BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

05-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
rawdenim
Glorious Leader
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Jerky acceleration - 2009 E92 M3 DCT

My 2009 E92 M3 DCT has recently been having very jerky acceleration in 1st gear.

When I accelerate from a stop moderately the car will start out fine, then jerk 3-5 times, then continue accelerating normally.

Is this a common problem or is it something serious?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

It used to happen to me a quite a bit when I first got the M. As you know we have the DCT so the car automatically engages and disengages the clutch for you making it tricky for a start out. What happens is, or what happened to me in my case is that I would step on the accelerator as if I was in a real automatic car and the car would continuously "buck" and would not take off smoothly.

I suggest that, when you are about to accelerate, hit the throttle about 5-10% and let those revs build (like a manual car) and then increase your throttle input linearly.

In your case, I think your accelerating a bit quick and the car is letting out the clutch early and it's causing that "jerking" motion. Because every times it jerks, your foot moves off and on the throttle therefore exaggerating it even more.
      05-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydenimisraw View Post
My 2009 E92 M3 DCT has recently been having very jerky acceleration in 1st gear.

When I accelerate from a stop moderately the car will start out fine, then jerk 3-5 times, then continue accelerating normally.

Is this a common problem or is it something serious?
Software update.
Appreciate 0