BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #45
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Where did you get the alignment done?
Tires look good. I'll probably be getting the same.
I got my alignment done at wheel warehouse's shop in Anaheim. Tweaked my numbers a little bit.

Decided to go with -1.5 camber in front and -2.0 in the rear. 1/8 toe in front and 1/16 toe in rear.

The NT-05's ran great yesterday. I noticed a big difference in grip. Surprisingly, they were just as comfortable to ride on as the PS2's and Nitto Invo's. I drove with them about 90 miles to the track to break them in a little. I have Kw's, maybe that was hiding the "harshness" in comfort and noise I was told I was going to get, but nevertheless they felt good even for a daily driver. After all, it is a street tire.

noxredna: love your set up. will consider the apex wheels once more. I am currently on OEM 18s, but looking to possibly square things up.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #46
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMID INC View Post
I got my alignment done at wheel warehouse's shop in Anaheim. Tweaked my numbers a little bit.

Decided to go with -1.5 camber in front and -2.0 in the rear. 1/8 toe in front and 1/16 toe in rear.

The NT-05's ran great yesterday. I noticed a big difference in grip. Surprisingly, they were just as comfortable to ride on as the PS2's and Nitto Invo's. I drove with them about 90 miles to the track to break them in a little. I have Kw's, maybe that was hiding the "harshness" in comfort and noise I was told I was going to get, but nevertheless they felt good even for a daily driver. After all, it is a street tire.

noxredna: love your set up. will consider the apex wheels once more. I am currently on OEM 18s, but looking to possibly square things up.
How was the balance? Did you find it understeering, or able to get rid of any with some throttle?
      05-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #47
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
How was the balance? Did you find it understeering, or able to get rid of any with some throttle?
i had a good amount of understeer but i think thats because i need a learn the optimal tire pressure for these tires and also i am running 245 in front.

once i get wider wheels like apex i might go a little wider and that should help.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #48
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMID INC View Post
i had a good amount of understeer but i think thats because i need a learn the optimal tire pressure for these tires and also i am running 245 in front.

once i get wider wheels like apex i might go a little wider and that should help.
The 245 up front def does not help.
I would not run them over 40psi hot. Play around with them a touch and maybe lower the rears a bit more to help dial out a bit of understeer. If you are going to keep the tires for a while, some more camber up front will help too.

With -2 out back, any increased wear on the inside of the tires.
      05-31-2010, 11:09 PM   #49
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
The 245 up front def does not help.
I would not run them over 40psi hot. Play around with them a touch and maybe lower the rears a bit more to help dial out a bit of understeer. If you are going to keep the tires for a while, some more camber up front will help too.

With -2 out back, any increased wear on the inside of the tires.
the wear looks very even. i dove them hard and it was a hot day pushing close to 90 degrees. very happy with the tires so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 02:34 AM   #50
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

I am based in Philly - competed in the NJMP redline time attack event back in April and got first place.. Coincidentally I am posted to San Francisco for the summer so I plan to race in two more Redline Time attack events in West Coast; one of which occurred this past weekend in Autoclub Speedway Roval...

I placed 3rd in my class.. it was a tough one for me to get used to the roval and learning a new track. I clocked a pathetic 2:06 during qualifying sessions but managed to pull a 1:59 during the time attack sessions on Sunday. Competition was a lot stiffer out in the west..

I also got some help from HP Autowerks who were willing to do partial sponsorship (free labor). I plan to do a full write-up sometime this week when time permits. The car movers from Philly to Cali delivered the car 3 days late and there was absolutely no time to do my planned suspension setup with TC Kline D/A, Linear Springs, Camber Plates, etc. Only managed to switch out to DTC-70 pads and fluids.. along with my other mods from NJMP..

Yes I am running 265/35 F and 285/30 R for AD08s for qualifying. The reason why i am running high performance street tire is because it is a restriction for redline time attack and I have to run tires with wear rating above 140. The Hankook RS-3 shaved to 5/32 also gave really really good grip, but it only lasted three sessions when I did my practice.. it definitely lost its sweet spot after.. However be mindful that I am chasing the 0.5 and 1 sec of my time, so these tires are still good for 3-4 days worth of HPDE..

40psi hot for NT-05 is a little low.. Depending how hard you are driving it, somewhere between 42-45psi are okay.. I normally start mine with 36 psi cold.. and adjust them accordingly +/- 2 Psi according to hot PSI and track temperature.. try not changing them any more then +/- so you can keep track of the difference, you should also jot down in a notebook to keep track of changes for future reference.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #51
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
I am based in Philly - competed in the NJMP redline time attack event back in April and got first place.. Coincidentally I am posted to San Francisco for the summer so I plan to race in two more Redline Time attack events in West Coast; one of which occurred this past weekend in Autoclub Speedway Roval...

I placed 3rd in my class.. it was a tough one for me to get used to the roval and learning a new track. I clocked a pathetic 2:06 during qualifying sessions but managed to pull a 1:59 during the time attack sessions on Sunday. Competition was a lot stiffer out in the west..

I also got some help from HP Autowerks who were willing to do partial sponsorship (free labor). I plan to do a full write-up sometime this week when time permits. The car movers from Philly to Cali delivered the car 3 days late and there was absolutely no time to do my planned suspension setup with TC Kline D/A, Linear Springs, Camber Plates, etc. Only managed to switch out to DTC-70 pads and fluids.. along with my other mods from NJMP..

Yes I am running 265/35 F and 285/30 R for AD08s for qualifying. The reason why i am running high performance street tire is because it is a restriction for redline time attack and I have to run tires with wear rating above 140. The Hankook RS-3 shaved to 5/32 also gave really really good grip, but it only lasted three sessions when I did my practice.. it definitely lost its sweet spot after.. However be mindful that I am chasing the 0.5 and 1 sec of my time, so these tires are still good for 3-4 days worth of HPDE..

40psi hot for NT-05 is a little low.. Depending how hard you are driving it, somewhere between 42-45psi are okay.. I normally start mine with 36 psi cold.. and adjust them accordingly +/- 2 Psi according to hot PSI and track temperature.. try not changing them any more then +/- so you can keep track of the difference, you should also jot down in a notebook to keep track of changes for future reference.
Good stuff. Thanks and congrats on 3rd. There are a LOT of turns to learn on the Roval. I believe it's over 3 miles and about 20 turns.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #52
Dustin@AEp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Hankook RS3!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #53
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post

interesting.. ill try them with higher psi, but all my buddies at the track told me i should not have them too high (above 40)

ill give it another try at button willow aug 1
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #54
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

NT-01s--great tire with a great cost. A set lasted me 10 events with a flip mid cycle.
      08-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #55
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

so far so good. loving the nt-05s. definitely getting another set.
Appreciate 0