BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
S65B40YYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' E93 M3

Suspension/Coilover kit selection advice

I have an 08' E93 with EDC which I lowered on H&R springs last summer and I feel the springs have completely ruined the ride. I had the bump stops trimmed slightly when they were installed but I am still less than satisfied with the ride.
I find it is really crashy and rough even in comfort setting.

I want to retain the lowered ride height but I want to regain the suspension compliance for rough road surfaces as the roads in Calgary are miserable especially on 19"+ wheels.

I suspect all lowering springs will net a similar poor ride quality so I am on the hunt for a new suspension kit where I can still lower the car but regain the suspension compliance. I do not track this car so I am not looking for all out performance but lowering capability with good shock absorption.

What are some of the coil over kits out there that can meet these requirements? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Definitely get the B12 kit from Bilstein. Or if you already have the springs, get just the shocks.

Massive improvement and they will happily take whatever you want to lower the car

I've put a crazy amount of miles on that suspension, I've run it on 4 cars. Unless you're tracking seriously I believe it's a mistake to get anything else
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Definitely get the B12 kit from Bilstein. Or if you already have the springs, get just the shocks.

Massive improvement and they will happily take whatever you want to lower the car

I've put a crazy amount of miles on that suspension, I've run it on 4 cars. Unless you're tracking seriously I believe it's a mistake to get anything else
OP, be clear that that B8 is not EDC ready. B6 Damptronic or B16 Coilover Damptronic is the EDC compatible for functionality. If you are ok with removing EDC, then B12kit or B8 is a great happy medium between a track rat setup and street normal setup.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
OP, be clear that that B8 is not EDC ready. B6 Damptronic or B16 Coilover Damptronic is the EDC compatible for functionality. If you are ok with removing EDC, then B12kit or B8 is a great happy medium between a track rat setup and street normal setup.
Good point

If the car has edc you probably want the edc bilsteins. I believe these are available in B6 and B8 form
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Good point

If the car has edc you probably want the edc bilsteins. I believe these are available in B6 and B8 form
only B6 form. It is also 3x the cost..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have Ohlins and they are stiff compared to OEM but they do a much better job than lowering springs and struts.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 03:32 AM   #7
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had H&R springs on my E60 M5 and I hated how bad it rode. Finally changed them to Dinan and the ride is back to being more comfortable and not as bouncy.

On my E92 M3, I am running stock EDC shocks, Eibachs, Shaved front Mounts, and E36 M3 bumpstops. The ride is still close to OEM, doesn't bounce and is daily-driver comfortable. When it's time, I'll probably upgrade to Bilstein shocks.
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
I have Ohlins and they are stiff compared to OEM but they do a much better job than lowering springs and struts.
Interesting, I heard people saying the Ohlins offers OEM level if not slightly better ride quality
      04-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W12x View Post
Interesting, I heard people saying the Ohlins offers OEM level if not slightly better ride quality
I read that too before I got them but that is not the case. I've been comparing them directly with my friends ZCP and they are a good amount stiffer. The spring is almost double if I'm not mistaken. They handle great, the car is definitely flatter and more balanced vs stock suspension but they are less comfortable and kind of annoying for everyday driving. Maybe its the shitty LA streets?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #10
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Quote:
I read that too before I got them but that is not the case. I've been comparing them directly with my friends ZCP and they are a good amount stiffer. The spring is almost double if I'm not mistaken. They handle great, the car is definitely flatter and more balanced vs stock suspension but they are less comfortable and kind of annoying for everyday driving. Maybe its the shitty LA streets?
What kind of wheels/tires do you have on the car? And how many clicks are you setting the RT to?

I have been debating about Ohlins RT vs B16 and still can't make up my mind
      04-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What kind of wheels/tires do you have on the car? And how many clicks are you setting the RT to?

I have been debating about Ohlins RT vs B16 and still can't make up my mind
I have two sets, ZCP with PSS for street and Apex ARC-8 with Bridgestone RE71Rs for track.

I am about 10 clicks away from full stiff. It is not horrible but definitely not as comfortable as OEM. I haven't tried the B16 damptronic so I would not be able to compare the two. I'd love to try them though.

Overall, I am very happy with the Ohlins, would buy them again. Great spring rate for canyon/track driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #12
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Yep, and I just roll my eyes when I read that - people have been claiming that XYZ coil over is "more comfortable than stock" for as long as I can remember and it's utter nonsense.

That's not to say that they can't be less jarring over sharp hits and/or at higher speeds - this is possible with really good dampers and high-speed blow off but you will always lose considerable comfort in 'normal' driving simply due to the fact that much greater forces are required to "get" the dampers moving because stiff springs and lots of low speed valving force = very stiff around town.

It's a fallacy.... don't ever believe that. For the record, I ran the RT on my 46M.... nowhere near OEM and OEM on that car is NOT comfortable. Were the RT bad? No, but stock they were not.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Ohlins springs are slightly stiffer than stock. They are not uncomfortable / harsh.

At 12 clicks (fairly soft) they are very comfortable and exhibit better body control than stock. People say they are more 'comfortable' than stock because there is less swaying and bouncing over bumpy roads. In that sense, they are correct. I do find that they ride more pleasantly than stock (since some people night be nazi with using the term 'comfortable').

I track my Ohlins regularly but do find them slightly undersprung for pure track work. They are worlds better than stock but you can tell they will benefit from stiffer springs if all they will be used for is tracking.

My car is a daily driver so Ohlins is the best compromise for me, I feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #14
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

RT springs are twice as stiff front and 50% stiffer back. Not "slightly" stiffer by any stretch.

Stiffer springs equals stiffer ride. You can argue better dampers and all that.....been down this road a thousand times. I'd love to be wrong and find that silver bullet setup, though, just doesn't exist in my experience. There is always a compromise.

I'm sure they offer much better body control - no doubt there. But at slower speeds they will be much stiffer than stock. This may not bother you, which is fine.

Last edited by EricSMG; 04-21-2018 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #15
TimberWolf_3063
Dem Ingenör ist nix zu schwör!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 - DCT, EDC

Garage List
OP, from all quarters I have heard nothing but good things about people going with mild to medium lowering springs and then shaving the front strut guides and using E36 M3 bump stops. I am actually going that route myself soon, with Eibach springs (when my EDC shocks pack it in, I'll go for the full Bilstein B16 EDC coilover kit).

Until then, I have tracked down the relevant part numbers: 31332225377 for the bumpstops and 31302283650 for the front strut guides.

I would suggest contacting Malek@MRF and reading his thread on the subject http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=shaved so you can see if this is something you'd be interested in - it appears to be a cost-effective solution for the want-lowering-springs-without-killing-ride-quality problem.

I have access to a machine shop, so I can shave the guides myself - just asked Malek for some more details RE rubber tubing instead of the rear spring pads since PhotoBucket packed it in. The guides are shaved approx. 8.5 mm on the rubber end BTW.
The idea is that with the shorter E36 bumpstops, and the shaved guides, the suspension travel lost with the lower springs is regained while still having the car sit lower.

Hope this helps!
"Ah, what music! They could never have imagined it, those pioneers that invented the automobile...that it would possess us like this, and our imaginations, and our dreams. You see, men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!" - Alexander Fermor-Hesketh, 3rd Baron Hesketh

Last edited by TimberWolf_3063; 04-27-2018 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #16
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf_3063 View Post
OP, from all quarters I have heard nothing but good things about people going with mild to medium lowering springs and then shaving the front strut guides and using E36 M3 bump stops. I am actually going that route myself soon, with Eibach springs...if my EDC shocks ever pack it in, I'll go for the full Bilstein B16 EDC coilover kit.

Until then, I have tracked down the relevant part numbers: 31332225377 for the bumpstops and 31302283650 for the front strut guides (if you want to shave your stock ones and just order a new pair to have on hand).

I would suggest contacting Malek@MRF and reading his thread on the subject http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=shaved so you can see if this is something you'd be interested in - it appears to be a cost-effective solution for the want-lowering-springs-without-killing-ride-quality problem.

I have access to a machine shop, so I can shave the guides myself - just asked Malek for some more details RE rubber tubing instead of the rear spring pads since PhotoBucket packed it in. The guides are shaved approx. 8.5 mm on the rubber end BTW.
The idea is that with the shorter E36 bumpstops, and the shaved guides, the suspension travel lost with the lower springs is regained while still having the car sit lower.

Hope this helps!
FWIW, this photobucket extension will fix things

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...giikdkpmcpkaon
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #17
TimberWolf_3063
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
FWIW, this photobucket extension will fix things

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...giikdkpmcpkaon
Cool beans and works! Thanks a heap!
"Ah, what music! They could never have imagined it, those pioneers that invented the automobile...that it would possess us like this, and our imaginations, and our dreams. You see, men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!" - Alexander Fermor-Hesketh, 3rd Baron Hesketh
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #18
xiliy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ride BMC

So Malek's way to shave down the guides will make ride quality like oem while lowered with just springs?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #19
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

If you're going with Ohlins, while the springs are stiffer, they are far more comfortable than the OEM setup. The dampers are really impressive.

But if you're going to be going to the track, you'll need to upgrade the springs. I went with 600/800.
      04-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #20
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
I hear people stay this and all I can think is stock was not comfortable to begin with lol....
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #21
TimberWolf_3063
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiliy View Post
So Malek's way to shave down the guides will make ride quality like oem while lowered with just springs?
That seems to be the idea.
It appears very similar to Dinan's Supplemental Ride Quality & Handling Kit...

...but probably for a lot less $$$.

The E36 M3 bumpstops (31332225377)

are showing for $17.01 US each on Turner Motorsport right now, and the strut guides (31302283650)

for $117.95 US each, for Genuine BMW...figure $620 US including your choice of lowering springs to do it this way.

The Dinan kit retails for $741.60 US without springs.

Just got some updated information from Malek on this, he says 8 years after the thread some things have been updated - shaved strut guides, E36 bumpstops, leave the rear alone (new lowering spring, but re-use OEM rear spring pad and guide). Keep in mind this was a ZCP car going to H&R Sport, so lower to begin with, and lower springs than a non-ZCP going to Eibach (which is what I'm thinking).

I cannot personally vouch for this because I haven't done it yet, but it will probably happen this summer. My plan is to shave down my OEM strut guides on a lathe and keep the new ones just to have on hand, in case something goes wrong or I don't like it. I will report back after.

(Credit to Malek@MRF for the original writeup and updated info, and rzm3 for the comparisons and pictures)

Last edited by TimberWolf_3063; 04-26-2018 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #22
furry
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

This is a really helpful post. My car has stock EDC and its lowered on H&R race springs (red ones). Sometimes it feels a bit harsh and stiff, especially since I swapped to my summer ZCP wheels. I bought e36 bumpstops but could never figure out how to shave the strut guides.

However, if it will cost me a couple hundred for new guides and the labor to swap everything I wonder if I should just live with it and save that towards new shocks since I'm already close to 70k on my originals.
Appreciate 0