BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Is there a Vorsteiner Lip Replica yet?

Just checking?

I guess the only other thing would be the Hamman rep.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

did you ever try to fit replicas? they never fit properly!
I mean i'd hate to pay $1300 for the real thing, but i'd also hate to spend $300 for something that doesn't fit right.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

There is actually About to try it on tommorow will shoot some pics up
      11-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Vorsteiner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, M5, M6

We look forward to seeing the source for this manufacturer and your photos.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsteiner View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

With all due respect to those who search for these replica items please keep in mind these companies, IE Vorsteiner work extremely hard to offer these products to you. You are getting a top notch product from Vorsteiner for a fair price. Vorsteiner can charge much more for this product if they want but they have chosen to offer a fair price to you the consumer. If you are going to purchase an M3 all you will do is cheapen it by adding these imitation products. This is what ruined the import industry please dont let it happen here.

Regards,
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I completely agree and thank you for addressing this Omar. Vorsteiner works extremely hard to provide top quality components with exceptional levels of fit and quality. I would hate to see anyone attempt to put replicas of these parts on their car due to safety and durability issues over time. Vorsteiner's components are all dry vacuum form carbon fiber so in terms of strength and construction, you cannot beat it. Certainly there are cheaper alternatives out there but you have to ask yourself if it's worth it to sacrifice guaranteed fit, Vorsteiner's manufacturer guarantee and the quality that you expect with such a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Autowerke View Post
With all due respect to those who search for these replica items please keep in mind these companies, IE Vorsteiner work extremely hard to offer these products to you. You are getting a top notch product from Vorsteiner for a fair price. Vorsteiner can charge much more for this product if they want but they have chosen to offer a fair price to you the consumer. If you are going to purchase an M3 all you will do is cheapen it by adding these imitation products. This is what ruined the import industry please dont let it happen here.

Regards,
I completely understand, but with all due respect, the prices of those products just make them not an option. I understand that they may "cheapen" my $65k+ car, but do I really want to spend that much money on a part I see as disposable? No, I do not. I also think that these replicas serve the purpose of keeping the prices of the Original Designs in check.

Not trying to start a war here, but my car is leased. I want easy entry and head-ache free exit, while more or less solving the task i set out to complete. Also, frankly I dont see those prices as "fair".
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
I completely understand, but with all due respect, the prices of those products just make them not an option. I understand that they may "cheapen" my $65k+ car, but do I really want to spend that much money on a part I see as disposable? No, I do not. I also think that these replicas serve the purpose of keeping the prices of the Original Designs in check.

Not trying to start a war here, but my car is leased. I want easy entry and head-ache free exit, while more or less solving the task i set out to complete. Also, frankly I dont see those prices as "fair".
Not trying to argue either but you make no sense. Where does this stop? Then you are going to purchase Replica Brembos, AA parts, and maybe even GP Thunders ?

If everyone had your attitude then there would be a bunch of replicas on the market.. Since these prices are "unfair"...right? What happens when these replica parts either fail or fade depending on the type of upgrade.... there is also the chance that these replicas do so good that companies like Vorsteiner or AA for that matter go out of business??? Then who is going to do the R&D for the replica companies to copy??? Frankly I think what you are saying is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tszene View Post
did you ever try to fit replicas? they never fit properly!
I mean i'd hate to pay $1300 for the real thing, but i'd also hate to spend $300 for something that doesn't fit right.
and who told u that vorsteiner fits 100%???

bottom line, bro, is the mexican worker making the lip vs. the taiwanese

@ AA: agreed, but i dont know about "fair price".. V raised their prices for the SAME parts (like the trunk) from the 335 (same fitment and everything) just coz the M3 was released. they raised the prices thinking they can jack more money out of M3 drivers than 335 drivers

@ Vorsteiner: i feel bad for u guys, but maybe u guys should look into IP law or something to protect yourselves. in any occasion ur in the same boat as a lot of manufacturers that compete against china these days.
also, please dont be offended because of my post, i mean no disrespect to your company or your work.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #11
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Autowerke View Post
Not trying to argue either but you make no sense. Where does this stop? Then you are going to purchase Replica Brembos, AA parts, and maybe even GP Thunders ?

If everyone had your attitude then there would be a bunch of replicas on the market.. Since these prices are "unfair"...right? What happens when these replica parts either fail or fade depending on the type of upgrade.... there is also the chance that these replicas do so good that companies like Vorsteiner or AA for that matter go out of business??? Then who is going to do the R&D for the replica companies to copy??? Frankly I think what you are saying is ridiculous.
What doesn't make any sense to you about my post? I don't want to argue either man. No, I wont buy replica brembos, but I would consider a less expensive alternative if it delivered nearly/exactly the same performance.

If they fail or fade, I accept that as I am paying a 1/3 of the price. If these replicas do so good, maybe you would consider lowering the price so that you would sell more units and maybe your product would be more attractive. Then you wouldn't go out of business. Just a suggestion. If you go out of business, then someone else will come along and do what you do with less profit margin. Thats the way the free-market works as I'm sure you already know.

Look, that last thing I want to do is get into it with a vendor on this site, as I will more likely end up looking like the asshole. I've been a member here since July of 2005 and consider myself to be a decent contributing member to the forum. I feel like the question I posed, while I knew would piss you guys off, was legitimate.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #12
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Quote:
What doesn't make any sense to you about my post? I don't want to argue either man. No, I wont buy replica brembos, but I would consider a less expensive alternative if it delivered nearly/exactly the same performance.

If they fail or fade, I accept that as I am paying a 1/3 of the price. If these replicas do so good, maybe you would consider lowering the price so that you would sell more units and maybe your product would be more attractive. Then you wouldn't go out of business. Just a suggestion. If you go out of business, then someone else will come along and do what you do with less profit margin. Thats the way the free-market works as I'm sure you already know.

Look, that last thing I want to do is get into it with a vendor on this site, as I will more likely end up looking like the asshole. I've been a member here since July of 2005 and consider myself to be a decent contributing member to the forum. I feel like the question I posed, while I knew would piss you guys off, was legitimate.
I agree with you
      11-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
rzm3
Rep

There are plenty of replica wheels sold by vendors on this forum: M6, CSL... or BMW badges... or tail lights... I don't think anyone had moral oppositions against those.

Heck, talking about front lips, there was a GB on Hamann style front lip, did anyone say anything about those? No.

So why are all the vendors jumping in on this guy?

This is not to say that I support knock-off products in any way, but as a business selling products that are not technology intensive, imitators should be expected. And there are many ways to differentiate yourself against the immitation if your products are really superior.

Last edited by rzm3; 11-03-2008 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

As I said in another thread, I just can't bring myself to spend $1500 for what I see as a sacrificial piece. If a rep was $300 and the real deal was twice as much, maybe I could see it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #15
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
As I said in another thread, I just can't bring myself to spend $1500 for what I see as a sacrificial piece. If a rep was $300 and the real deal was twice as much, maybe I could see it.
Agreed. $300 vs $1,600

its over 5 times more expensive and makes little to no difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
M2MG17
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post

This is not to say that I support knock-off products in any way, but as a business selling products that are not technology intensive, imitators should be expected. And there are many ways to differentiate yourself against the immitation if your products are really superior.
There is actually a huge difference between the cheaper wet lay up carbon fiber and dry vacuum bagging carbon that Vorsteiner uses. This is why BMW uses dry vacuum carbon fiber on their roof panels.

It is like saying there is no difference between cast and forged wheels.

I saw a dry carbon fiber vented hood for a S2000 the other day that was being sold at the shop for $3200 or so. I can't believe the S2000 guys would ever pay that much.

Hope this helps.
      11-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #17
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasem3 View Post
There is actually a huge difference between the cheaper wet lay up carbon fiber and dry vacuum bagging carbon that Vorsteiner uses. This is why BMW uses dry vacuum carbon fiber on their roof panels.

It is like saying there is no difference between cast and forged wheels.

I saw a dry carbon fiber vented hood for a S2000 the other day that was being sold at the shop for $3200 or so. I can't believe the S2000 guys would ever pay that much.

Hope this helps.
I think there is a difference between a hood, a roof, and a piece that goes below the car in the back and is largely for show.

If you want the absolute best, there is no question that the Vorsteiner is a great piece. But I can see those who just want a 1x1 weave that just looks decent.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #18
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:

Cmon, u guys cant really compare a lip to brakes, any BBK that is. For someone like me, living in NYC, it is virtually pointless to buy a 1600 lip when there is a very, VERY good chance that 2 months down the road I will crack the living ish out of it or almost 100% scrape it. In this case a replica makes lots of sense, these are cosmetics which are very prone to damage and to me its worth a replica. But theres only certain things i would consider a replica for, and brakes are deff not one of them nor any performance part of any kind. Come to think about it, lips may b the only thing
lol and that once again is due mainly to my location. For example, would never buy a cheap set of wheels, and i dont mean replicas, i just mean anything thats cheap due to my location, could only go with something forged, which turns out to b the best, because if not, first pot hole hit would mean a cracked rim. But anyway, with all this said, what i think vorsteiner should do is offer that same lip but not in fiberglass. I love the lip, but painted to match the car, and i know many others due as well. And being that its is not dry carbon i am sure it would cost a lot less. Therefore, vorsteiner should keep this in mind, and mayb ppl wont resort to replicas. U gotta try to make everyone happy, thats the only way to run a business.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #19
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Cmon, u guys cant really compare a lip to brakes, any BBK that is. For someone like me, living in NYC, it is virtually pointless to buy a 1600 lip when there is a very, VERY good chance that 2 months down the road I will crack the living ish out of it or almost 100% scrape it. In this case a replica makes lots of sense, these are cosmetics which are very prone to damage and to me its worth a replica. But theres only certain things i would consider a replica for, and brakes are deff not one of them nor any performance part of any kind. Come to think about it, lips may b the only thing
lol and that once again is due mainly to my location. For example, would never buy a cheap set of wheels, and i dont mean replicas, i just mean anything thats cheap due to my location, could only go with something forged, which turns out to b the best, because if not, first pot hole hit would mean a cracked rim. But anyway, with all this said, what i think vorsteiner should do is offer that same lip but not in fiberglass. I love the lip, but painted to match the car, and i know many others due as well. And being that its is not dry carbon i am sure it would cost a lot less. Therefore, vorsteiner should keep this in mind, and mayb ppl wont resort to replicas. U gotta try to make everyone happy, thats the only way to run a business.
Ditto i love Vorsteiner and their attention to detail in products. Their trunk which seems to me to be a TON more in materials and attention to detail is priced about the same as their front lip. I find this odd as the lip can only be used on an M. Is their a pres. that is going to get rid of m tax?

It just makes me mad that manufacturers increase prices 5 fold just because they are for an m. Intake for 335i is $300. Intake for M3 is 3000$. Sad part is that so many people pay $ for the parts.

Anyays i digress but point is im buying a vorsteiner trunk because to me the Duke trunk looks like crap compared to a high quality vorsteiner trunk. But the trunk is something that is not going to get all beat up after a few months on crappy roads As gthirtyfizle said
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #20
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrap View Post
There is actually About to try it on tommorow will shoot some pics up
back on topic before have you tried this yet? can you pm me details.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #21
Saturn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsteiner View Post
I look forward to seeing the source of the 100% markup on M3 aero parts over 335i parts of identical construction and fitment.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 05:21 AM   #22
Oshin02
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

I will have to agree upon Taiwanese parts are horrible parts to put on these greatly engineered cars. But I will also agree upon the fact that its still not worth paying $1000+ for a so called carbon fiber lip which is backed with 75% fiberglass as Voerstiener does We need some Co with real balls to offer full carbon fiber parts. Not make them like the Taiwanese do and put a huge price tag on them.

-Oshin P.