BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #23
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Was it the Pandora app that got fixed, or the BMW App?
pandora. just get the newest update from app store
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #24
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

Quote:
Was it the Pandora app that got fixed, or the BMW App?
Pandora.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #25
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tma1c View Post
pandora. just get the newest update from app store
Thanks, will do. Now I just need my car back! Floating across the Atlantic right now.....
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #26
Time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Yep, they released an update. Make sure you have at least vers 3.1.15
      11-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #27
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Let me know if the new update works w/ the new ios. I'm waiting to make sure I can still use Pandora before updating my phone.
      11-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #28
Time
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFAM3 View Post
Let me know if the new update works w/ the new ios. I'm waiting to make sure I can still use Pandora before updating my phone.
iOS 5 and pandora 3.1.15 work fine with my BMW apps
      12-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #29
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Anyone able to get Pandora to play in our cars with the Droid OS?
      12-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #30
Time
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
Anyone able to get Pandora to play in our cars with the Droid OS?
BMW apps won't work with droid. But it should work over bluetooth.
      12-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #31
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MMB View Post
BMW apps won't work with droid. But it should work over bluetooth.
Hmm I was trying to do that but never quite figured it out. The phone connects no problem via bluetooth but how do I get the sound from Pandora to play over the car's speakers? I looked into the media options and all I see is the USB port and standard audio jack (dont have anything plugged into those).

Any ideas? Thanks. I have a 2009 btw.
      12-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #32
Time
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
Hmm I was trying to do that but never quite figured it out. The phone connects no problem via bluetooth but how do I get the sound from Pandora to play over the car's speakers? I looked into the media options and all I see is the USB port and standard audio jack (dont have anything plugged into those).

Any ideas? Thanks. I have a 2009 btw.
You have to make sure your phone can support audio profile and that the Bluetooth is setup to work;

12-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #33
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Does anyone know if there is a way for Pandora to play via BMWApps integration without the Pandora app up and running?

I find it quite annoying that it stops working should I choose to reply to a text message or check email since that closes the app and thus the connection is lost.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #34
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenzo View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way for Pandora to play via BMWApps integration without the Pandora app up and running?

I find it quite annoying that it stops working should I choose to reply to a text message or check email since that closes the app and thus the connection is lost.

Thanks.
I think the whole apps deal is pretty annoying. Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. Stupid that I have to start the app with the phone sometimes as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #35
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks.
Have you tried multi-tasking to a different app? For example, start Pandora, then double click the home button to mail, etc. I can try this later on today.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #36
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried multi-tasking to a different app? For example, start Pandora, then double click the home button to mail, etc. I can try this later on today.
I have not tried that, but the way multitasking/background apps work with iOS 5.0+, it should be the same whether double-tapping or simply hitting home button and opening up a new app.

I think the issue is that whatever protocol Pandora and BMW use to integrate the iDrive system must be something that cannot run in the background due to iOS restrictions.

Just a guess...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #37
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not tried that, but the way multitasking/background apps work with iOS 5.0+, it should be the same whether double-tapping or simply hitting home button and opening up a new app.

I think the issue is that whatever protocol Pandora and BMW use to integrate the iDrive system must be something that cannot run in the background due to iOS restrictions.

Just a guess...
You could be right. But try it just to make sure.

I always thought it was strange that when the iPhone is in the cradle, launching Pandora, it "knows" that it's connected to a BMW, even if though you're not connecting via Plug-in.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #38
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I always thought it was strange that when the iPhone is in the cradle, launching Pandora, it "knows" that it's connected to a BMW, even if though you're not connecting via Plug-in.
Well I don't connect via a snap/plug-in cradle. I am simply using the USB port.

Also, I tested the double-tap quick app switching and it doesn't change anything - anytime you leave the Pandora app, it will stop playing. I wish I could at least find a logical reason for this, but I can't find anything online. It doesn't make sense that a phone (and vehicle) this powerful can't let these apps run in the background. As long as they are connected via USB, they should work...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #39
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
The cradle is terrible. I hate it so far. Hardly ever works correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #40
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I don't connect via a snap/plug-in cradle. I am simply using the USB port.

Also, I tested the double-tap quick app switching and it doesn't change anything - anytime you leave the Pandora app, it will stop playing. I wish I could at least find a logical reason for this, but I can't find anything online. It doesn't make sense that a phone (and vehicle) this powerful can't let these apps run in the background. As long as they are connected via USB, they should work...
Interesting. Well, at least you tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
The cradle is terrible. I hate it so far. Hardly ever works correctly.
I love the cradle, and couldn't go back to just the USB cable. The only thing that is a pain is the fact that the phone is out of reach, unless you want to pull over and fiddle with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #41
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I love the cradle, and couldn't go back to just the USB cable. The only thing that is a pain is the fact that the phone is out of reach, unless you want to pull over and fiddle with it.
It's very tempermental. Works sometimes. Other times, I get an error and it won't connect at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #42
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is one of the main reasons I haven't yet invested in a cradle. Also, I will be upgrading to whatever new iPhone Apple releases next year and I am assuming it'll be a different form factor, and thus will not fit in the cradle. Rather not have to purchase a new cradle when these cost about as much as a new phone in the first place.

Instead, I am thinking about getting a ProClip system to mount my phone just to the right of the gear shift and then simply running my USB cable out the center armrest and down the side between the passenger seat and console. I'd connect a tilt-swivel iPhone holder to this mount that would enable me to simply slide the phone out - while still connected - if I wanted to do anything while driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #43
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
It's very tempermental. Works sometimes. Other times, I get an error and it won't connect at all.
Mine has only given me the "Plugin not connected" error one time. I just re-inserted and it worked again.

Quote:
This is one of the main reasons I haven't yet invested in a cradle. Also, I will be upgrading to whatever new iPhone Apple releases next year and I am assuming it'll be a different form factor, and thus will not fit in the cradle. Rather not have to purchase a new cradle when these cost about as much as a new phone in the first place.

Instead, I am thinking about getting a ProClip system to mount my phone just to the right of the gear shift and then simply running my USB cable out the center armrest and down the side between the passenger seat and console. I'd connect a tilt-swivel iPhone holder to this mount that would enable me to simply slide the phone out - while still connected - if I wanted to do anything while driving.
I also don't want to get burned if the next iPhone doesn't fit in the current media cradle. Plus, BMW will probably take 6 months to come out with an updated version of the Media cradle. However, you can buy a cheap 30 pin female to male adapter to plug into the cradle, then attach via cord to iPhone mounted as you described above. That is best of both worlds. You get better view of the phone, 100% forward-compatibility, as well as all the cradle functionality.

Got a link to the ProClip system you're considering?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #44
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mine has only given me the "Plugin not connected" error one time. I just re-inserted and it worked again.
Mine seems to work the opposite of yours.
Appreciate 0