BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

03-31-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Ohlin Rears Help

Just wanted to ask for some help. I have been going stir crazy being sick with strep throat. So I wanted to set this up so when I get better to put the together. So I am having issues with the rear.

As you can see in the pictures below:

I just want to make sure that I am putting them together. After I stack all of the pieces together there seems to be no room for the rear mount to catch any thread. Any help would be great, I am wondering if I need to remove anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Pull the sleeve out of the orange stock bushing - IIRC, the Ohlins spacer replaces it for EDC equipped cars. (otherwise, if you don't have EDC, keep the stock spacer) The Ohlins spacer fills up the wider hole in the EDC rear shock mount. This is actually a really nice design so there aren't different shock shafts for EDC vs non-EDC Ohlins fitments.
Attached Images

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Pull the sleeve out of the orange stock bushing - IIRC, the Ohlins spacer replaces it for EDC equipped cars. (otherwise, if you don't have EDC, keep the stock spacer) The Ohlins spacer fills up the wider hole in the EDC rear shock mount. This is actually a really nice design so there aren't different shock shafts for EDC vs non-EDC Ohlins fitments.
now that makes sense, so I need to remove this little spacer that comes factory

how is the m4?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
What Kit said.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
What Kit said.
thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Good luck with the install, dude. (And get well soon!)

What do you plan to do to the rear so that you can adjust the struts?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:58 PM   #7
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Good luck with the install, dude. (And get well soon!)

What do you plan to do to the rear so that you can adjust the struts?
Hopefully he bought the handy dandy Ohlins extensions for the knobs.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully he bought the handy dandy Ohlins extensions for the knobs.
I got those. They are a little vague for my taste. It's very hard to tell when you have adjusted the suspension, sadly.

They should have put the adjustment for the rears on bottom and the fronts on top instead of the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
I got those. They are a little vague for my taste. It's very hard to tell when you have adjusted the suspension, sadly.

They should have put the adjustment for the rears on bottom and the fronts on top instead of the other way around.
Agree with this. I feel like one of those safecrackers in the movies trying to hear/feel the subtle click in the rears. One of the 1M guys was going to retrofit a stouter set of AST adjusters to his Ohlins but I did not followup on the results.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Agree with this. I feel like one of those safecrackers in the movies trying to hear/feel the subtle click in the rears. One of the 1M guys was going to retrofit a stouter set of AST adjusters to his Ohlins but I did not followup on the results.
Yes, exactly. They're a joke, honestly. I see zero reason they couldn't be solid metal adjustors with a slight bend or hinge in the rod to accommodate the angle of the trunk liner if necessary.

Who was the individual that tried to retro some AST adjusters? I wouldn't mind following up with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Try this:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=93
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, exactly. They're a joke, honestly. I see zero reason they couldn't be solid metal adjustors with a slight bend or hinge in the rod to accommodate the angle of the trunk liner if necessary.

Who was the individual that tried to retro some AST adjusters? I wouldn't mind following up with them.
Yeah, I agree. They are a big spring so there is a decent amount of squish. I kind of hate them - I might just do the hole + carpet plug next time. (I covered the holes in one of my e9x with a plastic cable routing plug for a desk top)

Inverted rear shocks would have been nice, but much more expensive to make, since you have to build the clevis around the knob, etc.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
how is the m4?

Missed this before.

I just bought my 6th e9x M3. I liked the F80 M3, undoubtably faster, lighter, more comfortable, all that. But, the price/performance is way worse for me (I got an almost fully loaded F80 at $80k) and I probably should have gotten a 911 turbo instead. (not that they are faster than an F80 except maybe from a launch...)

Anyway, I'm selling the F80 and will keep the e92 M3 for the time being.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #14
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:

Also if you hear back from him let me know what he ended up doing as I'm curious about this as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #15
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Also if you hear back from him let me know what he ended up doing as I'm curious about this as well.
I checked that guy's profile, but it wouldn't give me the option to send him a PM or leave him a visitor message. It seemed the only option was to send him an instant message via AIM, but I haven't used that since 2003.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #16
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
question guys. I just got my car on the road and i have some clunking noise. I am pretty sure it has to do with me not tightening it when it was on the ground. I will be making those adjustments tomorrow. But the one thing that I am worried about is the rears. When you put the ohlin springs in do you use the stock bottom mount or just remove it and use the new piece that ohlin provides?

The black pieces on the bottom.. or am I dumb and used it for the wrong part ha
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #17
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
question guys. I just got my car on the road and i have some clunking noise. I am pretty sure it has to do with me not tightening it when it was on the ground. I will be making those adjustments tomorrow. But the one thing that I am worried about is the rears. When you put the ohlin springs in do you use the stock bottom mount or just remove it and use the new piece that ohlin provides?

The black pieces on the bottom.. or am I dumb and used it for the wrong part ha
Pretty sure it's just the ohlins piece on the bottom. Make sure you tightened the rear shock mount at the top enough.

If you loosened any suspension bushings then you're going to want to loosen and re tighten at ride height. This is only for the rubber bushings.. The ball joints can pivot and you don't need to do this.

When I did my rear I undid the bolt on the outer a-arm (ball joint) and loosened the inner bolt (bushing). When putting back together be very very very careful not to rip the rubber boot around the ball joint.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Most probably did will be my next big $$$$ mod. I was wondering if you have had a chance to test them and give us a performance report on them? Are these the DFvs?
Appreciate 0