BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

BBS LM Can I order just a lip? Two piece wheel.

Im not finding any good responses or what I want to hear. It seems I need to order a whole new wheel.. I just want the lip, I thought that was one of the purposes of a two piece wheel? Has anyone had a similar experience or any information? Im so upset about this, but I fear I may have to suck it up and order a whole new wheel

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

That's correct. BBS doesn't sell individual parts for their street wheels. I agree that it doesn't make sense.

They do sell parts for their Motorsports wheels but that doesn't help you.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Lol well thanks for letting me know. Yea it def doesn't make sense... I'm going to see if I can have the lip fixed. It isn't bad, it's not gauged or anything just kind of like a soft shave. Nonetheless it bothers me to no end. I won't drive like that, lol.

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

There are places that make custom lips for pretty all of the popular wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LISSA View Post
Lol well thanks for letting me know. Yea it def doesn't make sense... I'm going to see if I can have the lip fixed. It isn't bad, it's not gauged or anything just kind of like a soft shave. Nonetheless it bothers me to no end. I won't drive like that, lol.
Have you looked at other car forums? Chances are, there are lips floating around in the diameter and lip size you need from another set of wheels that were damaged.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
Hai_Cheo
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

with so many boutique wheel builders i'm sure you can find someone to source you a lip for your LMs. If you have instagram try Floss_Design he gets lips and barrels for all these LTMW wide body cars and they all have boners for BBS.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hai_Cheo View Post
with so many boutique wheel builders i'm sure you can find someone to source you a lip for your LMs. If you have instagram try Floss_Design he gets lips and barrels for all these LTMW wide body cars and they all have boners for BBS.
You can't just replace the lip on a BBS LM. The LM, LM-R, etc. all have a single piece barrel/lip that is forged. Lots of people do swap out their BBS barrels for custom lips and barrels (converting them from a 2 piece wheel to a 3 piece wheel). It is a decent option but it will require replacing them on all four wheels. I'm not aware of anyone who makes an aftermarket barrel to match BBS. 99% of all aftermarket wheel manufacturers and Floss use separate lips/barrels for a 3 piece wheel.

That being said, I would think that Floss might have some BBS barrels laying around from wheels that he had converted to 3-piece. It would be worth a call...
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 08-16-2014 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
Have you looked at other car forums? Chances are, there are lips floating around in the diameter and lip size you need from another set of wheels that were damaged.
This would be difficult because it would require a wheel that has the same offset as the OP's.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
You can't just replace the lip on a BBS LM. The LM, LM-R, etc. all have a single piece barrel/lip that is forged. Lots of people do swap out their BBS barrels for custom lips and barrels (converting them from a 2 piece wheel to a 3 piece wheel. It is a decent option but it will require replacing them on all four wheels. I'm not aware of anyone who makes an aftermarket barrel to match BBS. 99% of all aftermarket wheel manufacturers and Floss use separate lips/barrels for a 3 piece wheel.

That being said, I would think that Floss might have some BBS barrels laying around from wheels that he had converted to 3-piece. It would be worth a call...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
This would be difficult because it would require a wheel that has the same offset as the OP's.
duly noted. I didn't realize the LM's we're forged together (lip and barrel).

Also, yeah I figure it was a long shot, but worth the time and effort if there was a slight chance of saving about a grand for a replacement wheel.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you guys! Ill def try on instagram and go that route.. The wheel itself is machine finished too, so while I can have a local guy "fix" it since it isn't THAT bad, at the same time then I will have one wheel that is painted, and the other 3 have the subtle lines that the BBS's have with the clear coat on them. So they just won't match. IDK.. I appreciate all the help, and I am definitely going to try to find a lip/barrel that way. Otherwise I will buy a new one and refinish the old one and keep it as a spare. 20's in NY is tough as it is, but I have done n excellent job of keeping them in good shape.

Appreciate 0