BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

04-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
NoSHAM3
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a gas guzzler

Has anyone gone from Swift Spec R to Ohlins DFV

Update: I purchased a set of KW CS and will install them this weekend hopefully. I will report back with my impressions and opinions.

Just wondering if anyone has made this switch and can comment as to the ride quality change. I currently have the Swift Spec R springs and like that the ride is a little stiffer than stock without being jarring like some coilover setups I have experienced. Ohlins seems to be the best street coilover so that is why I am hoping someone here has tried both. Thanks!

I did try searching and had no luck with this particular scenario but if this has been asked/answered before my apologies for

Suck/Squeeze/Bang/Blow

Last edited by NoSHAM3; 04-16-2015 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Are you asking for people to comment on a spring vs coilover setup?

Unless someone has a total rethink, or cash windfall, a Swift guy is unlikely to also be an Ohlins guy.

Sub'd for the luls.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post

Unless someone has a total rethink, or cash windfall, a Swift guy is unlikely to also be an Ohlins guy.

Sub'd for the luls.
I don't think that is an accurate statement at all.

I was cross shopping both and decided to stay with a basic spring setup to keep my edc functionality. If I'm not happy with the ride/performance or my skill level increases I will most certainly look at a coilover setup. I'm sure a number of members have done the same. Actually, I believe member, TrakBch, started with a set of swift springs and went to a full coilover system a few seasons later. OP you should try and contact him for his overall impression.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
NoSHAM3
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post

Sub'd for the luls.
No I'm not necessarily asking for people to compare a lowering spring to a coilover, at least not as a whole. Basically, I was just asking for a comparison in the ride quality between the two. I understand how the functionality differs and that the coilover is more capable track wise.

Hopefully you get the luls you're looking for, otherwise your time and post will be for nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
NoSHAM3
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bear View Post
I don't think that is an accurate statement at all.

I was cross shopping both and decided to stay with a basic spring setup to keep my edc functionality. If I'm not happy with the ride/performance or my skill level increases I will most certainly look at a coilover setup. I'm sure a number of members have done the same. Actually, I believe member, TrakBch, started with a set of swift springs and went to a full coilover system a few seasons later. OP you should try and contact him for his overall impression.
Thanks for the tip, I'll PM TrakBch and see if he has any insight. I, like you, went with the springs for edc functionality and because they are inexpensive. I am starting to get the feeling they aren't as capable as I would like them to be so I am looking for alternatives. I've had coilovers in the past that were harsh and I'm trying to avoid that which is why the ohlins are on my radar. It seems to be the one of the best dual duty coilovers from what I have read.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

I'm in the same boat as you. I currently have Swifts on my M3 for the sake of keeping EDC and slightly the costs (I assume ride quality wouldn't differ too much depending on springrates and how aggressive the Ohlins valving is). I feel the Swifts are a great upgrade but would like a bit more.

To note: I had custom valved Ohlins DFV's on my Evo IX a few years ago before moving into my M3. They were the best suspension choice I have worked with for the costs. I think with all honestly they would be as much as an upgrade or more on the M3 as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
NoSHAM3
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I currently have Swifts on my M3 for the sake of keeping EDC and slightly the costs (I assume ride quality wouldn't differ too much depending on springrates and how aggressive the Ohlins valving is). I feel the Swifts are a great upgrade but would like a bit more.

To note: I had custom valved Ohlins DFV's on my Evo IX a few years ago before moving into my M3. They were the best suspension choice I have worked with for the costs. I think with all honestly they would be as much as an upgrade or more on the M3 as well.
Good to know. I might just pull the trigger and buy a set and report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just wanted to add that the Swifts are really a perfect upgrade for the M3 if you want a cost effective way to lower, add a slightly higher springrate, and retain the EDC. The car feels more buckled down and still rides great. I think for the price it's very good for a DD car or even some HPDE's every now and again.

Now with that said, having owned Ohlins and knowing the capabilities I can see where for anything above a novice driver the stock suspension regardless of springs will leave a few things to be desired in my opinion. If I were tracking more than a few times a year keeping EDC would be less of a concern and Ohlins would be on the forefront of upgrades.

Also, I noticed your location and if that's Tacoma, WA your welcome to come up to Lynnwood and take a ride sometime if you were debating on the Swifts.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
NoSHAM3
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I just wanted to add that the Swifts are really a perfect upgrade for the M3 if you want a cost effective way to lower, add a slightly higher springrate, and retain the EDC. The car feels more buckled down and still rides great. I think for the price it's very good for a DD car or even some HPDE's every now and again.

Now with that said, having owned Ohlins and knowing the capabilities I can see where for anything above a novice driver the stock suspension regardless of springs will leave a few things to be desired in my opinion. If I were tracking more than a few times a year keeping EDC would be less of a concern and Ohlins would be on the forefront of upgrades.

Also, I noticed your location and if that's Tacoma, WA your welcome to come up to Lynnwood and take a ride sometime if you were debating on the Swifts.
Thanks for the offer. I already have the Swifts installed on my car, but now I'm thinking I want more after a skills day and some mountain runs. The Swifts are nice though.

Suck/Squeeze/Bang/Blow
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSHAM3 View Post
Thanks for the offer. I already have the Swifts installed on my car, but now I'm thinking I want more after a skills day and some mountain runs. The Swifts are nice though.
I should have read your original post more carefully about already having Swifts .
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #11
NoSHAM3
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I should have read your original post more carefully about already having Swifts .
Ha no worries. I do that all the time

Suck/Squeeze/Bang/Blow
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Can't compare Swifts to Ohlins but originally had Dinan Stage 1 and went to Ohlins R&T. I have them cranked to 8/9 (pretty stiff) and I find them less jarring and more compliant than the Dinan kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #13
NoSHAM3
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I bypassed the Ohlins and went with KW Clubsports (hopefully I don't regret that) I should have them installed this weekend with city driving all week and a fun day of aggressive driving the following weekend so I will report back with my findings.

Cheers!

Suck/Squeeze/Bang/Blow
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #14
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
I bypassed the Ohlins and went with KW Clubsports (hopefully I don't regret that) I should have them installed this weekend with city driving all week and a fun day of aggressive driving the following weekend so I will report back with my findings.

Cheers!
How goes the coilover? Jumped into the Swift Springs a long while ago since the coilover on my last car was brutal up north. I figured I might do coilovers again after 60-70k miles

John

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 11:32 PM   #15
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was debating between the V3 and HAS kits. Decided to go for springs like you to keep EDC. Once I really start driving the car like it should (on the track) then I'll probably upgrade as well.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #16
LindaTheCat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 6MT

Springs mostly give you feedback of the road. Shocks are the key for your tyre and road contact. You can start your study again based on this.
      07-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #17
NoSHAM3
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
How goes the coilover? Jumped into the Swift Springs a long while ago since the coilover on my last car was brutal up north. I figured I might do coilovers again after 60-70k miles

John
The KWCS are good. Maybe a little rough for the street. I'm still trying to figure out settings on them. The suggested settings would probably be great for the track (which is what they were designed for) but they were too aggressive for the street in my opinion. When out of the city on fun mountain roads the coilovers really shine. The contact between the road and tire is far superior to stock or with swift springs, therefore you can go into corners carrying more speed. I have also noticed I can get on the throttle sooner as well. The car seems less likely to understeer or oversteer in corners (same wheels/tires used before and after coilover install).

I think that the ohlins would be a better choice for the street as the spring rates are much softer. This would coincide with what others have said about the ohlins being a great street coilover that can be used on the track, while the KWCS is a great track coilover that can be used on the street.

That being said, if I found someone that wanted to trade their ohlins for my KWCS I think I would probably do it.

Suck/Squeeze/Bang/Blow
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #18
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

OP, what tires are you running and what sizes?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #19
simpleM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 06' E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
19’ BMW M5C  [0.00]
2007 E61 530XI  [0.00]
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
Have you sold the Swifts? If not, PM with details.

Quote:
The KWCS are good. Maybe a little rough for the street. I'm still trying to figure out settings on them. The suggested settings would probably be great for the track (which is what they were designed for) but they were too aggressive for the street in my opinion. When out of the city on fun mountain roads the coilovers really shine. The contact between the road and tire is far superior to stock or with swift springs, therefore you can go into corners carrying more speed. I have also noticed I can get on the throttle sooner as well. The car seems less likely to understeer or oversteer in corners (same wheels/tires used before and after coilover install).

I think that the ohlins would be a better choice for the street as the spring rates are much softer. This would coincide with what others have said about the ohlins being a great street coilover that can be used on the track, while the KWCS is a great track coilover that can be used on the street.

That being said, if I found someone that wanted to trade their ohlins for my KWCS I think I would probably do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #20
NoSHAM3
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
OP, what tires are you running and what sizes?
PS2 stock sizes. I will be getting some Bridgestone S-04 in 265/285 soon which should make things more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleM3 View Post
Have you sold the Swifts? If not, PM with details.
Yep the swifts are long gone. Kind of wish I would've held on to them. They were great for what they were.

Suck/Squeeze/Bang/Blow
Appreciate 0