for max drop then your upset your stock damper capability.

From my personal experience, Eibachs with milled strut guides ride like OEM.

However, I do think your car looks great! Add some spacers to fill in the gaps.
Thank you! Ya im prob going to order the spacers like today

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Correct.

Update: i raised the suspension to get around 3.25 gap all around and ILSMKU said it! It def made a world of difference in ride quality. This is the truth!

I rode around on max low for a couple weeks and it got a little annoying since this is my DD. Do you all think i did any strut damage riding on max low for under a few weeks?? The car feel great though

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #17
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Update: i raised the suspension to get around 3.25 gap all around and ILSMKU said it! It def made a world of difference in ride quality. This is the truth!

I rode around on max low for a couple weeks and it got a little annoying since this is my DD. Do you all think i did any strut damage riding on max low for under a few weeks?? The car feel great though
Right on man. Glad it feels better!