BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

08-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Question about flash drive use

Is there some trick to loading an itunes list onto a flash drive and getting it to play (or be able to access) all the tracks in a continuous sequence.

Currently I seem to only be able to play my flash drive music by selecting one ARTIST at a time. It will keep cycling through all the songs by that one artist. If I want to hear something else, I have to go back to the artist list and select another artist.

This can be a pain since I only have about 2-3 songs for each artist, so I keep having to play with the idrive knob.

I have no issues when using an ipod. Everything links up just fine.
      08-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Mine started off playing song titles in alphabetical order from my playlist. I liked that and never sought a change. I'm sure you can change that via the head unit or Idrive but damn if I could tell you how right now. It's one of those buttons under the head unit screen.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

If you just put all your .mp3 or whatever files in the root folder and then just choose browse directory in iDrive, it will list all of your files in alpha order and play them in that order. If the files are separated in different folders idrive will only play continuously in one folder and you would need to manually switch folders.

I've never tried this but another way might be to search by songs instead of artists and choose all songs. Then just let it go.

The third way would be to create a playlist of all of your songs and load it to your drive. Then just search for the playlist in iDrive.
      08-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Manipulate the flash drive with what you want. As noted, you need just ONE root directory if you want continuous play. I have a few directories, like 'new age', and many different artists and albums in each. I simply put artist, album, then song name so I know exactly what's playing on iDrive. And everything is in alphabetical order, so I know where to go if needed. If I want, I can always go back to directories, or anything else I want.

Another option is to just invoke 'random play', and you'd get more or less what you want. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
jra85
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

I haven't tried this myself since all of the music on my flash drive are full CDs and I prefer to listen as if they were such (only one artist at a time). But, if you prefer to keep your songs organized in folders but want the car to have access to all of them at once, you should be able to create an *.m3u playlist that includes all the songs and just load that in the car. Unfortunately, if you add new music you'll have to update the playlist each time.
Appreciate 0