BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

BPM

01-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Cooking with coconut oil.

I bought a big jar of virgin coconut oil after hearing it is good for you. I have been using it instead of olive oil for certain foods and it tastes pretty good too.

My question is could it be more harmful being that it has a lot of saturated fat. I watched one vid of an M.D. saying it is actually a good saturated fat and much better for you than any other oil. Especially Canola which I used to use when frying. Very rare but I do like fried shrimp.
The problem, I read, is that coconut oil will not stand up to high heat as needed to fry.

With the very cold weather we had here a week or so ago I had a dry scalp. My body is used to humidity I guess.
The vid said to melt some and rub into your scalp/hair and leave on for an hour or so. Worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I have cooked with it a few times. Kindof strange stuff as usually at room temperature it is sortof solid in the jar. Some brands seem to be better than others but it does have a very low temperature at which it burns.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
memento
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Titanium 325xi E90 6MT

there is no such thing as "good saturated fat". I would not use the coconut oil. The oil is almost pure saturated. Olive oil is 90% monounsatured. You could drink it and it would be healthy. Canola is closer to a 50% mix of polyunsaturated and monounsatured. That's still a good oil, but olive oil is better. Both are far better than coconut.
      01-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

A large number of articles I have read since I created this thread go against what you say about it. ^

This is pretty informative.

Coconut Oil as Saturated Fat
Another reason people believe coconut oil must be bad for you is misguided association: it is a saturated fat and "saturated fats are bad for you." Dietary guidelines inevitably fail to distinguish between different kinds of saturated fats and insist that saturated fats (meaning all saturated fats) are harmful.

This is not just misleading. It is bad science. Leading scientists now recognize that just as there is good cholesterol, there are also good saturated fats.

Fats are classified as short-, medium- or long-chain based on the number of carbon molecules they contain. Nearly two-thirds of the saturated fat in coconut oil consists of medium-chain fatty acids.

When we eat long-chain fatty acids, they must be emulsified by bile salts in the small intestine before they can be absorbed into our body. Short- and medium-chain fatty acids, such as those in coconut milk, are absorbed directly through the portal vein to the liver, where they are immediately available to the body.

In other words, most of the saturated fat in coconut oil is easily digestible and converted into quick energy. And these types of fatty acids are less likely to cause obesity because they are immediately used by the body and have no opportunity to be stored.

Benefits of Coconut Oil
Nearly 50% of the fatty acid in natural coconut oil is lauric acid, which converts to the fatty acid monolaurin in the body. Lauric acid has adverse effects on a variety of microorganisms including bacteria, yeast, fungi, and enveloped viruses. It destroys the lipid membrane of such enveloped viruses as HIV, measles, Herpes simplex virus (HSV-1), influenza and cytomegalovirus (CMV). Its usefulness in treating AIDS is currently under investigation. It is a main component of human breast milk and helps protect children from illness during infancy.

Capric acid, which comprises another 7% of coconut oil fat content, also stimulates anti-microbial activity.

In other words: not only does coconut oil not cause heart problems, it is good for you. To quote Dr. Mary Enig: "The research over four decades concerning coconut oil in the diet and heart disease is quite clear: coconut oil has been shown to be beneficial."(See endnote 4.)

Coconut oil is a "functional food," defined as a food that "provides a health benefit over and beyond the basic nutrients."(See endnote 5.) It is an immune-system enhancer.

For further reading: Mary G. Enig, Coconut: In Support of Good Health in the 21st Century (offsite). Also the Center for Research on Lauric Oils, Inc (offsite).

TFAs – The Real Cause for Concern
In fact, the real problem fats in our diets are the trans fatty acids, mentioned above as a by-product of hydrogenating fats. Here are just a few of their adverse effects: lower the "good" HDL cholesterol and raise the "bad" LDL cholesterol while raising total serum cholesterol levels; increase blood insulin levels in humans in response to glucose load, increasing risk for diabetes; affect immune response by lowering efficiency of B cell response and increasing proliferation of T cells; interfere with utilization of essential omega-3 fatty acids; and escalate adverse effects of essential fatty acid deficiency.

You get these effects, and more, every time you consume hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil, which is present in most processed food, including margarine, potato chips, baked goods, etc.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Kudos to the OP for using coconut oil for cooking. It is one of the best fats for that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memento View Post
there is no such thing as "good saturated fat". I would not use the coconut oil. The oil is almost pure saturated. Olive oil is 90% monounsatured. You could drink it and it would be healthy. Canola is closer to a 50% mix of polyunsaturated and monounsatured. That's still a good oil, but olive oil is better. Both are far better than coconut.
This is completely erroneous. Coconut oil is one of the best fats on the planet. It's saturated fat content is what makes it exceptional for cooking as its chemical structure will withstand high temperature without oxidizing (turning rancid). Ghee, butter, and palm oil are others that can withstand temperature. I encourage you to look at the research of Mary Enig and the Weston A. Price Foundation.

Coconut oil also has anti-fungal/microbial properties (lauric acid), reduces triglycerides, improves thyroid function and lipid profiles, aides in weight loss, is exceptional for the skin and hair, and is great as a non-toxic sunscreen.

Olive oil is good to cook with when using low temperatures as it will oxidize under high heat.

Saturated fats DO NOT cause heart disease. The lipid hypothesis is based on junk science.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ Your posts usually seem based on fact.

Hide behind the couch symbol here: Yes, I put it on my face. I did not know it was a sunscreen though. Great to know.

This one jar has seems like it is going to last a long time too.

I have not made a grilled cheese with it yet. One of my favorite quick guilty pleasures. With a dill pickle on the side.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
^ Your posts usually seem based on fact.

Hide behind the couch symbol here: Yes, I put it on my face. I did not know it was a sunscreen though. Great to know.

This one jar has seems like it is going to last a long time too.

I have not made a grilled cheese with it yet. One of my favorite quick guilty pleasures. With a dill pickle on the side.
It along with raw butter and ghee are my go to fats to cook with.

The use as a sunscreen is based on first person experience. I have fair skin, and I do not even get red after long-duration sun exposure in Cali sun.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Bweezy311
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I'm not fully informed on the cooking part, but I've heard it's good. What I do know is that coconut oil is VERY good for you skin and hair. Look it up if you don't believe me. Try it out sometime!

EDIT: I decided to pull up a site for you myself

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-...conut-oil.html
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Hides behind couch again..

I have put it in melted/warm form on my hair and scalp 3 times now. Leave it for an hour then wash out. No more itch and smooth hair.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
memento
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

And yet I find articles that counter yours. You can find articles on the internet that support all kinds of things. Your article does not prove anything the same as this article probably does not convince you:

http://www.healthcastle.com/coconut-...ed-heart.shtml

And straight from the American Heart Association:
Saturated fat
Saturated fat is the main dietary cause of high blood cholesterol. Saturated fat is found mostly in foods from animals and some plants. Foods from animals include beef, beef fat, veal, lamb, pork, lard, poultry fat, butter, cream, milk, cheeses and other dairy products made from whole and 2 percent milk. All of these foods also contain dietary cholesterol. Foods from plants that contain saturated fat include coconut, coconut oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil (often called tropical oils), and cocoa butter.

So the jury is still out and it's better to err on the side of caution until a consensus is reached. I don't consider the AHA as "junk science". You are free to bathe in oil if you'd like.
      01-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And yet I find articles that counter yours. You can find articles on the internet that support all kinds of things. Your article does not prove anything the same as this article probably does not convince you:

http://www.healthcastle.com/coconut-...ed-heart.shtml

And straight from the American Heart Association:
Saturated fat
Saturated fat is the main dietary cause of high blood cholesterol. Saturated fat is found mostly in foods from animals and some plants. Foods from animals include beef, beef fat, veal, lamb, pork, lard, poultry fat, butter, cream, milk, cheeses and other dairy products made from whole and 2 percent milk. All of these foods also contain dietary cholesterol. Foods from plants that contain saturated fat include coconut, coconut oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil (often called tropical oils), and cocoa butter.

So the jury is still out and it's better to err on the side of caution until a consensus is reached. I don't consider the AHA as "junk science". You are free to bathe in oil if you'd like.
How did human beings survive in cold temperatures without dying of strokes and heart attacks left and right when forced to eat the saturated fats found in animal foods due to the lack of available vegetation? The AHA listed every animal on the planet. Would love to see the evidence they sight for that list.

The study you posted proves absolutely nothing. There was no correlation made between heart disease and saturated fat intake. The meta-analysis I posted below included nearly 350,000 people! They found no correlation between saturated fat intake and heart disease, stroke, or cardiovascular disease This was published January 13th, 2010 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abst...n.2009.27725v1

Poor lifestyle, an abundance of refined carbohydrates, transfats, synthetic ingredients, and vegetable oils lead to the inflammation that leads to heart disease NOT saturated fats.

Dietary intake of cholesterol DOES NOT raise cholesterol levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Citation
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CVD+risk+meta-analysis+AJCN+2010-1.pdf (369.5 KB, 1754 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I don't trust half of what out government and it's agencies say anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
I bought a big jar of virgin coconut oil after hearing it is good for you. I have been using it instead of olive oil for certain foods and it tastes pretty good too.

My question is could it be more harmful being that it has a lot of saturated fat. I watched one vid of an M.D. saying it is actually a good saturated fat and much better for you than any other oil. Especially Canola which I used to use when frying. Very rare but I do like fried shrimp.
The problem, I read, is that coconut oil will not stand up to high heat as needed to fry.

With the very cold weather we had here a week or so ago I had a dry scalp. My body is used to humidity I guess.
The vid said to melt some and rub into your scalp/hair and leave on for an hour or so. Worked like a charm.
Nonsense. Do you watch cooking shows? EVOO.

As those Starbuck's foo foo drinks, mocha this, frappa crappa that, is all coconut oil and corn syrup and bad for you.
      01-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
memento
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
How did human beings survive in cold temperatures without dying of strokes and heart attacks left and right when forced to eat the saturated fats found in animal foods due to the lack of available vegetation?...
that's funny stuff right there! First of all, the average age back then was like 40. Secondly, they lead an ACTIVE lifestyle. It was either that or freeze and starve to death. And thirdly, you know that they didn't die of strokes and heart attacks? I'd love to see the medical records please.

We can spew crap like this back and forth all day long....

One thing is for sure - I agree with gonzo!
      01-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that's funny stuff right there! First of all, the average age back then was like 40. Secondly, they lead an ACTIVE lifestyle. It was either that or freeze and starve to death. And thirdly, you know that they didn't die of strokes and heart attacks? I'd love to see the medical records please.

We can spew crap like this back and forth all day long....

One thing is for sure - I agree with gonzo!
I notice you selectively did not assess the objective data presented above. It is black and white showing your side has no backbone whatsoever and it was published two weeks ago in a credible clinical nutrition journal.

What exactly does the average life expectancy have to do with saturated fats causing heart disease, stroke, and cardiovascular disease? If a diet high in saturated fat leads to heart disease, a large group of individuals who ate as such would be dying of symptoms related to the disease. Does an active lifestyle simply inhibit the action of these "bad fats" that cause heart disease?

Gonzo it seems to be on my side so I'm not sure if you have your story straight.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #16
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I am using it and I believe the independent studies.

Starbucks and cooking shows??????????

Last edited by gonzo; 01-27-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
Synergy 69
www.facebook.com/Synergy69
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335I MT

I try to get at least 3 tablespoons daily. I have one with my morning V8 then the other two mixed in with my protein shakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #18
SM_M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
Use it for sex!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #19
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy 69 View Post
I try to get at least 3 tablespoons daily. I have one with my morning V8 then the other two mixed in with my protein shakes.
Really?

I am getting off powdered protein. You melt the c oil then blend it in?

Back to old reliable.

2% milk
Egg whites
Low fat vanilla yogurt
Handful fresh blueberries

Going to look for some organic peanut butter today.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM_M3 View Post
Use it for sex!
I heard it was great for rubbing one off too....
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #21
Synergy 69
www.facebook.com/Synergy69
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335I MT

Quote:
Really?

I am getting off powdered protein. You melt the c oil then blend it in?

Back to old reliable.

2% milk
Egg whites
Low fat vanilla yogurt
Handful fresh blueberries

Going to look for some organic peanut butter today.
why are you getting off the powder protein?

no, I just use room temp water and mix and then shake up the coco oil in it. It's harder in the winter though. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #22
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

From another member re: powdered protein.

I don't recommend these commercially available products as the pasteurization and harsh processing leads to a supplement that is poorly absorbed. These processed "foods" take a toll on the body and can lead to digestive and endocrine disruption.

Also. Many brands are made from sick cattle. Nuff said for me.

I figure I can get more protein from a natural blend of milk, low fat yogurt, organic peanut butter and egg whites. Even if it is a bit less I am not drinking a sick cow. Phobia or whatever, I am not using it again. Some highly rated brand was mentioned that passes muster.

Last edited by gonzo; 01-28-2010 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0