BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
nocospeed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

macht schnell pulley belt size

I just got the macht schnell pulley system and went to install this morning. All was going well until I installed the power steering/climate belt. It is too long. I ordered the 2008+ DCT kit so it should have worked. Of course I can't get the supplier to respond.

Anyone know if the pulley sizes are the same for the two kits and maybe I just have the wrong belt? The belt in question is a Continental 1084.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 12:55 AM   #2
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
A little surprised nobody has responded to this yet, but in case you are still very patiently awaiting an answer. The continental 1084 belt is NOT too long, the piece of the puzzle you're missing is that the belt is routed differently from the stock route.

I'm going to use AA instructions as a guide, since it has a nice little picture.

http://images.activeautowerke.com/in...%20onwards.jpg

That's the proper route for the Power Steering/Accessory belt for the 06/08+ vehicles. When routed that way it'll remove the excess length and you'll be good to go.

The Macht Schnell youtube video does a very poor job of bringing the new belt route to your attention, and to add to the confusion, continues to show pictures of the stock routing method even though if you pay really close attention when they're actually installing the belt, you'll see that the route is different. They only show that clip for barely 10 seconds though, and if you're not looking for it, you'd never catch it.

Anyways hope this helps, if you still need assistance.
Appreciate 2
nodemgr28.00
      06-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
mantas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 M5 CP

What about for cars that are before 06/08 like mine? I've first installed the belt the same way how it was originally and the belt was too long! It's actually the same lenght as the original, and after long head scratching I found this post, and rerouted the belt how AA shows. I don't understand why a double sided belt and single sided belt gets to be routed the same way or should it not? Also take a look at how close the belt is from the power steering pulley to the tensioner.

Appreciate 1
      09-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
nodemgr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe 6MT

Thank you thank you thank you. I thought I got the wrong belt and was pissed off. There were no instructions and like you said the video isn't clear on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vybz View Post
A little surprised nobody has responded to this yet, but in case you are still very patiently awaiting an answer. The continental 1084 belt is NOT too long, the piece of the puzzle you're missing is that the belt is routed differently from the stock route.

I'm going to use AA instructions as a guide, since it has a nice little picture.

http://images.activeautowerke.com/in...%20onwards.jpg

That's the proper route for the Power Steering/Accessory belt for the 06/08+ vehicles. When routed that way it'll remove the excess length and you'll be good to go.

The Macht Schnell youtube video does a very poor job of bringing the new belt route to your attention, and to add to the confusion, continues to show pictures of the stock routing method even though if you pay really close attention when they're actually installing the belt, you'll see that the route is different. They only show that clip for barely 10 seconds though, and if you're not looking for it, you'd never catch it.

Anyways hope this helps, if you still need assistance.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
nodemgr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe 6MT

That is extremely close and I don't think that is correct. On my 2011 it's much further. Did you get the answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantas View Post
What about for cars that are before 06/08 like mine? I've first installed the belt the same way how it was originally and the belt was too long! It's actually the same lenght as the original, and after long head scratching I found this post, and rerouted the belt how AA shows. I don't understand why a double sided belt and single sided belt gets to be routed the same way or should it not? Also take a look at how close the belt is from the power steering pulley to the tensioner.

Appreciate 0