BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If going over 5k RPM would fuck up the car that bad, they would have put in an electronic limiter during the break-in period.

Everybody revs past during break in. Doesn't do anything. I can almost guarantee they redline all motors before they leave the factory to ensure that they are built properly.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #24
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hit 125 mph on the autobahn with less than 50 miles on the car. Just couldn't help myself.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsma
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post

Have actually heard the opposite and that if not driven hard during break in, pistons don't seal right, you lose more oil. Not saying which is right, just that there are many answers to this question and many threads and I violated my break-in quite a bit and have never had an oil issue.
There has been a bit that goes either way. Your vehicle doesn't drink any oil at all? I'm creating somewhat of a spreadsheet as I encounter more people.
I change oil often, but have gone as long as 5-6k and have never had an oil issue. The last part of this year was especially brutal on the car. Drove to and from Virginia, a few trips to Mi, and a trip up to elkhart lake, all to attend track events, put over 5k miles in that period (this was all in less than 2 months) and never had a dip in oil. It was always at the 3/4 mark until the very end when it dropped to the midpoint and I was approaching 6k miles and 6 events in that short period. This is just my experience and have no idea why, just explaining what happened
      01-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #26
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0

Some people like to follow with that break in stuff, but personally I drove it like I wanted and went to 8300 sometimes and the car drives just fine at 3500miles. It's all personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #27
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Just make sure the engine is warmed up to close to operating temperature.

Then use it as it was intended. Just don't abuse it.

I get giddy watching the shift lights so I'll run it, WOT or close, to redline, sometimes several times a drive. That's nothing for this car.

If it were an issue the M3s we drove on my 5 trips to the 'Ring would haven been dropping like flies. There were only wrecks, maybe only one breakdown that I recall.

You are fine, your car is fine.
      01-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
Sean Alexander
Long-term Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 Porsche Cayman S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsma View Post
Your vehicle doesn't drink any oil at all? I'm creating somewhat of a spreadsheet as I encounter more people.
I have a 2011 E90 M3, M-DCT, no-sunroof, non-folding rear seats, BMW break-in Svc. was done at 1,090 miles, followed by three BMW oil services in the 2.5 years since its 0-mile delivery. The car now has just over 12,000 miles. It is completely stock, aside from a great-sounding MS intake and a set of Pilot Supersports (I run wider 255 fronts).

My normal new-engine break-in procedure is: Three full heat cycles below 5,000 rpm, (meaning car/engine/transmission/fluids/etc. completely cooled back down to ambient between each cycle) using gently varying loads to bring things up to temp and seat/bed parts, etc. On the fourth day: gentle warm-up driving is followed by progressively harder loading at full-throttle in both combinations of tall-gears/low-rpm and and also short-gears/high-rpm. I do not reach nor exceed redline at any time prior to the first service/oil-change, but I do approach it occasionally after those first three heat cycles.

Normal use following break-in: I do not baby it, nor do I ever abuse it. It is driven hard on various roads, freeways, canyons and race tracks (like intended), but always driven respectfully (gently) until fully up to proper operating temperatures.

I can't directly attribute anything to my break-in procedure, and I might have just gotten really lucky (perfectly assembled/balanced/fitting engine, luck-of-the-draw, etc.) but my M3 has never burned a drop of oil, since mile-zero. The level stays exactly constant from change-to-change, every time, and the engine is stronger/faster than ever.

The icing on the cake: It is incredibly quick for a stock E9x M3. I generally do not drag race it, aside from the occasional childish pissing contest, but I do drive it hard in appropriate settings, including at several California race tracks. It has never failed to pull-away from a C63, other E9x M3s or newer 5.0 Mustangs on the straights. It isn't super-naturally fast, and it certainly cannot touch a GTR, Z06, 911Turbo or any Super/Turbocharged M3, but it has done a sub-4 0-60 and as I said, doesn't loose to other cars that are supposed to be close or slightly quicker than its performance.

Also, my particular E90 may just be the perfect combination: No sunroof and no folding rear seat, because after 12,000 miles, warm/cold, smooth road/rough road... it still has ZERO rattles or squeaks.

I take no credit for any of this. I think I just got lucky!

-Sean
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #29
Tonyfsu21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, Jet Black, ZCP

They do it all day long during "test drives" to sell a car. No big deal. They beat the living crap out of it without even warming up the car and then sell it......
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #30
Jopa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 gtr

Garage List
2010 GT-R  [0.00]
2010 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Your warranty is gone. Good luck. You should prob just sell the car now.

Yep pretty much voided sell it before the motor blows.
Appreciate 0