BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

04-18-2009, 06:17 AM   #23
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
let alone how sensitive these cars are to battery voltage...
What do you mean by this?
      05-14-2009, 03:21 AM   #24
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Brief update. I'm fairly certain I got a bad battery from Braille/HP.

Despite being 12 V nominal the M3 battery is supposed to be in the range of 12.5-12.8 VDC (or something close to that, don't recall the exact spec). My OEM battery is 12.7-12.8. My Braille is running 12.3. The problems that have ramped up steadily since my install are varied and troublesome. They include:

1. A lift icon on startup. Apparently some generic warning that you need service. An exclamation point in the center screen speedo/odo area that one you cycle through the stalk display options it tell you low battery. Now to really offer maximum redundancy I also get the terrible English warning of "increased battery discharge". "Low battery" or "low battery voltage" would have been a much better English translation .

2. Comfort acccess one touch entry usually fails.

3. Car does not remember time/date and trip odometer reading after shut off completely. Not having a clock in your dash/iDrive = major annoyance

4. Safety lighting feature works intermittently. (The one where you can blast your high beams for 10 seconds or so after you kill the engine to light up an area in front on you).

The helpful folks at Braille confirmed that their battery FULLY meets BMW specs of 12.5-12.8 and should ideally be right around 12.8 just like the OEM battery. They took my credit card as a deposit to return the current battery once the new one arrives, which is convenient. Unfortunately I actually caught them out of stock which seemed a bit odd.

It is quite surprising how sensitve this car is to a 0.5 V change and being just a few tenths below below spec. Seems a bit like bad design - it certainly is not robust design. I realize you need a specification and the spec is typically driven by certain component requirements. Nonetheless, it simply doesn't seem impossible nor difficult to make the car work fine with anything from say 12.5+/-0.5.

I greatly look forward to a bug free electrical system very soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #25
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the update. I was about to ask for one actually. My battery has been sitting on my desk for the best few weeks as I didn't have time to install it. Do these things come fully charged? Also, anyone else have an update on long term usage?
      05-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #26
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

I did not have similar problems except for "Low Battery" warning ... Harold also had to replace it with the new one. It is sitting in the box right now ...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Thanks for the update. I was about to ask for one actually. My battery has been sitting on my desk for the best few weeks as I didn't have time to install it. Do these things come fully charged? Also, anyone else have an update on long term usage?
Pretty sure it comes fully charged. Check its output and if less than 12.5 I'd call Braille.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
I did not have similar problems except for "Low Battery" warning ... Harold also had to replace it with the new one. It is sitting in the box right now ...
Odd, Braille told me to work with them directly rather than go through HP.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #29
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

What's going on. 2 out of the 2 batteries which were shipped to forum members (known cases) were defective? Am I getting this straight? I'll check the voltage on mine and let you guys know...
      05-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #30
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Odd, Braille told me to work with them directly rather than go through HP.
It's just to save the customer time. Because I would have to send the battery back to Braille directly for the warranty as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #31
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
What's going on. 2 out of the 2 batteries which were shipped to forum members (known cases) were defective? Am I getting this straight? I'll check the voltage on mine and let you guys know...
I don't think it is an issue with a defective battery from Braille, but more of a electrical draw issue. There are way too many electronic consumers on the E9X cars, especially with comfort access, that particular system might be staying awake at all times, drawing maybe 80-100 milliamps, which can run the Braille batter down in a few hours. a 40-50 milliamps is the typical draw on the late model BMW's that won't cause any problems.

In addtion, if the car is only drive a few miles a day, that is not enough to keep the battery charged. We have seen cars driven on city street coming in for service that only have a charge level of 70%
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #32
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
I don't think it is an issue with a defective battery from Braille, but more of a electrical draw issue. There are way too many electronic consumers on the E9X cars, especially with comfort access, that particular system might be staying awake at all times, drawing maybe 80-100 milliamps, which can run the Braille batter down in a few hours. a 40-50 milliamps is the typical draw on the late model BMW's that won't cause any problems.
Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying this battery is not appropiate for the E9X M3 with comfort access application then?
      05-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #33
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Errr, not looking good Lucid.

Didn't know the CA drew that much current. Is it on all the time actively trying to search for a transponder?

I thought once you touch the door it turns on then I would think it looks for the right electronic key.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #34
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying this battery is not appropiate for the E9X M3 with comfort access application then?
Yes a big +2 on the question. The Braile guy I talked to said their 3121 battery is perfectly suited to the E9X M3. I mentioned problems I had with Comfort Access but I suppose it could hav escaped him that I said that. I sure hope the answer is not yes...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #35
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Errr, not looking good Lucid.

Didn't know the CA drew that much current. Is it on all the time actively trying to search for a transponder?

I thought once you touch the door it turns on then I would think it looks for the right electronic key.
These kinds of systems go into some kind of power save mode, but they are, by definition, still active, scanning for a signal. So yes, CA will draw a small amount of current. However, I have had my car sit for 2 weeks (with stock battery), and I had no problems cranking the car after I got back. So, I don't see how CA is able to draw enough current from the Braille battery over a couple of days or so to cause problems...
      05-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #36
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

In addtion, if the car is only drive a few miles a day, that is not enough to keep the battery charged. We have seen cars driven on city street coming in for service that only have a charge level of 70%
It comes down to a simple question. Either the battery is suitable for the M3 or not. I suppose you might be able to qualify that and say it is OK for non CA and not OK for CA but that is really pushing it.

Are you sure CA takes that much power, ~1 watt? The system should be an RFID system that consumes truly 0 power until it has to reply. If it will drain the Braille in a few hours it would certainly drain the OEM battery in a few days, which it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #37
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes a big +2 on the question. The Braile guy I talked to said their 3121 battery is perfectly suited to the E9X M3. I mentioned problems I had with Comfort Access but I suppose it could hav escaped him that I said that. I sure hope the answer is not yes...
Just measured the voltage on my stock battery in the car: 12.46 V.

The Braille battery sitting on my desk: 12.74 Volts.
      05-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #38
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The system should be an RFID system that consumes truly 0 power until it has to reply.
You sure about this? I did a consulting project for a lock company, and we talked about these systems with them a little, and I was told they draw power when the ignition is turned off...
      05-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #39
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These kinds of systems go into some kind of power save mode, but they are, by definition, still active, scanning for a signal. So yes, CA will draw a small amount of current. However, I have had my car sit for 2 weeks (with stock battery), and I had no problems cranking the car after I got back. So, I don't see how CA is able to draw enough current from the Braille battery over a couple of days or so to cause problems...
Take note that the Braille battery is about 1/3 the size of the stock battery, therefore less reserve capacity. Although the small amount of draw is insignificant for the stock battery, it may cause an issue with the low reserve capacity of the Braille.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #40
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Take note that the Braille battery is about 1/3 the size of the stock battery, therefore less reserve capacity. Although the small amount of draw is insignificant for the stock battery, it may cause an issue with the low reserve capacity of the Braille.
Yes, but I said the stock battery lasted 2 weeks without a problem. I am comparing that to the Braille having issues with the car sitting around for 2 days as an example, which is a scenario I am willing to live with.

Swamp, Doba, what is the longest period of time your car was parked?
      05-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #41
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Swamp, Doba, what is the longest period of time your car was parked?
My car has most if not all of the above problems I described when sitting for an hour after driving for 2 or sitting 2 nights after driving for 15 minutes. The problems are pervasive and not really cycle/use dependent.

Quote:
Just measured the voltage on my stock battery in the car: 12.46 V.

The Braille battery sitting on my desk: 12.74 Volts.
Almost opposite of mine. I think you will be OK.

Quote:
You sure about this? I did a consulting project for a lock company, and we talked about these systems with them a little, and I was told they draw power when the ignition is turned off...
The receive side of an RFID system can be made truly non consumptive while not receiving. I do think this is the norm. These clever little buggers actually wake on receive and then extract the small power they need to process and send a reply signal from the signal sent to them!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #42
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

HP: Which is it, the 3121 is OK with M3 or only M3 without CA? KEY question here.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #43
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HP: Which is it, the 3121 is OK with M3 or only M3 without CA? KEY question here.
Well, we don't know what the CA system is drawing when in sleep mode. If it's more than 40-50 milliamps, we may advice not use any battery with less reserve capacity than the oem BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #44
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterzM View Post
I have already replaced mine twice and on my third one right now. So far it has been problem free compare to the first two.
OK, so this helps. Sounds like Braille might have some serious quality control issues. How long have you been using the third one?