BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-02-2015, 01:15 AM   #1
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Help getting stiffer springs for my clubsport

So, I used my clubsport at the track and I kinda think the front is way too soft for my liking after driving my friends with jrz rs pro. (those are real track coilovers damnnn)

But since I already bought the clubsport, I was thinking about getting stiffer springs on the front only since the stiffness is rated at 500 and I am looking for something at 650. Since the rear is rated as 800, I will leave it as is.

I am also adding a sway bar to see if it helps with my understeering.

Thanks
      07-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
pvms
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

as i know, newer KW clubsport come with 110 N/mm (628 lbs/in) old one was 90 N/mm (514 lbs/in). I think you can order stiffer spring from KW or get eibach shorter spring like slicer did.
140mm length 110 N/mm
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/e...l?noredirect=1
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvms View Post
as i know, newer KW clubsport come with 110 N/mm (628 lbs/in) old one was 90 N/mm (514 lbs/in). I think you can order stiffer spring from KW or get eibach shorter spring like slicer did.
140mm length 110 N/mm
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/e...l?noredirect=1
Yes but people think you can drop springs to any strut/shock to solve issue, you wont. These springs may take a bit more rate but you need to revalve them to ensure they are not underdamped. I personally would NOT do this as springs are matched to the shock valving. Speaking from experience when I didnt know all of this and learnt it the hard way. Save yourself the agony. Plus dont compare these to the RS Pro please

I would put a set of front ONLY HR swaybar, that should tighten up a fair bit. Baby steps. If I had your suspension, I'd be over the moon. Its a street car and you aint winning any cash on the track (thats what I tell myself to calm the disoriented other side of the brain). Remember there is always someone out there with better suspension/brakes/exhaust blah blah. Perfection is living in the moment and enjoying what you have vs wishing what it could be.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Yes but people think you can drop springs to any strut/shock to solve issue, you wont. These springs may take a bit more rate but you need to revalve them to ensure they are not underdamped. I personally would NOT do this as springs are matched to the shock valving. Speaking from experience when I didnt know all of this and learnt it the hard way. Save yourself the agony. Plus dont compare these to the RS Pro please

I would put a set of front ONLY HR swaybar, that should tighten up a fair bit. Baby steps. If I had your suspension, I'd be over the moon. Its a street car and you aint winning any cash on the track (thats what I tell myself to calm the disoriented other side of the brain). Remember there is always someone out there with better suspension/brakes/exhaust blah blah. Perfection is living in the moment and enjoying what you have vs wishing what it could be.

Lutfy
hmm good to know. Heard that before, but wasnt sure about the problems I would face. Yea there is no comparison with rs pro LOL.....they are amazingly better than kw.....i was so impressed. I want to get one in the future......for me who tracks once a month, I think is worth it.....i love when the car handles the way I want, and so far I havent achieved with my kws.....I will try adding a sway bar and see.

Also to whoever said the clubsport are stiff, must seriously consider getting a corolla......

but once again, the rs pro made by aliens....
      07-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3SennA View Post
hmm good to know. Heard that before, but wasnt sure about the problems I would face. Yea there is no comparison with rs pro LOL.....they are amazingly better than kw.....i was so impressed. I want to get one in the future......for me who tracks once a month, I think is worth it.....i love when the car handles the way I want, and so far I havent achieved with my kws.....I will try adding a sway bar and see.

Also to whoever said the clubsport are stiff, must seriously consider getting a corolla......

but once again, the rs pro made by aliens....
Hey are you going to buttonwillow on Jul 26th with Speed Ventures? I can give you a ride along to see if you feel any difference with my setup?

It's not that bad - maybe ride height / camber / bump / rebound could change it up a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Hey are you going to buttonwillow on Jul 26th with Speed Ventures? I can give you a ride along to see if you feel any difference with my setup?

It's not that bad - maybe ride height / camber / bump / rebound could change it up a bit.
+1 you should get a ride with him. hes a good driver with a good amt of track time.

It's all in the setup. JRZ is a superior suspension, no doubt about that. But setting it up to tailor the car and most importantly the driver plays big part. Since it's your first day on them, dont change up too many things yet. Learn, and make small adjustments. rinse and repeat. If it doesn't work then look into switching. meh it's just my 2 cents. Take it for what its worth. I'm under the camp that likes to get as much as I can out of what I have before i switch things up.

Good luck and have fun.
      07-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yes. I am going....thank you for the offer! would love to see your settings!

Thanks
      07-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
+1 you should get a ride with him. hes a good driver with a good amt of track time.

It's all in the setup. JRZ is a superior suspension, no doubt about that. But setting it up to tailor the car and most importantly the driver plays big part. Since it's your first day on them, dont change up too many things yet. Learn, and make small adjustments. rinse and repeat. If it doesn't work then look into switching. meh it's just my 2 cents. Take it for what its worth. I'm under the camp that likes to get as much as I can out of what I have before i switch things up.

Good luck and have fun.
I agree with you. that is the reason i didnt take them out. I will try and try and if it still not up to my standards, Ill change to something else.
      07-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

sHIT just noticed that we are going on 25th not 26th.....
      07-02-2015, 11:37 PM   #10
Melchior
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 DCT

Clubsports have a wide enough range that you can go up 150-200lbs with good control. I run 1000 lbs on the rear without issues.

How did the shocks feel soft? Were they numb? Slow response? Or, did you feel like the front rolled too much (not a shock issue)? Where were your adjustments at? What spring rates did your friends car have?

Keep in mind stiffer front springs will make the car push more than the current setup. So will a big front bar.n you'll need to make adjustments with the rear to keep the balance.

I have the eibach FSB on full soft, 514 lb fronts and 1000 lb rears and the setup is really neutrul. I have a square tire setup.
Appreciate 0